Happy Holidays to the writers, cast and crew of the Vampire Diaries, and to all fans everywhere! We hope that you’re having a fantastic holiday season, and are blessed with the excellent company of family and friends.
All our love,
The Vampire-Diaries.net Staff
In light of recent drama, and because we have been receiving a lot of questions, we feel it’s time to set the record straight on a few things.
This weekend is the long-awaited EyeCon Vampire Diaries Convention, March 25-27, when fans the world (!!!) over will converge on Atlanta, Georgia for two and a half days of TVD goodness. I (Vee) and our very own episode recapper/author Crissy Calhoun will be in attendance, holding down the fort at the ECW Press/Smart Pop Books booth in the EyeCon Vendors’ Room. We will be selling/signing our books: Love You To Death: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries by Crissy Calhoun (ECW Press) and A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries, edited by Red & myself (Smart Pop Books). We will also have lots of other titles from ECW and Smart Pop! Crissy and I would love to meet you, talk TVD with you (I’m especially obsessed with hearing your sacrifice theories at the moment, the more crazycakes, the better!), and sign your books (if you already have them, please bring them with you!). If you don’t come to our booth and talk to us, we’ll have to pass the time singing “Wuthering Heights” and doing an interpretive dance. No one wants that, so stop by and distract us with stunning conversation!
If you caught our interview on The VRO this past Wednesday (missed it? listen here!), you know we have some cool plans in store. In addition to Vampire-Diaries.net and Vampire Support teaming up to cover the big event (wi-fi/phone networks willing!) via our blogs and Twitter (make sure you follow @tvdnews and @VampireSupport), we’re also collaborating on what we’ve dubbed a “Fandom Photo Booth.” We want to showcase YOU, the fans in attendance. Check out Chloe’s video explaining the details:
We really hope you’ll stop by the “photo booth” and have a blast. We’re excited about TVD fans bringing their personalities and originality to this and can’t wait to feature the final results on the blog and in the Gallery.
As you may have heard by now, Vampire Support has landed an exclusive video interview with Ian Somerhalder about all things Ian Somerhalder Foundation – but that’s not the only TVD cast member Ms. Chloe will be chatting with this weekend. Michael Trevino has been awesome enough to grant a video interview as well and we’re going to be gathering fan questions for him. Stay tuned tomorrow for a post all about it and start getting creative!
Make sure to leave a glass of doppelganger blood out next to the cookies!
Hope our American readers enjoyed their holiday weekend! If you noticed we’ve been a bit quiet this week, don’t worry – we’re indulging in some much-needed “cleaning” on the site, including a layout overhaul. Not a small task but we hope you will be as excited about the final result as we are.
We’re often asked about helping out with the site, joining the V-D.net staff, etc. We’ve been humbled by the support and we’re happy to announce that the chance has finally arrived! We are looking for two passionate, reliable, and detail-oriented fans to join the staff of Vampire-Diaries.net (on a volunteer basis!); specifically, we are looking to complete our brand new editorial staff for the Vampire Diaries Wiki. (Congrats to Sola, our new Wiki Managing Editor; Sarah, Assistant Editor; and Erin, Wiki Editor – TV Series.) Getting this section of the site whipped into shape is going to be a huge priority over the next few months; it’ll be cool to get in on the ground floor of the changes being made! We’ll also be re-opening Wiki registration again soon – so stay tuned.
Open positions are listed below; please contact us with desired position in the subject line and include your previous experience and links to examples of your work.
BOTH POSITIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED! Thanks so much to everyone who submitted!
Smart Pop Books (our wonderful publisher, and yes we’re biased) has posted the complete Table of Contents (re: essay titles/subjects) for A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries. And we tweeted this out a few weeks ago, but never posted it to the blog – it’s a back cover blurb! And a real, actual, honest-to-goodness bar code! (Click the cover to see a bigger, readable version in the Gallery.) The anthology hits bookshelves on October 19th, but you can pre-order your copy now.
Smart Pop has also has kicked off something special in celebration of Visitor’s Guide: During Season 2, book contributors will be writing recaps, blog posts, and “just generally sharing their thoughts on the season.” The first post – The Vampire Diaries: Caroline is “Seriously Badass” – is by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, who wrote a wonderful essay on Caroline for the book. She has a fantastic take on the show’s recent developments so check it out (Season 2 spoilers!), and stay tuned to the Smart Pop blog for more.
And there are already a few Visitor’s Guide giveaways floating about if you’d like to try and win a copy. You can enter contributing author Claudia Gray’s contest or enter the YA book blog Page Turners contest. And speaking of Page Turners, we wanted to extend a HUGE thank you to Stacey and company for being so supportive of the book, its authors, and this site. They’ll be running interviews with Visitor’s Guide contributors (Alyxandra Harvey is already up, and they even interviewed us), so be sure to check them out and give them a follow on Twitter: @PageTurners.
Most of you may have noticed that the site has been pretty unstable for the past few days with a few instances of downtime (for which we apologise). It seems that you all are so enthusiastic about the show that you’ve broken the site a couple of times. ;)
Because of this, our hosts are going to be making some adjustments to the server the site is on in the hopes of making it more stable. With any luck, this should help solve the problems with downtime and help the site run more smoothly.
The website is scheduled to go down at sometime around 4am ET (1am PT, 9am BST), but the maintenance could start earlier or later than that. Given the time, hopefully most of you won’t be inconvenienced by this, and when you visit again in the morning, it’ll be up and running again.
We unfortunately lost the blog post about the live-tweet of “Isobel” from Thursday, and are also sitting on a few little bits of news until we’ve got the website stable again. We also lost a chunk of forum posts yesterday, and if you signed up for the forums yesterday you may find you need to sign up again because your membership was lost when a backup was installed. Sorry about that.
Thank you to EVERYONE for your patience and show of support over the past few days. The Vampire Diaries fandom rocks.
A year ago today we registered the domain ‘vampire-diaries.net’ and set up a little website and blog. Our mission was to get up information about the Vampire Diaries books, and to keep fans up-to-date with news about the impending TV series. At the time we didn’t know who would be cast in the roles of our beloved characters, what was being planned for the story, or even if the TV series was going to go anywhere beyond the ordered pilot. It never even crossed our minds that this site would grow anywhere near as big as it has. Yet here we are a year later with a TV series that keeps on blowing people’s minds, a website that keeps on growing, and a fandom that is just plain awesome.
We didn’t get here alone, though. A lot of people helped us out along the way, and we’d like to take this opportunity to express our thanks to you all.
- Thank you to L.J. Smith for creating the Vampire Diaries book series all those years ago. You sparked our imaginations and led us both to a 10+ year friendship.
- Thank you to all our old-school fandom friends who helped us out with content, costs, and shoulders to lean on. We love you guys so much.
- Thanks to Marcos Siega for being so patient and accommodating in those early days of pilot-filming, when he was quite literally the only source of information we had.
- Thanks to the cast & crew of the TV series for rocking it out on the show and giving us grade A television to look forward to each week. Special thanks to Michael, Ian, Nina, Katerina, and Candice for the kind words they’ve had for us and our site.
- Thanks to our fellow Vampire Diaries and cast fan sites who have been there with info, advice, support, and horrible puns. We’ve made some really awesome friends.
- Thank you to the folks over at the Ian Somerhalder forums on MediaBlvd for their good humour and making us feel so welcome in their space.
- Thank you to Carina, Connie, Jen, Lucia, and Melissa for various reasons, including hanging out at Comic-Con, fun times with podcasts, twitter madness, and support in times of weird. Here’s to Paleyfest, guys!
- Thank you to Susan, Ellie and Jess for stepping up to help mod the forums and get the wiki whipped into shape. Welcome them to the team!
- Thank you to everyone on our forums and on twitter. You’re an insane bunch with a wicked sense of humour, and we appreciate every laugh and entertaining message you’ve ever had for us.
- Thanks to every single person who has visited the site, especially those of you who have clicked on an ad or purchased something on Amazon through us. You keep the site going, and for that we are eternally grateful.
- A special thank you to one particular seasoned gentleman who has supported us nearly from the start and who – when we were fretting over implementing ads – found our ad-free idealism quaint, gave us a virtual pat on the head, and said, “Get the [bleepin'] ads.” You put us at ease, sir, and we’ll never forget it.
- And last, but certainly not least, extra-special thanks to Kev and Julie. If we start in on the why, we’ll never stop. We <3 you guys.
We’re sure that this next year is going to be even more fantastic than last year, and we look forward to experiencing it with you all.
Red + Vee
At long last, we have some episode stills for episode eleven of the Vampire Diaries, “Bloodlines”, courtesy of SpoilerTV. We’ve got our first look at Bree (Gina Torres) and Anna (Malese Jow), along with Elena, Damon and Jeremy. Hopefully we’ll be seeing more stills soon.
We should be slipping back into a more regular posting schedule now that the holidays are (almost) over. We’ve had a break, and are now recharged and waiting impatiently for January 21 to hurry up and get here. ;)
We’d also like to take a moment to apologise for the Infernal Server Errors that keep cropping up – if you encounter these errors, hitting refresh a couple of times should fix it. We’re working with our hosting support to try and work out what exactly is causing it so we can fix it. It’s likely something to do with the recent WordPress upgrade, and hopefully we can get it fixed soon without resorting to reinstalling it.