Many of you are already familiar with Vampire Support, a vampire fandom project to raise awareness about the Gulf oil spill, run by Vampire Diaries vlogger Chloe and The VRO‘s Amber. They have an amazing opportunity to gain funding for their fundraising endeavors through Pepsi’s Do Good for the Gulf program.
The Pepsi Refresh Project allows the public to submit their ideas that will better the world, and they have a category specifically for the Gulf oil spill. Vampire Support has submitted their cause – vampire fandom-themed auctions to raise awareness and funds for the Gulf region – for the $5,000 grant level (designed to “help get good ideas off the ground”) and they need YOUR help. The ideas most voted for by the public (again, YOU) will be awarded the grant.
What you can do to help them out (voting ends on August 31st!):
- Go to their page at the Pepsi Refresh Project:
- Check out how they plan to utilize the award money.
As of right now, Vampire Support is in 11th place; Pepsi awards up to 10 $5,000 grants a month. Again, VOTING ENDS AUGUST 31st. Let’s do some good, fandom.
Have you been missing the entertaining and insightful Vampire Diaries podcast featuring our very own Vee, along with The Televixen, Blast Magazine’s Connie, Lucia from Heroine TV, and From My Side of the Moon’s Lee? Yeah. Me too. But fear not, because they’re back! The Televixen has posted up their epic season 1 finale podcast, I Guess the B!tch Got the Message (title inspired by a Vampire-Diaries.net forum member). Vee would also like to apologise for her cold in that podcast. She really wasn’t well, and I’m personally impressed she remembers any of it. ;)
It’s not over for season 1 podcasts yet, either. There’s going to be a season 1 retrospective podcast over the summer, and your help is needed! The Televixen would like you to share your favourite moments from season 1, be they episodes, scenes or even fan events. Submissions need to be in by August 15th, and you can find details on where to send them over on The Televixens blog while you listen to the podcast. ;)
We’re pleased to finally announce the winners from Hub Productions’ video contest! The task was to create a video about Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder or Michael Trevino to be used as each cast member was introduced on stage at the Hub’s Australian Vampire Diaries fan event this weekend (more on that in a later post). Congratulations to all of the winners with their rocking videos, who will be receiving this prize pack of goodies for their awesome efforts. Winners can expect an email from us shortly about their prizes. Everyone else, check out the winning videos below!
|Nina’s intro by Marla||Paul’s intro by Jacqui|
|Ian’s intro by Tara||Michael’s intro by Stacey|
We’d also like to take a moment to give a very big thank you to all of the sponsors who contributed to the prize packs. This wouldn’t have been possible without them. Please take a moment to check out their websites:
We hope the fanvidders in the house are hard at work on their entries for Hub Productions’ Vampire Diaries video contest. And, in honor of the greatness that is Australia, we’re excited to announce another addition to the Vampire-Diaries.net prize packs that four lucky winners will be clutching to their bosoms: The fabulous KRMA – Kangaroos Roam Mainland Australia, founded by Australian designer Nicholas Bowes – is sweetening the deal with their kick ass Rocky Fang t-shirt. You guys know KRMA best as the label behind Elena’s and Nina’s leather jackets, so this is a cool slice of fashion, yeah? They’re amazing, so make sure to visit the KRMA website and follow them on Twitter – @krmaclothing – and send ‘em a thank you tweet. While you’re at it, follow our other prize pack contributors too: @smartpopbooks, @ecwpress, @crissycalhoun, and @madslanger.
Speaking of fandom, Jessica and Brannan of Vampire Stalkers are compiling scrapbooks for the Vampire Diaries cast and they want your help. If you’ve had a personal or meaningful experience with any of the TVD cast, why not share it with the ladies of Vampire Stalkers and be part of the project? Even if you’ve yet to meet a cast member, they’re holding a contest for cover art, so you can still participate. They’ve extended the deadline to JULY 1st, so you have a few weeks! Head on over to Vampire Stalkers to read about it in more detail.
Have you recovered yet from The VRO’s epic month of Vampire Diaries awesome? Hungry for more? Well, mark your calendars: Katerina Graham will make her first VRO appearance on Sunday, June 13th at 9 p.m. ET. She’ll talk about the show, playing Bonnie Bennett, and what she’s working on during the filming hiatus.
And don’t forget that Mrs. Lockwood herself, Susan Walters, will be the The VRO’s special guest tonight at 9 p.m. ET.
Speaking of the busy Ms. Graham, she’s holding a special fan competition: Design a Kat Graham fan t-shirt and YOUR tee could be the official Kat Graham fan shirt. All proceeds will benefit charity. Check out what Kat herself has to say and what you need to do and RSVP on Facebook.
Malese Jow wants to spread some love for the lady vampires and she’s asking fans to help her out. She posted a video to YouTube this morning detailing exactly what you can do to become a certified member of Team Anna. So watch the video and get to work! (And don’t forget to friend Malese on MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter.)
17 days of this hiatus left until we get to see “A Few Good Men” (well, those of us who weren’t lucky enough to see the advance screening at the Vampire Diaries panel at PaleyFest, at any rate). You all surviving? If not, we’ve got a giveaway to keep you going through the next couple of weeks. This week one lucky tweeter will get to read about where the Vampire Diaries began with L.J. Smith’s original quartet of books (more recently bundled up into two omnibus volumes). Read on to find out how to enter.
- To enter, simply tweet which characters you ‘ship in the Vampire Diaries to @tvdnews. It can be a canon pairing, or a couple you wish would get together in the show. For example: @tvdnews Stefan/Elena (or Damon/Bonnie, Matt/Caroline, etc). Also, please only tweet at us once to enter – tweeting more than once does not improve your chances of winning and makes things more difficult for us.
- The winner will be picked randomly using the ‘names in a virtual hat’ method (or, more boringly, a random name picker script).
- You’ll need to be following @tvdnews – we’ll be DMing the winner.
- This giveaway is open to anyone in the world, not just the USA.
- These will be English language versions of the books. Covers may differ depending on your location in the world.
- You have until Tuesday, March 9, 8pm ET to enter. (You can use the World Clock to work out when that is in relation to your own time zone).
If you have any questions, feel free to tweet them at us, or use the contact form to get in touch. We’re also planning on a few more giveaways in the future, so keep an eye out.
Good luck, everyone!
A year ago today we registered the domain ‘vampire-diaries.net’ and set up a little website and blog. Our mission was to get up information about the Vampire Diaries books, and to keep fans up-to-date with news about the impending TV series. At the time we didn’t know who would be cast in the roles of our beloved characters, what was being planned for the story, or even if the TV series was going to go anywhere beyond the ordered pilot. It never even crossed our minds that this site would grow anywhere near as big as it has. Yet here we are a year later with a TV series that keeps on blowing people’s minds, a website that keeps on growing, and a fandom that is just plain awesome.
We didn’t get here alone, though. A lot of people helped us out along the way, and we’d like to take this opportunity to express our thanks to you all.
- Thank you to L.J. Smith for creating the Vampire Diaries book series all those years ago. You sparked our imaginations and led us both to a 10+ year friendship.
- Thank you to all our old-school fandom friends who helped us out with content, costs, and shoulders to lean on. We love you guys so much.
- Thanks to Marcos Siega for being so patient and accommodating in those early days of pilot-filming, when he was quite literally the only source of information we had.
- Thanks to the cast & crew of the TV series for rocking it out on the show and giving us grade A television to look forward to each week. Special thanks to Michael, Ian, Nina, Katerina, and Candice for the kind words they’ve had for us and our site.
- Thanks to our fellow Vampire Diaries and cast fan sites who have been there with info, advice, support, and horrible puns. We’ve made some really awesome friends.
- Thank you to the folks over at the Ian Somerhalder forums on MediaBlvd for their good humour and making us feel so welcome in their space.
- Thank you to Carina, Connie, Jen, Lucia, and Melissa for various reasons, including hanging out at Comic-Con, fun times with podcasts, twitter madness, and support in times of weird. Here’s to Paleyfest, guys!
- Thank you to Susan, Ellie and Jess for stepping up to help mod the forums and get the wiki whipped into shape. Welcome them to the team!
- Thank you to everyone on our forums and on twitter. You’re an insane bunch with a wicked sense of humour, and we appreciate every laugh and entertaining message you’ve ever had for us.
- Thanks to every single person who has visited the site, especially those of you who have clicked on an ad or purchased something on Amazon through us. You keep the site going, and for that we are eternally grateful.
- A special thank you to one particular seasoned gentleman who has supported us nearly from the start and who – when we were fretting over implementing ads – found our ad-free idealism quaint, gave us a virtual pat on the head, and said, “Get the [bleepin'] ads.” You put us at ease, sir, and we’ll never forget it.
- And last, but certainly not least, extra-special thanks to Kev and Julie. If we start in on the why, we’ll never stop. We <3 you guys.
We’re sure that this next year is going to be even more fantastic than last year, and we look forward to experiencing it with you all.
Red + Vee