The flashbacks are coming, the flashbacks are coming! Entertainment Weekly has an exclusive new still from the second episode of The Originals, titled House Of The Rising Son (EP102).
This time we’re going back to the 1800s, and from the looks of things Klaus wasn’t any mellower back then. The accompanying article also has some hints about the episode. Is it October yet?!
The episode, titled “House of the Rising Son,” finds Rebekah (Claire Holt) arriving in New Orleans at the insistence of good brother Elijah (Daniel Gillies) and worrying that bad brother Klaus is up to no good. Klaus, of course, is scheming against his former-protégé-turned-rival Marcel for control of the French Quarter in the present day, and Marcel has his own dangerous plan afoot.
Entertainment Weekly has a fun photo gallery highlighting six of the new characters we’ll be seeing in Vampire Diaries Season 5 – well, not all of them are entirely new, because we’ll be seeing a lot more of this guy:
The face is familiar, but it’s a totally new role for Wesley, who’s now also playing the 2,000 year old immortal who quickly returns to Mystic Falls. ”The fun of Silas is much like season 1 Damon [Ian Somerhalder] in that he’s up to something and no one can quite figure out what it is,” exec producer Julie Plec says. ”Specifically for Damon, it’s driving him crazy because it’s like the tables have turned: If you remember in season 1, Stefan was always saying to Damon, ‘What are you up to?’ and Damon’s like, ‘That’s for me to know and you to….’ Silas plays the same little tricks on Damon, so it’s up to Damon to get to the bottom of what Silas wants, what he’s doing to get it, how it’s gonna impact all of them, and ultimately how they can put a stop to it.”
The post also features tidbits about Olga Fonda as Nadia, Kendrick Sampson as Jesse, Rick Cosnett as Dr. Wes Maxfield, Janina Gavankar as Tessa, and Shaun Sipos as Aaron.
“Kieran is a tortured Priest with a dark past,” executive producer Julie Plec says. ”Once a powerful and pragmatic diplomat between the humans and the various supernatural factions in New Orleans, he returns home looking for answers about a personal tragedy but finds a very different landscape than when he left.”
EW also reveals that Sebastian Roche will reprise his Vampire Diaries role of Mikael for at least one episode of The Originals.
Lots of news coming out of Comic-Con 2013 about the upcoming season 5 of The Vampire Diaries and the series premiere of The Originals – it’s the perfect antidote to the hiatus blues. In case you missed it, yesterday we posted new sizzle reels from The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. Today we have all kinds of goodies for you, and we’ll be adding to this post as more information becomes available.
All posts may contain hints, teases and spoilers, click at your own risk.
The Vampire Diaries
- Comic-Con 2013: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Live-Blog [HitFix]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES at Comic-Con: Live-Blog [Give Me My Remote]
- Comic-Con 2013: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ panel returns and fans scream [Zap2it]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ At Comic-Con: Silas, ‘Delena’ & More Season 5 Scoop [Hollywood Life]
- Comic-Con: ‘Vampire Diaries’ Cast, Producers Tease Season 5 [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Comic-Con: The Vampire Diaries Heads to College! [TV Guide]
- Vampire Diaries @ Comic-Con: Power-Hungry ‘Stefan,’ Happy (?) Delena, a Bigger Bad and More [TVLine]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ stars answer your questions at Comic-Con — VIDEO [Entertainment Weekly]
- Comic-Con: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Readies For Season 5, 100th Episode & The College Years (Video) [Deadline]
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ at Comic-Con: The cast on Elena and Damon, the big 100th episode, and college plans [Entertainment Weekly]
- The Vampire Diaries at Comic-Con: The Stars and Executive Producer Tease Season 5 [Screenfad]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES at Comic-Con: Check Out Photos From the Panel and Signing [Give Me My Remote]
- ‘The Originals’ panel takes a bite out of Comic-Con 2013 [Zap2it]
- Comic-Con: ‘The Originals’ Boss Reveals Fall Premiere Details and Series Hopes [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Is The Originals ’10 Times Sexier’ Than Vampire Diaries? Plus: Co-Stars’ ‘Awkward’ Hand-holding! (VIDEO) [TVLine]
- Is There Hope for Klaroline on The Originals? [TV Guide]
- Joseph Morgan Teases The Originals: What Kind of Father Will Klaus Be? (Video) [TV Fanatic]
There have been a lot of questions about how the fall premiere of The Originals will work, since we’ve already had a backdoor pilot. Fortunately, Zap2it has some answers for us, as well as some hints about a new character we’ll be seeing in the fall.
Chronologically, the new “Originals” premiere will follow the backdoor pilot. That episode — and everything that happened in it — will still exist in the show’s universe. The purpose of the new premiere is instead to move the story forward and to introduce the characters and concepts to new viewers who may not have watched “The Vampire Diaries” in the past.
Meanwhile, in Mystic Falls, Graduation (EP423) has picked up some nods over at Entertainment Weekly‘s 2013 Season Finale Awards. The Vampire Diaries comes away with wins in the following categories: Best Non-Romantic Cliff-Hanger, Best Fight (Verbal or Physical), Most Disturbing Image and Most Rewound Moment.
Want to know which scenes got the nods? FIND OUT AT ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY.
A couple more post-mortems for you, this time from Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide. Julie Plec answers questions about the season four finale and what might be up next for season five. Lots of Katherine-related Q&A in these, enjoy!
Spoiler alert for Graduation (EP423).
I think we’ll be seeing a bit more of Katherine. As always, we have to be careful with overworking the hardest-working woman in show business, Nina Dobrev. There’s so much fun to be had with seeing this nasty, manipulative, fearless, undefeatable Katherine suddenly finding herself vulnerable, killable. It may be time to pay some of the price for all the crappy things she’s done to other people over the last 500 years.
Can you imagine a time Elena and Katherine could ever find common ground?
Plec: You know I actually think that if they ever sat down and had a bottle of wine and a bag of chips they’d probably realize they have a lot more in common than they think. But they have a lot of hate and bitterness and altogether bad blood there so it might take a couple of bags of chips and a case of wine.
On The Originals front, the upcoming series made ET‘s list of 10 Most Promising New Fall TV Shows! The nod also included special praise for Charles Michael Davis as Marcel:
Unlike all the other entries this year, we’ve already seen an episode of The Originals since The CW tested it out with a backdoor pilot episode of TVD. Not only did the familiar faces dazzle in this new setting, but Charles Michael Davis is a star-in-the-making and a ferocious foe for Klaus to tangle with.
Entertainment Weekly has a new webclip from Thursday’s season four finale, Graduation (EP423). Beware of spoilers if you haven’t seen The Walking Dead (EP422).
Entertainment Weekly caught up with Candice Accola to chat about tonight’s episode of The Vampire Diaries, She’s Come Undone (EP421), Caroline’s relationships with Elena, Stefan, and Tyler, The Originals‘ big Klaus twist, and graduation.
On Caroline and Elena’s friendship: Candice says that if/when Elena decides to turn her humanity back on, Caroline will have to try and reconnect with her. “Sometimes when someone has gone through a traumatic occurrence in their lives they’re just not the same person,” says Accola. “I assume that if Elena did turn her humanity back on, she’d still have to get her sea legs back. She’d still have to discover who she is and I think that would be hard for Caroline.”
We’ve all seen the Graduation (EP423 – Season Finale) stills, so how about some intel? Julie Plec talked to Entertainment Weekly about the season finale as well as the penultimate episode, The Walking Dead (EP422). On the graduation event itself:
“It’s difficult to throw an event in Mystic Falls without it going catastrophically awry, but one of the things that was really important to us is that we do give this event itself its due . . . We made sure that in spite of everything that’s going on in the midst of it, we still get those great friendship moments and nostalgia moments that I, as a fan of TV over the decades, loved so much on high school shows as you reached that milestone.”
She also talks about the dropping of the veil, someone taking the cure, Elena’s and Caroline’s feelings about their potential relationships, and more.
The news and interviews just keep on coming! Here’s the latest on tonight’s episode (and backdoor pilot) The Originals (EP420).
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘TVD’ star Daniel Gillies talks Katherine, Showtime acquiring his directorial debut, and his next film
- Give Me My Remote: THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Julie Plec Teases THE ORIGINALS Backdoor Spinoff, Potential Crossovers, and More
- The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Vampire Diaries’: Claire Holt on Rebekah’s ‘Originals’ Dilemma and a Finale ‘Shocker’
- TV Fanatic: Joseph Morgan Talks The Originals, Klaus vs. Marcel, Potential for Klaroline and More!
- TVLine: Vampire Diaries’ Claire Holt Previews The Originals’ Dark Debut and a Finale Surprise
- The Wall Street Journal Blog: ‘Vampire Diaries’ Star Joseph Morgan on the Spinoff ‘The Originals’