The August 12th issue of Entertainment Weekly (The Help on the cover) includes The Vampire Diaries in its Behind the Scenes: Back to Work! feature, highlighting the casts and crews who have resumed filming for the 2011-2012 season. Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are included, along with Vampire Diaries crew members Colin Duran, Joe Connolly, and Trevor Stott. Click the image to see a larger scan in the Gallery. The issue is available on newsstands now.
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- Vampire Diaries Season 3 filming has officially started! Matt Davis tweeted the above picture on July 12th: “About to shoot the first shot/scene of TVD S3 with the lovely @ninadobrev and our awesome crew!” Ian Somerhalder tweeted a brief video of the Vampire Diaries Season 3 premiere call sheet. But most importantly, via Zach Roerig: “First wardrobe fitting down and it wasn’t a blue mystic grill shirt!”
- Do you follow the Vampire Diaries producers/writers on Twitter? For teases from the Writers’ Room: @kevwilliamson, @julieplec, @young_brian, @carolinedries, @alseptien, @turimeyer, @ronnenshine, @MichaelNarducci, @EPBleiweiss, @nickwauters.
- Entertainment Weekly’s Spoiler Room has this to say about what to expect from Stefan Salvatore as Season 3 kicks off: “Imagine the meanest, drunkest Stefan you’ve ever seen.” Us: *FISTPUMP!*
- We did this on Twitter, but might as well do it here, too: Happy, happy birthday to Steven R. McQueen (July 13th) and Sara Canning (July 14th)!
- Katherine and Klaus make TV Line’s list of Lovably Despicable Characters: “…[T]hese vamps are lovably deviant.”
- Katerina Graham Source has new outtakes from Kat’s OP photo campagn.
- WetPaint has an amusing piece suggesting gifts for Elena Gilbert’s 18th birthday. (Our favorite? A weapons permit.)
- Seventeen has a peek at Candice Accola’s workout playlist, which includes Metric and The Pixes.
- Kayla Ewell tweeted a link to the trailer for Keeping Up With the Randalls, her upcoming Hallmark TV movie.
- In a Flecking Records poll, Ian Somerhalder is determined to be the third-nicest person on Twitter.
- TV.com puts the Salvatore brothers on their list of Favorite TV Siblings.
- ClevverTV “breaks down Season 3,” but really they just talk about the photo Matt Davis tweeted.
- Ian Somerhalder wishes Sophia Bush a happy birthday. (Ian at 1:28.)
- Former TVD writer John Shiban pops up in The Wrap’s “Vince Gilligan Has ‘Breaking Bad’ — Where Are Other ‘X-Files’ Writers Now?”
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy. (It’s a brief one this week!)
- First off: Rejoice, Vampire Diaries fans! Most of the cast is now back in Atlanta and starting work on Vampire Diaries Season 3, which premieres Thursday, Sept. 15th on the CW. And just a reminder that we rarely post casting calls to the main blog (unless you’re Klaus, because it’s Klaus). Head over to the Spoiler Zone to speculate to your heart’s content.
- UPDATE: More info on Nina’s involvement with Project Pink, with quotes. According to Teen Vogue editor Eva Chen Bannister (thanks to her for the photo above), Nina Dobrev is the face of Puma’s Project Pink campaign. One hundred percent of sales from Puma’s Project Pink line are donated to charities dedicated to fighting breast cancer. In addition to nominating worthy charities via their website, you can help raise funds through Twitter, too: Tweet #projectpink between July 6th through October 31st and PUMA will donate $1 per day per user (up to $25,000) to the winning charity announced in October.
- Michael Trevino lands on Next Movie’s 13 Rising Young Latino Stars to Watch list.
- Kayla Ewell will guest star as a Miami bartender on A&E’s The Glades.
- Lauren Cohan talks to TV Guide Magazine’s William Keck about her upcoming role on AMC’s The Walking Dead.
- CliqueClack TV wants to know your favorite Vampire Diaries vampire. (Poll.)
- MTV’s Hollywood Crush puts the Vampire Diaries characters into the Sorting Hat. Which Hogwarts house would Elena, Stefan, Damon, Jeremy, and Bonnie be in?
Zap2It‘s Carina MacKenzie has officially confirmed that Lisa Tucker, whom some may recognize from American Idol Season 5, has landed the role of Greta, daughter of Dr. Martin and sister of Luka. If you’re caught up on the show through Crying Wolf, you should remember why Greta is so significant and her ties to Klaus.
Greta will appear in at least two episodes, but we’re hearing that she may actually appear in four — including the big finale.
And let’s talk about a series of interesting tweets from Julie Plec, Michael Trevino, and Ian Somerhalder tonight, shall we?
Shooting a full moon on an actual full moon. Weird.
Interesting… T @julieplec: Shooting a full moon on an actual full moon. Weird.
In the woods, late night, moon almost full and running around with a werewolf-not smart…
Hmmmmm. What do you guys make of that…?
Michael Trevino and Ian Somerhalder pumped everyone up yesterday with episode titles, shy pageant queens, and dancing McQueens (happy birthday, Steven! And happy birthday tomorrow, Sara Canning!), and Nina Dobrev tweeted at 5am this morning that she was heading to set for the official first day of Vampire Diaries Season 2. Game on!
No. Seriously. Nina really means it. (That pic’s from director of photography Paul M. Sommers.)
He hasn’t posted yet (we hope he will!), but director/producer J. Miller Tobin – who seems to be taking over Marcos Siega’s position on the TVD Team – is now on Twitter! You can find him at @millertobin. You’ll remember him from his directing duties on last season’s episodes The Turning Point and Isobel (which are currently ranked at #4 and #3, respectively, in the favorite Season 1 episodes poll).
And, finally, Michael Trevino shares the below snapshot via Twitter and says:
I’m thinkin this is what’s going on the back of our cast chairs this season. Photo is bad quality, but look closely.
If that doesn’t get you excited, we’re not sure what will. Check out those clawmarks for “2″! (Thanks to Michael for letting us share!)
Thanks to @sweet_radiation for the heads up that Paul Wesley will be a guest on Live with Regis & Kelly tomorrow morning, Thursday, April 22nd. He’s not listed on their website but viewers have confirmed it was mentioned on this morning’s show. Check your local listings and set your DVR! UPDATE: Paul Welsey now on the schedule!
In case you missed last night’s Melinda Clarke interview on The VRO, the entire show is now up on Blog Talk Radio.
And, finally, today’s a big day in Atlanta – the last day of shooting for Vampire Diaries season one. A big congrats to cast and crew and we hope they enjoy their well-deserved break. We look forward to seeing their handiwork over the next few weeks!
IESB has a thorough compilation of Paul Wesley quotes from the Television Critics Association press tour last week. Most of this you’ve already seen elsewhere, but there are some new nuggets buried in there.
Michael Trevino posted a few pics from the set on Tuesday afternoon, including what we shall call “Portrait with Shoulder Pads” – a candid of himself with Zach Roerig and Paul Wesley, all decked in football practice gear. They look hot. No, really – we hope there was an arsenal of bottled water and spray misters. (And yes, they’re the Mystic Falls Timberwolves. We know Kevin Williamson confirmed the mascot would be Wildcats – as some of you reminded us on Twitter – but circumstances are circumstances, and hey, we think Timberwolves is [spoiler]rather clever[/spoiler]. You never know, maybe they’ll appear as a rival team at some point.)
Hollywood Crush has an article and video interview (only viewable in the USA) with Kevin Williamson in which he reassures readers that Vampire Diaries “isn’t Twilight at all”, and more of a “modern-day sexy Dark Shadows“. Seems like a good thing to us.
A short ‘TV to Talk About’ promo clip has turned up on YouTube with Paul Wesley, Candice Accola, Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev and Katerina Graham all making an appearance.
Vampire Diaries BG passed along a photo of Vampire Diaries elevator door advertising in Los Angeles that appeared in a Bulgarian newspaper. We also hear TVD has a definite presence in NYC’s Times Square right now (if you have pics, we’d love to see them!), as well as throughout the city.
Finally, our caption contest ends tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. Western U.S. time. There are Vampire Diaries bags, posters and buttons up for grabs (pictured below), so head on over to the contest post, take a look at the pic and wow us with your witty one-liners before the entry deadline.
Now that filming for the Vampire Diaries is underway in Covington, Georgia, a lot of fans are heading down there to watch it as it happens. By all accounts we’ve seen so far the cast and crew are a really laid back, friendly and genuinely nice to the fans who turn up. Ella (who provided us with the earlier photo of the Mystic Grill) headed over there recently to meet the cast and get some behind-the-scenes pictures of filming taking place, and has been kind enough to share them with us. We’re only highlighting a few here (click on the thumbnails for the larger images), but Ella has a whole bunch more that you can see in her Photobucket account.
Paul Wesley seems to be somewhat elusive in these pictures at the moment (he’s a mysterious blur above). Looks like he’s taking Stefan’s sneaking abilities very seriously. ;) If you’d like to use Ella’s pictures, please don’t just take them – you should contact her for permission.
Warner Brothers representatives spoke at Monday’s city council meeting to let the city know its plans and receive tentative permission to film on the square, and on Floyd and Washington streets among other downtown locales.
And for those of you interested in random Vampire Diaries trivia, Covington happens to be the name of the town in Louisiana where Ian Somerhalder (Damon) was born.
Update: CovNews.com have a follow-up article which goes into a little more detail about what’s going on, along with all kinds of interesting location tidbits. It also clarifies that the Vampire Diaries is currently set for 12 episodes with room to extend it to more should the show prove successful. We’ll keep our fingers crossed.
Update: And it seems news of Vampire Diaries’ arrival has hit the Atlanta Journal Constitution as well.
This is rad- Mars Lewis of StepN2 Motion Graphics & Visual FX has posted what’s called an “eyeliner” – the network/title scroll that often fades in and out along the bottom of your screen during TV programs.
One of the more anticipated shows of the upcoming fall lineup is “The Vampire Diaries” – a Twilight like TV series on the CW. Here is my latest design for the promotional eyeliner for the series.
Looks like this is specific to CW27-Norfolk but still rather nifty.
In other news, thanks to director Marcos Siega we now know that the official start of filming for The Vampire Diaries in Atlanta is Tuesday, July 21st.