As another Vampire Diaries season ends, and The Originals wraps up its inaugural season, it’s with a mixed sense of sadness and gratitude that we announce this has been our final season as an active website.
Since starting Vampire-Diaries.net over five years ago, we have been so fortunate to share our excitement, inside jokes, and crackpot mythology theories with a humbling number of readers, commenters, and followers – many of whom have become friends. We have been allowed unforgettable opportunities and experienced overwhelming support and love. (Remember when you guys won us a Logo Superfan Site NewNowNext award?) We have watched this fandom grow into the unstoppable force it has become with a sense of awe and pride. You are a beautiful, passionate, entertaining family, and you have made this an amazing ride.
But five years is a long time and the timing felt right to say goodbye. When you’ve immersed yourself in something as all-consuming as this has been, there comes a point where you want the time and freedom to pursue other projects that are important to you. And that’s what we will all be doing as we close this chapter and begin a new one. So while we are sad to say goodbye, we are also excited to plunge whole-heartedly into these new endeavors, and we hope you’ll be happy for us, too.
So what does this mean? The site will not be going anywhere for the time being, as we discuss possibilities for the future, but we will not be updating. We wanted to announce this now so that commenters would have an opportunity to exchange off-site contact information and ensure you can keep in touch with the friends you’ve made here. Comments on the blog will be left open, though we will no longer be moderating them, so please: Be excellent to each other.
Thank you to the fellow fansites and TV journalists and recappers who always made us feel welcome, to everyone who volunteered as mods on the V-D.net forum or contributed a guest post to the blog, to anyone who ever reached out with a kind word via here or Twitter and, most of all, thank you to Julie and Kevin and the casts, writers, crews and production teams of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. We look forward to kicking back and appreciating your work every week as plain ‘ole fans as we move into Vampire Diaries Season 6 and The Originals Season 2.
And thank YOU. (Yes, YOU.)
You know, we could sit here and list off the ups and downs of this past year, but that sounds boring, right? Right. So just think about everything that has happened on The Vampire Diaries since February of last year.
Yeah, that’s a lot to discuss, wail, clap, and freak out over, right?
So thanks for hanging out with us.
Red, Kate, Abby, Vee & Crissy
Due to an increase in the amount of comments on many posts this season, it has become necessary to make a few rules and guidelines for posting comments on the site. Most of them really are common sense and should have no impact on the majority of sensible commenters.
We’d like to reiterate the point that there are only four of us, and there are hundreds of comments. We can’t see everything, so we need you guys to help us out by flagging inappropriate comments rather than responding to them. You can also alert us to any problems by contacting us, and we’ll look into it.
To celebrate the release of Love You To Death – Season 3: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries by Vampire-Diaries.net contributor Crissy Calhoun, we’re having a contest to name Elena’s teddy bear! Crissy has confirmed with executive producer Julie Plec that the bear is currently nameless, and we’re calling on all you TVD fans out there to help give little teddy a name. (Please note that this is a contest purely for fun, not a promise that the actual teddy bear will end up with the winning name.)
THIS CONTEST IS OPEN TO EVERYONE – yes, that means you too, international fans!
FOUR WINNERS (CHOSEN AT RANDOM) WILL RECEIVE: A signed copy of Love You To Death 3!
But what about the GRAND PRIZE, you ask? Crissy will choose her favorite name for Elena’s teddy bear from all of the entries and that GRAND PRIZE WINNER will not only receive a signed copy of Love You To Death 3, but also a Vampire Diaries prize pack that includes some snazzy official TVD merchandise (t-shirts, jewelry, etc). (Ever seen a wild Vee go crazy over a convention merch table? Yeeeeeah.)
RULES & HOW TO ENTER:
- Once again, YES, this giveaway is open to ALL, including international fans.
- You may enter via Twitter or the comments in this post, but not both! Comment entries are for those who don’t have a Twitter account. If you have Twitter, use Twitter!
- How to enter via Twitter: First, make sure you’re following @crissycalhoun and @tvdnews (because we will need to DM if you’re a winner). All tweets must include the name you’ve chosen for Elena’s teddy bear and these two hashtags – #LYTD3 and #TVDTeddy. [Example: Elena’s teddy bear is obviously named MR. CUDDLES! #LYTD3 #TVDTeddy] You DO NOT need to @reply to us or Crissy in your entries; the hashtags are how we will log the entries. ONLY ONE TEDDY BEAR NAME PER TWEET. Also, if your tweet does not include BOTH hashtags, your entry will not count. Do not tweet the same name multiple times. Each of your entries must be unique. You may enter more than once, HOWEVER if you spam the entries, we reserve the right to ask you to stop. If you continue to spam after we’ve asked you to ease up, we will disqualify you. Let’s be reasonable!
- How to enter if you DO NOT have Twitter: Leave a comment on this post, but make sure you do so with an email address. (As in filling in space where it asks for your email address under username; we won’t publish your email!) We need a way to contact you if you win! You may leave multiple entries, but as mentioned above, please be reasonable and don’t spam the comments. Only one teddy bear name per entry!
- Your entry may not be STELENA, DELENA, STEFAN OR DAMON. Sorry to be fun-killers but this is a simple way to avoid too many duplicate entries. Remember: Crissy will be picking a favorite grand prize winner, so you need to be creative, funny, unique.
- Deadline for entries is THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 11:59 PM EASTERN. Winners will be notified next week.
Contest starts now! GOOD LUCK!
It’s that time again! The Vampire Diaries cast and crew are heading back to work, and so are we! Team V-D.net appreciates everyone’s patience with the slowdown on the site, we’ve collectively had a lot of regular life things on our plates these last few weeks. The whole fandom is still slogging along through hiatus hell, but there’s action in Atlanta and if you listen very carefully you can almost hear the TVD machine starting to gear up for Season 4. Michael Trevino even tweeted a table read picture!
Season 4, you guys! It’s really happening!
The new season premieres on Thursday, October 11th. That’s an awfully long wait, but Comic-Con 2012 is kicking off this week in San Diego, so hopefully we’ll get some good hints, interviews and of course, pictures! Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Zach Roerig, Michael Trevino, Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec will all be attending. The Vampire Diaries panel is in Ballroom 20 from 3:30-4:15pm on Saturday, July 14th.
As we mentioned last week, Kat Graham was a presenter at Logo’s NewNowNext Awards on Thursday night, and Logo aired the big show tonight. (You’re up soon, West coast!) Oh, and remember that NNN award Vampire-Diaries.net was nominated for, the Superfan Site Award? In rather surprising and super-humbling news, we won! You crazy people voted your hearts out for us and we actually won! How cool is that? We really can’t thank you enough, here or on Twitter.
You can watch the entire awards show on LOGO’s website. Kat accepts the Superfan Site Award on our behalf at about 1 hour and 30 seconds into the show.
The NewNowNext Awards are tonight, and there’s a live red carpet show! Vampire-Diaries.Net is up for the Superfan Site Award, and we’re thrilled to be included in this exciting event.
The actual awards show won’t air until Monday, but they’re being filmed tonight and Kat Graham will be there, and the red carpet show will be streaming live tonight, with cool interactive features.
Want a chance to ask Vampire Diaries’ Kat Graham a question? See what she is wearing? You can watch live or you have the chance to participate in the chat via Watchitoo by going to www.NewNowNex.com tonight at 8:30/7:30c. Just plug in your webcam to ask questions and dish with your favorite celebs while they are walking the red carpet.
The 2012 NewNowNext Awards, hosted by Kelly Osbourne, premiere Monday, April 9 at 10/9c only on Logo but we’ll be streaming the red carpet live TONIGHT!
The show starts at 8:30pm EST tonight, watch it live at NewNowNext.com, and be sure to tune in for the awards show itself on Monday, April 9 at 10/9c!
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- First up this week: shameless self-promotion! Please take a minute to vote for Vampire-Diaries.net in LOGO’s NewNowNext Awards. We really appreciate your support!
- ICYMI: Torrey DeVitto designed an awesome shirt to raise awareness for Hospice. If you haven’t gotten one yet, you can still order.
- Last chance to enter to win dinner with Paul Wesley and Torrey DeVitto in support of Global Roots. Contest ends TONIGHT!
- Vampire Diaries casting call: TVD is looking for real nurses.
- Sara Canning to star in Canadian spin-off of “Primeval”.
- Malese Jow smiles for the camera.
- Good news for younger Nina Dobrev fans: Perks of Being A Wallflower will have a PG-13 rating, not an R.
- Ian Somerhalder has nominations in the Shorty Awards Actor and Green categories.
- The Alloy Vampire Diaries Twitter account is also nominated, in the TV Show category.
- Playboy.com interviews Michaela McManus, aka Jules. It’s a nice interview, but beware of NSFW ADS.
- What Vampire Diaries related trending topics would Julie Plec like to see?
- Ian Somerhalder tweeted about finding something unusual at the Salvatore house. KITTENS!
- Here’s a picture of them. Go ahead and say it: Awwww!
- Don’t forget to wish David Anders a happy birthday on Sunday!
Vampire-Diaries.net has been nominated for a NewNowNext Award! LOGO has added a fansite category to the annual awards, and we’re beyond thrilled to have been given a nod. Here’s a little bit about the awards, for anyone unfamiliar:
The NewNowNext Awards are turning five this year and once again will be shining a light on the trends that are about to be hot and the stars that are starting to burn bright. From awards for “Next Must See Movie” and “Next Mega Star” to the much coveted “Cause You’re Hot” honor, see what everyone will soon be buzzing about at the NewNowNext Awards.
This site is nominated in the ‘superfan site’ category, described below:
Remember when you were a member of your favorite star’s fan club? Ever write away for an official photo or an autograph? That is so 2001. Thanks to Tumblr, Blogger and the power of The Internets, you don’t need a fan club membership anymore. You’re running your own outfit now. The World Wide Web is at your fingertips, and these superb fan Web sites are so creative, so connected, so buzzworthy and so influential, even the stars they worship actively take notice.
You guys, we are so, SO excited! We’re going to need some help, though, so we hope the TVD fans will come out to support us. As far as we can tell, you can vote as often as you like, so spread the word and feel free to go absolutely nuts on our behalf! The awards show will air on April 9th, 2012, on the LOGO network.
Seriously. Thank you. To the kick ass crew and cast of the show for making us proud to support them, to Julie, Kevin and the writers for a fantastic TV series, to L.J. Smith for creating a world that inspired us as kids and brought us here. And thank you to every person who has supported us over the past 3 years, be it by contributing news and articles, posting comments and forum threads, or just coming back to visit the site every day.
You all help make this site what it is, and we love you for it.