This week we need to start on a sad note: Our condolences are with the Vampire Diaries cast and crew on the loss of one of their crew members this week.
- Ian Somerhalder shared this photo of his dog, Nietzsche, with his followers. [Instagram]
- Nathaniel Buzolic has been cast as one of the leads in the new Supernatural spinoff, Supernatural: Tribes. Buzolic will play David, a shapeshifter, in the Chicago-set spinoff. [Deadline]
- Persia White has a new single out, “Silent Heart,” and you can buy it on iTunes. [iTunes]
- Kat Graham looked great in white at the Makeup Artists & Hair Stylists Awards in Hollywood. [Daily Mail]
- Mia Kirshner, our own Isobel, will present at the Canadian Screen Awards, which will broadcast on CBC. [CTV News]
- Sara Canning (Jenna) & Dillon Casey’s (Noah) new show, Remedy, debuts Monday on the Global channel in Canada. It also features the world’s greatest dad, Keith Mars. [Calgary Herald]
- You can stream the pilot for Star-Crossed, featuring Malese Jow (Anna) & Susan Walters (Carol Lockwood). [The CW]
- Phoebe Tonkin is on the cover of the Australian fashion magazine, Shop Til You Drop. [Twitter]
Miss a post this week?
- E!Online Exclusive Webclip for The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Official Stills for The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515)
- TONIGHT – The Originals: Dance Back from the Grave (EP112 Encore) Airs at 8/7c
- Official Stills for The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514)
- Julie Plec & Michael Narducci Preview The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Official Synopsis for The Originals: Farewell to Storyville (EP116)
- Raffi Barsoumian Joins The Vampire Diaries
- The Vampire Diaries Casts Heather Hemmens & Chris Brochu
- TONIGHT – The Vampire Diaries: 500 Years of Solitude (EP511 Encore) Airs at 8/7c
Thanks to FarFarawaySite, here are hi-res stills from The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515), airing Thursday, March 6th.
UPDATE: Stills added to the Gallery, courtesy of FarFarAwaySite.com!
According to Deadline, actor Raffi Barsoumian has been cast on The Vampire Diaries in the “major recurring role” of Markos, “an imposing and charismatic presence with supernatural origins.” Intriguing . . . theories, anyone?
Thanks to an E!Online exclusive, we have some exciting Vampire Diaries casting news. The show has cast Heather Hemmens (Hellcats) and Chris Brochu (Melissa and Joey) for appearances in the latter part of season five:
Hemmens, who recently appeared on Grey’s Anatomy will take on the role of Maggie, Enzo’s (Michael Malarkey) love interest, while Brochu will play the fun and charming Luke, a student at Whitmore college who bonds with Elena (Nina Dobrev), Caroline (Candice Accola). But relax, Delena, Stelena, Klaroline and Forwood fans because there’s no chance for romance between Luke and one of the ladies as he’s gay. Aso, he has a secret agenda.
Brochu will first appear in the season’s sixteenth episode and Hemmens in the nineteenth.
The Olympics continue and the unusually-scheduled CW reruns do too as we get a special encore of The Vampire Diaries tonight, even though it’s Tuesday. 500 Years of Solitude (EP511) airs tonight at 8/7c. New episodes of The Originals return next Tuesday, February 25th, with Long Way Back from Hell (EP114).
Episode refresher course:
- Reaction post & poll
- Complete songlist
- Crissy Calhoun’s recap: Here’s Looking at You, Kat
What’s Next . . .
- Tuesday, Feb. 25th: The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Thursday, Feb. 27th: The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514)
- Tuesday, Mar. 4: The Originals: Le Grand Guignol (EP115)
- Thursday, Mar. 6: The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515)
- Nina Dobrev shared the above photo while doing a photoshoot with The Following‘s Shawn Ashmore. You’ll always be Iceman to me, Shawn!
- Kat Graham talked to Billboard about the direction of her music career at the Heart’s Truth Red Dress Show. [Billboard]
- Joseph Morgan’s Armistice, which hit VOD recently, will be released on DVD on March 11th. [Dread Central]
- Lifetime has ordered David Alpay’s dystopian pilot, The Lottery, to series. [Deadline]
- Celebrity photographer Angelo Kritikos talked to the Huffington Post about his favorite portraits, including Ian Somerhalder. [HuffPo]
- Kat Graham shared a few stories from her trip to Jordan with UNHCR. [UNRefugees.org]
Miss a post this week?
- TONIGHT – The Originals: Apres Moi, le Déluge (EP111 Encore) Airs at 9/8c
- Claire Holt Added to The Originals Panel at PaleyFest 2014
- TONIGHT – The Originals: The Casket Girls (EP110 Encore) Airs at 8/7c
- The Vampire Diaries Season 6 & The Originals Season 2 Are Happening!
- Official Synopsis for The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515)
- Official Synopsis for The Originals: Le Grand Guignol (EP115)
- Official Stills for The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- UK Fans: The Vampire Diaries Returns to ITV2 on February 25th!
- UK Fans: The Originals Returns to SyFy on March 4th!
- PaleyFest 2014: Vampire Diaries & The Originals Panelists Announced
- EW First Look at The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Vampire Diaries In Review: Total Eclipse of the Heart (EP513) – Never Be Wrong Together
- Candice Accola Talks Tyler & Caroline with TV Guide
- Paul Wesley to Direct an Episode of The Vampire Diaries
- Episode Downloads for The Vampire Diaries: Total Eclipse of the Heart (EP513)
The CW has issued early renewals for The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, which means TVD Season 6 and OGs Season 2 are officially a go.
From Deadline, re: The Originals:
After an inauspicious launch behind mothership series The Vampire Diaries, The Originals has flourished in the Tuesday 8 PM slot despite gloom and doom predictions about its face-off with ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Its potent pairing with Supernatural has doubled the CW’s Tuesday night ratings year-to-year in adults 18-34 (+100%, 1.4 vs. 0.7), grown +150% in adults 18-49 (1.5 vs. 0.6), and gained +88% in total viewers (3.2 million vs. 1.7 million) versus last season.
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to the casts, writers, producers, and crews of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals!
UPDATE: Here’s the press release from The CW!
THE CW ANNOUNCES EARLY PICKUPS FOR
THE 2014-2015 SEASON
February 13, 2014 (Burbank, California) – The CW Network has ordered early pickups for the 2014-15 season for its hit series ARROW, REIGN, THE ORIGINALS, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and SUPERNATURAL,which will be returning for itstenth season next fall. The series pickups were announced today by Mark Pedowitz, President, The CW.
“This season we’ve had great success with our new hit series THE ORIGINALS paired with SUPERNATURAL, giving us our best Tuesday nights in years. THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is #2 in its time period in the young adult demos, and with ARROW continuing to gain among young men, and REIGN growing its time period, we now have strong nights on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday,” said Pedowitz. “I’m very pleased to announce early pickups for all five series, and let our fans know they’ll have more great drama to look forward to next season.”
The CW’s lineup of breakout freshman hit series THE ORIGINALS and fan favorite SUPERNATURAL has doubled the network’s Tuesday night ratings year-to-year in adults 18-34 (+100%, 1.4 vs. 0.7), grown +150% in adults 18-49 (1.5 vs. 0.6), and gained +88% in total viewers (3.2 million vs. 1.7 million) versus last season. In its ninth season, SUPERNATURAL has seen double-digit increases year-to-year in total viewers and all key demos, and recently had its most watched episodes since 2010.
In its second season, ARROW is The CW’s most-watched series (3.9 million), and is #1 in its time period among men 18-34 (1.4). THE VAMPIRE DIARIES remains the network’s highest-rated show in all key demos in its fifth season, and season to date is ranked #2 in its time period among adults 18-34 (1.8 – tie), and #3 in adults 18-49 (1.8), ahead of ABC and NBC. Season to date, REIGN has improved its time period in total viewers (+4%, 2.35 million) and in women 18-49 (+8%, 1.3).
This season, both ARROW and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES have also seen a 25% jump in digital viewing versus last season, and SUPERNATURAL has seen a huge 57% jump in digital viewing over last year. THE ORIGINALS was also named the most social new series of the fall season by ListenFirst Media.
The CW has released the official synopsis for The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515), airing Thursday, March 6th at 8/7c. Highlight for spoilers:
FLASHBACKS TO NADIA’S SEARCH FOR KATHERINE — While Nadia (guest star Olga Fonda) remembers her centuries-long search for her mother, Stefan (Paul Wesley), Caroline (Candice Accola) and Matt (Zach Roerig) come up with a desperate new plan to save Elena’s (Nina Dobrev) life. For the second time, Bonnie (Kat Graham) and Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) must turn to Liv (guest star Penelope Mitchell) for help. Damon baits Tyler (Michael Trevino) into a nasty confrontation, then takes off to seek revenge on Dr. Wes (guest star Rick Cosnett). Caroline and Tyler come to a new understanding. Finally, Bonnie learns of a terrifying secret that will threaten the lives of all her friends.
The episode was directed by Lance Anderson and written by Melinda Hsu Taylor.
And more good news for UK fans: ITV2 has announced that The Vampire Diaries will return on Tuesday, February 25th. The show picks back up with The Cell (EP509).