Comic Con International 2011 officially kicks off tomorrow (!!!) – July 21st through July 24th – so we’re throwing together all of the Vampire Diaries-related info in one big post for easy reference. The best way to follow Comic Con as it happens? Twitter, of course. Common hashtags: #ComicCon, #SDCC, and for Warner Bros.-specific goodies, #WBSDCC. I’ll be tweeting all TVD happenings over at @tvdnews (I might even bribe Crissy Calhoun to tweet from there, too!) and myself and Crissy will also be tweeting other Comic Con stuff (Ringer! The Secret Circle! Game of Throooones!) at our personal Twitters: @dieslaughing and @crissycalhoun.
Some fans/sites/reporters/WB publicists that will be there: @IHeartTVD, @CAccolaWeb, @nina_network, @PaulWesleyFans, @heroine_tv, @entertainocd, @speedmouse, @cadlymack, @KSiteTV, @tbrick2, @Nedopak, @VladaGelman, @Angelized_1st, @TVGMDamian, @LauinLA, @TVGMDebra (TVD panel moderator), @ChrisMCtv (WB TVD publicist).
THURSDAY, JULY 21st
4:15-5:15 TV Guide Magazine: Fan Favorites— TV Guide is back with an all-star panel for the fans! Moderated by editor-in-chief Debra Birnbaum, Fan Favorites features your favorite talent from your favorite shows — in front of the camera and behind the scenes. Panelists include Nestor Carbonell (Ringer), Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory), Jorge Garcia (Alcatraz), Leslie Hope (The River), Zachary Levi (Chuck), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), Julie Plec (Vampire Diaries), Matt Smith (Doctor Who ), Kevin Williamson (Vampire Diaries), Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood), and others. Ballroom 20
SATURDAY, JULY 23rd (Special Notice: Paul Wesley’s birthday!)
The Vampire Diaries signing at Warner Bros. booth
Ticket Distribution (Sails Pavilion #9): 11:00 a.m.
Autograph Signing (Warner Bros. Booth, #4545): 1:00 p.m.
3:30-4:15 The Vampire Diaries Screening and Q&A — All the way from Mystic Falls, the cast and creative team behind The Vampire Diaries descend on Comic-Con for a third time! Series stars Nina Dobrev (Degrassi: The Next Generation), Paul Wesley (Roll Bounce), Ian Somerhalder (Lost), Candice Accola (Juno), and Joseph Morgan (Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World) join executive producers/writers Kevin Williamson (Scream) and Julie Plec (Kyle XY) to enthrall fans with a season two highlight reel and Q&A session. This edgy, romantic drama remains the number-one series on The CW and promises another round of twists, turns and “triangles” in season three. From Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment, and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, The Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8/7c on The CW, and The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Second Season will be released on Blu-ray and DVD August 30. Ballroom 20
Kevin Williamson will also be representing The Secret Circle (Vampire Diaries’ new Thursday night dancing partner) on Saturday. Head over to TheSecretCircle.net for all the details!
SUNDAY, JULY 24TH
1-2pm – Smart Pop Book Booth in the Exhibitor’s Hall: Kiersten White & Vee signing for A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
Myself and Kiersten White (Visitor’s Guide contributor and YA author of Paranormalcy and Supernaturally) will be hanging out in the Smart Pop booth (B4) signing copies of the book and chatting about Vampire Diaries. Smart Pop is also going all out for their first Comic Con; they’ll be giving away 1,000 FREE books throughout Comic Con weekend. Get all the details in their blog (psst, you don’t have to be at Comic Con to win!).
And be sure to swing by the (MASSIVE) Warner Bros. booth in the Exhibitor’s Hall for cool Comic Con exclusive goodies: A Vampire Diaries bag and TV Guide Magazine’s Comic Con special issue with Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, and Ian Somerhalder on the cover! For those of you not attending the convention, make sure to check your local newsstand for the issue and international fans can order a copy at TV Guide Magazine. (And please be sure to buy one!)
The clock is ticking down to the Vampire Diaries Season 3 premiere and, lucky for us, Executive Producer Julie Plec is opening up about what we can expect when the show returns on Thursday, September 15th. In addition to plenty of drama involving Jeremy, Bonnie, back-from-the-dead Vicki and Anna, Elena and Salvatore complications, Caroline and Tyler, and whether Daniel Gillies will return this season as Elijah (was there ever any doubt?), Julie tells TV Guide’s Robyn Ross that they have a lot of planned for the so-called “Year of the Originals”:
You dubbed Season 3 “The Year of the Originals.”
Plec: In the beginning, we’ll catch nice glimpses in flashbacks of a time when Stefan was a true ripper. We’ll get to see what that was like and how he got this reputation that Klaus has been holding on to because Klaus wants Stefan to be his wingman. Then, once we get into our second chapter in mid-fall-early winter, that’s when we’re really going to be digging deeply into the history of the original family and go all the way back in flashbacks to the year 1000 approximately. We’re going to tell their origin story, see where and who Klaus comes from, why he is the way he is and why he so desperately needs some therapy or a hug.
Creation Entertainment has updated the info page for their Vampire Diaries convention in Chicago, April 14-15, 2012. Creation Chicago with the Stars of The Vampire Diaries (#TVDChicago) will take place at the Westin O’Hare in Rosemont, Illinois, near O’Hare International Airport. Information on hotel reservations is forthcoming.
The page also lists a few confirmed guests: Joseph Morgan for Saturday and Paul Wesley for Sunday (the same as the Nashville con). But since a lot of text seems to be copied and pasted from the Nashville entry (including still having Nashville in the opening paragraph), we’ll take that as somewhat tentative for the moment.
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- Vampire Diaries Season 3 filming has officially started! Matt Davis tweeted the above picture on July 12th: “About to shoot the first shot/scene of TVD S3 with the lovely @ninadobrev and our awesome crew!” Ian Somerhalder tweeted a brief video of the Vampire Diaries Season 3 premiere call sheet. But most importantly, via Zach Roerig: “First wardrobe fitting down and it wasn’t a blue mystic grill shirt!”
- Do you follow the Vampire Diaries producers/writers on Twitter? For teases from the Writers’ Room: @kevwilliamson, @julieplec, @young_brian, @carolinedries, @alseptien, @turimeyer, @ronnenshine, @MichaelNarducci, @EPBleiweiss, @nickwauters.
- Entertainment Weekly’s Spoiler Room has this to say about what to expect from Stefan Salvatore as Season 3 kicks off: “Imagine the meanest, drunkest Stefan you’ve ever seen.” Us: *FISTPUMP!*
- We did this on Twitter, but might as well do it here, too: Happy, happy birthday to Steven R. McQueen (July 13th) and Sara Canning (July 14th)!
- Katherine and Klaus make TV Line’s list of Lovably Despicable Characters: “…[T]hese vamps are lovably deviant.”
- Katerina Graham Source has new outtakes from Kat’s OP photo campagn.
- WetPaint has an amusing piece suggesting gifts for Elena Gilbert’s 18th birthday. (Our favorite? A weapons permit.)
- Seventeen has a peek at Candice Accola’s workout playlist, which includes Metric and The Pixes.
- Kayla Ewell tweeted a link to the trailer for Keeping Up With the Randalls, her upcoming Hallmark TV movie.
- In a Flecking Records poll, Ian Somerhalder is determined to be the third-nicest person on Twitter.
- TV.com puts the Salvatore brothers on their list of Favorite TV Siblings.
- ClevverTV “breaks down Season 3,” but really they just talk about the photo Matt Davis tweeted.
- Ian Somerhalder wishes Sophia Bush a happy birthday. (Ian at 1:28.)
- Former TVD writer John Shiban pops up in The Wrap’s “Vince Gilligan Has ‘Breaking Bad’ — Where Are Other ‘X-Files’ Writers Now?”
The Hollywood Reporter has yet another Vampire Diaries-related interview in anticipation of Comic Con in San Diego next week. This time Nina Dobrev steps up to the plate to talk about her experience at the event so far, including who she has been able to meet, what not to do at a panel, what she’d be willing to wait in line for, and talks a bit about the upcoming season of Vampire Diaries.
THR: How will the originals impact everyone next season on The Vampire Diaries?
Dobrev: The originals have come in and now that stuff has gone to the dark side. The whole chemistry of the show is shifting and it’s going be changing the relationships between people who previously bonded. Now that Jenna is gone and Alaric is single and that Elena and Jeremy don’t have parental figures, if you will, it will be interesting to see who rises to the occasion. Everything has shifted, and everything is off-balance, so everyone is going to have to compensate in different ways.
The Hollywood Reporter has a Comic Con-centric interview with Kevin Williamson, who will be representing two CW shows at this year’s convention: The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle. Kev talks about his first Comic Con experience, why he enjoys the event so much, why the interaction between a property and its fans is important, and drops a few Vampire Diaries tidbits. (For the record, we think he meant “Klaus” instead of “Elijah” at one point, given the context.)
THR: What have you learned from Diaries?
Williamson: As a storyteller, I always felt that this type of storytelling — I call it hybrid – is part high school, part drama, part family, part vampire, part horror. I felt like all these types of shows when you see them on TV go too slow. I felt like it needed to have an energy to it. After watching eight years of 24, you can see what an adrenaline show can be like. I wanted to bring that adrenaline to a melodramatic horror soap opera. I didn’t want it to be slow and gothic and boring. I wanted it to be alive, and pulsating every step of the way, whether it’s through action, great emotion or epic love. I wanted to tell a big, huge epic story and I feel like the fans who watch it religiously understand that. And I hope more people will watch it. It’s just that little show on the CW still.
And the Season 2 encores keep rolling! Tonight at 8/7c on the CW: Rose, aka as the moment the series took a left turn in its mythology and introduced the biggest, baddest vampire the show had seen to date.
- Reaction post & poll
- Complete songlist
- Discuss the episode
- Crissy Calhoun’s recap: So Noble
VOTE FOR VAMPIRE DIARIES & CAST IN THE TEEN CHOICE AWARDS!
Miss a post this week?
- EW’s Season 3 scoop: Tyler & Caroline = Romeo & Juliet?
- Ripping Open TVD: Who’s on Top? – Supernatural Hierarchy on The Vampire Diaries
- Stefan’s Diaries #6 title announced
- Creation Entertainment: Nashville & Chicago events with Paul Wesley?
- Season 3 Casting News: David Gallagher To Appear on TVD
- Nina Dobrev PSA for PUMA’s Project Pink (VIDEO)
- Comic Con 2011: The Official Vampire Diaries Bag
- Comic Con 2011: Vampire Diaries on TV Guide Magazine’s Comic-Con Special cover
- ClevverTV: Kayla Ewell Talks Vicki’s Return, Royal Family Kids, & More (VIDEO)
- Vote for Ian Somerhalder in VH1′s Do Something Awards!
- Vampire Diaries nominations in Tubey Awards semi-finals, Round 3 (final!)
- TV Guide: Julie Plec drops Season 3 teases
- CW Summer Intern Visits Vampire Diaries Photo Shoot
- Comic Con 2011: Details on the Vampire Diaries WB booth signing
- Comic Con TVD Panel Mod + New Promo Picture of Nina Dobrev
- Friday Night Bites, July 2-July 8: Honoria Fell was a Hufflepuff
- Vote for The Vampire Diaries in the Give Me My Remote Awards!
- Comic Con 2011: Julie & Kev on TV Guide Magazine’s Fan Favorites panel + more!
Entertainment Weekly‘s Mandi Bierly has more Season 3 goodies courtesy of Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec, and this time we have a nice tease for the developing relationship between Tyler and Caroline. Last we left our species-crossed pair, they were cuddling underneath a blanket in differing stages of (un)dress. And it looks like romance is indeed in the air though, like everything on The Vampire Diaries, it’s complicated:
“We now have a mother who knows her daughter’s a vampire, and we might soon have a mayor who figures out that her son is a werewolf,” Williamson says. “When that happens, it’s certainly building itself to a family feud. That’s the fun Mystic Falls storyline that’s underplaying throughout the entire season.”
Just a tidbit: Following the announcement that there will be three more titles in the Stefan’s Diaries series, HarperTeen has announced the title of Stefan’s Diaries #6: The Compelled. The volume is scheduled for release March 13, 2012.
Well, this is exciting! Creation Entertainment has a few interesting listings on their upcoming event schedule: two special events with Paul Wesley, one in Nashville this September and one in Chicago next April.
Details are pretty scant at the moment, with Creation’s website saying details to come, but cross your fingers extra hard. While we’re pretty sure Creation wouldn’t list the events unless they were 100% confirmed with Paul’s people, hopefully we’ll get more info/further confirmation soon.
Sat. & Sun.
Sat. & Sun.
April 14-15, 2012
Huge thanks to the always awesome @melanoma27 for the heads up! And please keep in mind that all appearances like this are subject to change.