Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks.
- Ian Somerhalder gets behind the camera for this picture, which he was kind enough to tweet to us.
- Bullett interviews Steven R. McQueen.
- Check out this fantastic interview with our own Crissy Calhoun, Author of the I Love You To Death TVD companion books.
- Some Covington, GA residents have mixed feelings about having a TV show filmed in their town.
- More from Covington, GA, residents discuss the pros and cons of filming TVD in town.
- Sara Canning in new Canadian film, I Put A Hit On You.
- Steven R. McQueen will be a guest at Creation Entertainment’s Grand Slam: The Star Trek & Sci-Fi Summit XVIII convention in Burbank, CA.
- Ian Somerhalder talks politics and social issues on Yap.TV. (VIDEO)
- More from Ian on Yap.TV, this time discussing women’s issues, the challenges of being a young voter and more. (VIDEO)
- Tongue-in-cheek piece suggesting gifts for Damon, Elena and Stefan. (We think everyone in Mystic Falls would enjoy their suggestion for Stefan, by the way!)
We’re feeling all sorts of nostalgia right now with the chatter/photos coming out of Covington, Georgia – season finale filming is almost done. You’ll notice we haven’t been blogging said photos or some of the recent finale spoilers. This was a judgement call on our part. The photos are spoilery and showcasing them here on the front page of the site seemed unfair to those who really want to be surprised by what’s coming. That being said, if you eat spoilers for breakfast, it’s a total free-for-all in the Spoiler Zone of our forums. But keep in mind: Take everything with a grain of salt.
As we tweeted this morning, The Vampire Diaries: The Complete First Season is available for pre-order on DVD and Blu-Ray. The U.S. Amazon store has had a Vampire Diaries DVD pre-order listing for a while, but the Blu-Ray listing seems to be a recent addition. Still no concrete release date or U.S. cover art but we expect that will be surfacing soon. For those who asked about the pricing – as Craig pointed out, Amazon has a pre-order price guarantee. If the price drops before the item ships, Amazon honors the lower price.
You’ll notice the U.K. listing features cover art – we don’t know for 100% certain that it’s legit. We’ll clarify as soon as we know for certain.
The intrepid and awesome Ella (who supplied us with some of the first set pics way back when the series started filming) paid another visit to Covington today, and got some shots of Paul Wesley and Matt Davis filming some scenes together. We’ve got a few for you here, and you can view the rest of the batch over in Ella’s album in our gallery.
If you’d like to feature these images on your own site, please make sure you contact Ella for permission.
Many thanks to Ella for sending us this external shot of the Mystic Grill (which is the local hangout for the residents of Mystic Falls in the Vampire Diaries TV series). It’s looking pretty swish and sophisticated from the outside, certainly the kind of place you could buy a decent doughnut from. ;)
If you’ve got pictures you’d like to share, we’d love to hear from you.
The Black Bunny has an article up from Covington News – the local paper of Covington, Georgia – that looks to be transcribed from the paper itself (coming up empty-handed searching CovNews.com at the moment. Hopefully we’ll have a more official link soon, but the casting director’s name matches up with info we had so we’re fairly certain this is legit).
UPDATE: Here’s a link to a follow-up article on CovNews.com.
An open casting call for extras for the new television series “Vampire Diaries” will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Holiday Inn Express, located at 9159 Access Road N.W. in Covington.
“We are looking for all types of people, all age ranges, to work as paid extras in the series,” which will begin filming in Covington on July 21, Extras Casting Director Marty Keener Cherrix said.
And yes, that’s this Sunday, July 19th.