Thanks to Fan Forum: Ian Somerhalder for the heads up on this super-brief video of Ian and Paul Wesley on the SCREAM Awards red (well, checkered) carpet:
Thanks to @LilMissX we’ve got our first look at Lexi, as played by Arielle Kebbel, who will be appearing in the eighth episode of The Vampire Diaries, 162 Candles. We’re not sure that Matt will be entirely pleased to find out his pool table has been hijacked…
Finally, apologies for the downtime earlier. Our hosts implemented some fixes to help reduce server load, only accidentally missed a few files they were supposed to unlock again when they were done. This resulted in ‘403 Forbidden’ errors making an unwelcome appearance across the site. As soon as the fault was reported, they got it fixed quickly (they’re awesome like that), and everything should be working smoothly again. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.
Update: We’d like to say a big thank you to the people who donated money to put towards running costs today. Between the money Vee and I have put together and the money you guys have donated, we’ve all ensured that the running costs of the site are covered for the next month. Huge amounts of love to you all, and to the people who re-tweeted the plea for help on twitter. We appreciate it so much. You guys are all fantastic.
Today we’ve had a reality check. We’d like to be all idealistic and remain ad-free, but in order to cover the costs, the only sane solution is to get some revenue from adverts on the site. So, for the sake of the site, we’re biting the bullet and we’re going to be looking at getting some ads in place as soon as possible.
Now, it will likely be at least a month before we see any kind of payment for any advertising, so if you can spare a couple of dollars to help us cover our bases for another month, we would be eternally grateful. After this, we hope we never have to make a plea like this again.
So to sum up, you all rock, and we have a plan of action. :)
We rounded up this factoid last night and weren’t quite 100% on it; seeing as the name popped up in our comments too, we feel pretty confident in saying that our Jason Harris in the Vampire Diaries: A Darker Truth webisodes is an actor by the name of Matt Perello. The only major credit we could find to his name is a film called Last Bullet. You can see his bio on the film’s website. (Thanks to Danielle and jlgparis for the info.)
Also: The start of our Vampire Diaries Episode Index is now up. Not much there now as we await network synopses and some titles for post-Pilot episodes, but you can get an idea for how we’re planning to organize it. The landing page will be fairly streamlined, with the bulk of info for each episode living elsewhere on the site. (And can we just mention that we’re getting more and more excited about adding to this? And soon? A note about the episode numbering: We went with the production numbers to avoid confusing the slew of you who follow the production team/cast on Twitter. If you’re still confused why you see different episode numbers elsewhere, check out the infobox on the Pilot episode entry in the Wiki for clarification.)
- [Images] Obviously this will link to that episode’s stills in our Media Gallery.
- [Spoilers] In an effort to curb some of the more spoilery spec here on the blog, spoilers will now live in the Spoiler Zone in our discussion forum. There are two reasons for this: 1) We wanted to make the choice to seek out spoilers just that – a choice. If you click into the Spoiler Zone and then come crying to us about being spoiled, we won’t have any sympathy for you, and 2) relegating the spoilers to the discussion forum will make it easier for people to talk about them freely, away from virgin eyes. That said, we’ve removed a lot of specifics from the spoilers posted (and context). From this point forward, we’re into building anticipation (and we know some of you live for spoilers), not ruining major plot points. That said, this doesn’t mean we’re eliminating spoilery topics from the blog completely and we’ll continue to use the spoiler banner to give a heads up. (And now “spoiler” doesn’t even sound like a real word anymore after all of that.)
- [Wiki Entry] This is where you will find expanded info about each episode, including a detailed synopsis (after the episode has aired in the U.S.), other cast info, trivia, production details, music, quotes, reviews, etc. And it’s as good as you help make it, so why not sign up for the Wiki and help out?
SpoilerTV has an synopsis for “Night of the Comet” (1.01 or episode 2) up on their site, via the CW. If you want a play-by-play of the ep, by all means – have at it. If you’d rather have a general, abbreviated version, you can check it out on the Episode Index page.
And finally, we have a slew of new spoilers up. Again, visit the Episode Index to pick your poison.
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE DON’T EMAIL US ENTRIES.
We’ve found ourselves on the receiving end of some amazing fandom love and generosity and we think it’s only right to pass on the good karma. We know a lot of you were unable to make it to San Diego for Comic Con and have been envying some of the Vampire Diaries goodies featured at the Warner Bros. booth. Well, here’s your chance to score some of that sweet schwag – we’re having our very first contest! (Damon is smirking because we’re going to ask you to flex your witty one-liner muscles for this one.)
- TWO big winners will each receive a Vampire Diaries Comic Con bag
- THREE runners-up will each receive a Vampire Diaries poster and button
Here are some (not-so-great) snapshots of the limited edition bags, the button (bit blurry, but you get the idea of the size), and the poster.
Write a caption for this photo of Elena, Stefan, and Matt (click to enlarge).
What is a Caption Competition?
The point of a caption competition is to come up with a snappy (usually funny, sometimes profound) caption based on what springs to mind when looking at a given picture, often based on something that sticks out to the viewer. They’re usually no longer than a couple of sentences, though can be presented in the form of a short conversation between any people who may be in the picture.
“Matt and Stefan only started to appreciate the depths of Tyler’s evil when they realised that he’d super-glued their hands together.”
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE DON’T EMAIL US ENTRIES.
- One entry per person. One caption per entry. You get one shot!
- Keep it clean, please.
- If you use their names in your caption, spell Stefan and Elena correctly – if you don’t, you’re automatically disqualified. NO exceptions.
- Email your caption entry to contest [at] vampire-diaries [dot] net. Please include the name you would like to be identified by on the website.
- Deadline: Entries must be received by Friday, August 14th at 11:59 p.m. Western U.S. time. (To find out what time that is in your area, check The World Clock.)
This contest is open internationally. We don’t care if you’re in Poland, Bulgaria, Brazil, Thailand, Israel, etc. – if you live on planet Earth and you win, we will mail the goods to you.
After the deadline:
- We will narrow the entries down to our 10-15 favorite submissions.
- We will then post that top 10-15 in a poll on the website (who submitted what will remain anonymous).
- The readers of Vampire-Diaries.net will vote for their favorite caption.
- The five entries with the highest number of votes at the end of the voting period will be our winners. The two entries with the most votes will win the Vampire Diaries Comic Con bag, and the three runners-up will win the Vampire Diaries poster/button.
- Winners will be notified and celebrated on the website!
Contest starts now – have fun! We look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Again, deadline for entries is Friday, August 14th at 11:59 p.m. Western U.S. time. And please spread the word!
THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE DON’T EMAIL US ENTRIES.
As you can probably tell, we’ve given the layout a complete overhaul along with the reinstallation of WordPress. There were a lot of little things that kept niggling at us, and it’s often very difficult to try and modify other people’s code to get it to do what you want it to. So, the solution was for me to build the layout up from scratch so we can do with it what we want to with much more ease.
Both Vee and I have been really taken with what we’ve seen of Stefan’s bedroom in the trailers and promo shots, and so we decided to use that as a base for inspiration for the layout, and went with a journal-esque theme because, well, it’s the Vampire Diaries after all. ;)
The biggest reason for the change was that the site has grown so much bigger than we ever expected it to (which is in no small part down to all you awesome people who send us information, visit the site, comment on articles, and link to our content – thank you!), and because of that we needed a layout that would better suit what we need from it for adding content in a sensible manner. In the near future we’re planning to expand on the information we already have up for both the books and the TV series, as well as add new sections to the site for when the TV series airs: episode guides, music from the series, more in-depth character pages, and other things of that nature.
So those are our plans for the near future. In the immediate future there may be the odd glitch from time to time as we tweak bits here and there, or modifications to plugins might cause random tweets or email notifications to go out. So, apologies in advance, and thanks for your patience. :)
Just a heads-up to let you all know that the site will be going down at some point tomorrow (4th July), likely between 5am and 7am EST. The recent upgrade from WordPress 2.7 to 2.8 has left a few things behind the scenes of the site a little wonky, so I’d decided to save the last few shreds of my sanity and solve it with a fresh install. The site shouldn’t be down for more than 30 minutes, and likely won’t affect most of you. I don’t foresee any problems, but I have the requisite goat on standby. Just in case. ;)
Update: Reinstall seems to have gone relatively smoothly, just tweaking bits now.
No, we’re not dead – just taking a bit of a breather. We said BRING ON THE PROMO and the past few days have certainly obliged! A few things:
A big “Hola!” to our new affiliates: Vampire Diaries Web (a new fansite for the TV series), Nina Dobrev Fan, and Ian Somerhalder Online. And a special shout-out to Jen (of Nina Dobrev Fan) and Eny (of Ian Online) for being so supportive and so cool.
And thanks to everyone who’s been hitting the site like crazy this week; luckily we were prepared for the traffic onslaught. Also, thanks to all of the sites who have been linking to us for more info on all things Vampire Diaries. Now that the TV series is a go, expect lots of analyzing and updates throughout the site. (Especially in the Vampire Diaries Wiki, hurrah!)
Most of you have probably seen these already, but in case you haven’t: CW Upfront and After-Party photos can be seen at Vampire Diaries Web, Nina Dobrev Fan, and Ian Online. Looks like Zach Roerig (who is playing Matt Donovan) was also in New York for the shindig.
There is an alternate promo pic of Somerhalder, Dobrev, and Wesley that you can also see over at Ian Online.
Watch out, we’re planning on taking over the world next! Okay, maybe not. That’s perhaps a little too ambitious. For now… ;)
So, for those of you who live on MySpace, you can now find us there.
Feel free to add us as friends. We’ll be adding more to it at some point soon once we’re used to it and have things worked out, but for now we have the usual links and an RSS feed to display the news blog on there. We also have a surprisingly static layout – no loud backgrounds or animated gifs to be seen. Hopefully this doesn’t mean we fail at MySpace before we even start. ;)
We’re pleased to announce our spanking new forums for discussion of all things Vampire Diaries. We hope that it will be a place for both fans of the books and the TV series to hang out, discuss the series and other topics, and get to know each other.
Please feel free to sign up, post to the topics already there, and to start your own Vampire Diaries discussions. We look forward to chatting with you. :)