Tonight’s much-anticipated return of The Vampire Diaries marks Paul Wesley‘s directorial debut with Resident Evil (EP518). Congratulations, Paul! He’s been making the rounds with the press in honor of the occasion, so we’ve got a whole lot of reading for you to help pass the time until the episode. If we find more interviews, we’ll add them on, so check back later! And make sure you tune in to the CW tonight at 8/7c for the episode!
- Paul Wesley Sinks His Fangs Into Directing ‘The Vampire Diaries’ [Wall Street Journal]
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’: Director Paul Wesley explains why he nixed a shirtless moment in this week’s episode [Entertainment Weekly]
- The Vampire Diaries’ Paul Wesley: Directorial Debut Addresses the Future of Stefan and Elena [TV Guide]
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’: Paul Wesley makes his directorial debut with ‘nostalgic’ episode filled with easter eggs [Zap2it]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’: Paul Wesley on ‘Daunting’ Directorial Debut and Unexpected Hiccups [The Hollywood Reporter]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Paul Wesley on His Directorial Debut [Give Me My Remote]
Couldn’t make it to PaleyFest? We’ve got you covered with plenty of links to pictures and coverage from the weekend’s events. Enjoy! (And more coverage may be trickling in this week, so check back later for additions!)
- PaleyFest 2014: THE ORIGINALS and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES Panel Photos [Give Me My Remote]
The Vampire Diaries
- 5 Mini Vampire Diaries Teases [TV Guide]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Stars and EPs Reveal Season 5 Secrets [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Vampire Diaries @ PaleyFest: ‘Hope For Stelena,’ Katherine’s Possible Return and More Scoop [TVLine]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Caroline Dries on the ‘Linchpin’ in the Mythology, Bonnie’s Crisis, the Triangle, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Ian Somerhalder on What’s Next For Damon and Elena [Give Me My Remote]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Nina Dobrev on Losing Katherine, Elena’s Troubles, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- On the Red Carpet’s video interviews: Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Paul Wesley on directing
- The Originals @ PaleyFest: Claire Holt Explains Her Exit, Plus Scoop on Elijah’s ‘Unraveling’ [TVLine]
- The Originals: Claire Holt Sets Record Straight on Why She Left [TV Guide]
- THE ORIGINALS: Daniel Gillies on Elijah/Hayley, Klaus’ Betrayal, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- THE ORIGINALS: Julie Plec on the Possibility of Rebekah Returning via Flashbacks — or to THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (Video Below) [Give Me My Remote]
- On the Red Carpet’s video interviews: Joseph Morgan, Leah Pipes, Danielle Campbell, Phoebe Tonkin, Daniel Gillies, Charles Michael Davis
Wondering what’s in store for season five of The Vampire Diaries given all the changes with Elena and company headed to college and the Originals headed to their own show? Executive producer Caroline Dries sat down with Give Me My Remote for a wide-ranging interview that touched on what the season has in store for virtually all the characters, including how Bonnie deals with her death and what Damon and Elena look like as a couple.
Given all of the changes in season 5 — losing several dynamic characters, graduation, college– what do you feel has been the biggest challenge of the new season?
Caroline Dries: It’s interesting, a lot of people have asked that [about losing the Original family], but we ended on such a strong cliffhanger with Silas, a huge villain; [and] Katherine is a human, [which is] a huge dynamic character shift for the show. So we’ve had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to villains. It’s not like there’s a huge void in the show, even though the Original vampires added a cool texture to it. The finale just launched us into this whole thing.
I remember at the end of season 1, when we were breaking season 2, we had ended season 1 with like 900,000 cliffhangers, and we sat in the writers room like, “Does anyone have any ideas of how to pick up the pieces?” We had enough on our plate [for season 5]. We knew we wanted Elena to go to college. It’s a new world. We can let THE ORIGINALS go to New Orleans.
Thanks to Give Me My Remote, we have another goodie from San Diego Comic-Con to get us through this last long stretch of summer hiatus. Julie Plec spoke with reporters about The Originals, flashbacks, Shakespeare, potential crossovers, and more:
At a San Diego Comic-Con roundtable with reporters, Charles Michael Davis teased a bit about the backstory of his character Marcel, as well as his relationships with other characters on the show and more. And thanks to Give Me My Remote, we can see it too:
At Comic-Con, Phoebe Tonkin spoke with reporters about her character Hayley moving from The Vampire Diaries to The Originals as well as what Hayley’s relationship (or lack thereof) with Klaus will be like going forward. Here’s a taste via Give Me My Remote:
“I think Klaus resents Hayley a little bit,” Tonkin told reporters at Comic-Con. “They didn’t plan on this going any further than a one night stand, and now they’re facing the consequence of that.”
Between San Diego Comic-Con, TCA, and general summer distractions, some things inevitably fall through the cracks, so let’s catch up on some news and interviews we’ve missed in the past week or two. And never fear: Things will be gearing back up soon, as we’re only about seven weeks away from the joint premiere night for The Vampire Diaries and The Originals on the CW on October 3rd at 8/7c and 9/8c, respectively. (The Originals will then move to its normal Tuesday timeslot.)
- Julie Plec on Syncing Up THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and THE ORIGINALS, and Retelling THE ORIGINALS’ Backdoor Pilot [Give Me My Remote]
- Moving On Out! Claire Holt Reflects on Transitioning From THE VAMPIRE DIARIES to THE ORIGINALS [The TV Addict]
- THE ORIGINALS: Joseph Morgan on the ‘Incredibly Rewarding Opportunity’ to Further Explore Klaus [Give Me My Remote]
- The Originals Scoop: All My Children Star Cast as Wild and Sexy Witch Leader [E!Online]
- The Showrunner Chronicles: Julie Plec Talks THE ORIGINALS and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES [The TV Addict]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’: Kat Graham on Bonnie’s Costly Sacrifice and Season 5 Hints (Video) [The Hollywood Reporter]
The news and interviews just keep on coming! Here’s the latest on tonight’s episode (and backdoor pilot) The Originals (EP420).
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘TVD’ star Daniel Gillies talks Katherine, Showtime acquiring his directorial debut, and his next film
- Give Me My Remote: THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Julie Plec Teases THE ORIGINALS Backdoor Spinoff, Potential Crossovers, and More
- The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Vampire Diaries’: Claire Holt on Rebekah’s ‘Originals’ Dilemma and a Finale ‘Shocker’
- TV Fanatic: Joseph Morgan Talks The Originals, Klaus vs. Marcel, Potential for Klaroline and More!
- TVLine: Vampire Diaries’ Claire Holt Previews The Originals’ Dark Debut and a Finale Surprise
- The Wall Street Journal Blog: ‘Vampire Diaries’ Star Joseph Morgan on the Spinoff ‘The Originals’
Julie Plec recently appeared at WonderCon and did a few interviews about prom, graduation, the end of the season, and more. At Give Me My Remote, she discusses what prom will be like for Caroline:
“Caroline has waited for this night her whole life — probably only second to her wedding — as she envisioned her perfect senior prom, and very quickly at the top of the episode, she’s miserable. Tyler’s gone, there’s a mishap with her dress, there are things that happen that frustrate her, she’s on the outs with her best friend, Bonnie’s acting weirdly. I think there’s a line somewhere in the episode where Caroline goes, “This prom sucks.” And she gets a nice moment when all is said and done; she gets to experience the perfect prom moment, but it’s short-lived and definitely will get people talking.”
She also talks about Bonnie’s arc, the potential Originals spinoff, the future of the triangle, and more.
And over at SheKnows, Julie talks about everything from Elena and Bonnie’s dark sides to the possibility of dead characters reappearing. She also answers an interesting question about the different types of supernatural creatures in the Vampire Diaries universe.
SK: So far we’ve seen vampires, werewolves, hybrids, witches and warlocks. Can we expect to see any other supernatural creatures in the future?
JP: You know, we keep trying to think of those and weirdly enough, we find ourselves stumped more often than not. There’s our favorite story of Season 1: we tried to make Matt Donovan’s mother a succubus and we shot it and we wrote three scripts about it. When we saw it for the first time we realized this isn’t right. This doesn’t feel like part of our show. It doesn’t feel like we’re in the right scientific world. I’m not saying we’ll not ever see other creatures, but definitely thus far, we are staying grounded in that one zone.
It’s the news we know many of you have been waiting for: According to The Hollywood Reporter, Claire Holt will indeed be playing Rebekah in a co-starring role on the potential Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals. She’ll join Joseph Morgan and Daniel Gillies in playing members of the Original family making the transition. The backdoor pilot will air April 25th.
UPDATE: Warner Bros. has confirmed this casting to Give Me My Remote.