The long summer hiatus is here, no new episodes until fall. To keep us all from going insane, the CW is airing a rerun tonight: Growing Pains (EP401) will be on at 8/7c.
Episode refresher course:
Miss a post this week?
- The Vampire Diaries & Cast Members Nominated For 2013 Teen Choice Awards
- TVD Rehash with Arielle Kebbel: Graduation (EP423 – Season 4 Finale)
- Episode Downloads for Graduation (EP423)
- Graduation (EP423) Post-Mortems from EW & TV Guide + A Promising Nod to The Originals
- Friday Night Bites, May 11-17: New Shows Galore!
- Season 4 Finale Post-Mortems: Julie Plec Teases Season 5 with E!Online & Zap2It
- Nina Dobrev on Elena, College and a Long Day of Shooting (VIDEO)
- Daniel Gillies on The Originals, Crossovers, Katherine and More via Collider
- Complete Songlist for Graduation (EP423 – Season 4 Finale)
- TV Fanatic Talks The Originals with Phoebe Tonkin & Danielle Campbell (VIDEO)
Happy Thanksgiving to all our American readers! Because of the holiday, the CW is airing a rerun tonight: Growing Pains (EP401) will be on at 8/7c. New episodes return next week!
Episode refresher course:
Miss a post this week?
- Charlie Bewley & Camille Guaty to Appear on The Vampire Diaries
- Vampire Diaries Cast Plays Shag, Marry, Stake at TV Guide (VIDEO)
- New Stills From We’ll Always Have Bourbon Street (EP408) via TV Overmind
- Episode Downloads for We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes (EP406)
- Extended Promo for My Brother’s Keeper (EP407 – TVD Returns 11/29!)
- Complete Songlist for We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes (EP406)
- Short Promo for My Brother’s Keeper (EP407 – TVD Returns 11/29!)
- Reaction Post & Poll: Vampire Diaries – We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes (EP406)
- EW & Zap2It Interviews with Candice Accola
- People’s Choice Awards 2013 Finals: Vote for The Vampire Diaries & Cast!
TV Guide sits down with Joseph Morgan to discuss what the arrival of big bad vampire hunter Connor (Todd Williams, introduced in last night’s episode) means for Klaus and whether the Original sibling showdown that happened between Klaus and Rebekah in the premiere will have long term repercussions.
“Season 4 will … see that bond tested more than it’s ever been,” Morgan told us on the Atlanta set of the CW series. “He goes a little further than he’s ever gone and [as usual] Klaus likes to ruin everything for himself and push people away.”
Watched last night’s episode? Then check out these spoilerific post-mortem interviews with Julie Plec, where she touches base on specific plot points (those of you who are little confused about a particular Damon and Elena moment will definitely want to read):
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘Vampire Diaries’ EP Julie Plec talks the meaning of blood-sharing, this week’s emotional final scene, and what’s next
- Zap2It: ‘Vampire Diaries’ ‘Memorial’ recap: Julie Plec talks Elena’s first ‘feed’ and that very special appearance
- Reaction post & poll: Growing Pains (EP401)
- Short Promo for Memorial (EP402)
- Extended Promo for Memorial (EP402)
- Complete Songlist for Growing Pains (EP401)
- Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Explosive Premiere Cliffhanger, Klaus’ New Role and More! at TVLine
- No Magic for Bonnie? Sibling Rivalry? Vampire Diaries Boss Answers Premiere Burning Questions at TV Guide
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ premiere recap: Plus, your burning Season 4 questions answered by Julie Plec at Zap2it
- The Vampire Diaries Scoop: Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley Tease What’s Next, Talk Politics! at E!Online
- Vampire Diaries: 10 Things We Are Dying to Love about Season 4 at TheTelevixen
The Insider caught up with Julie Plec for an excellent and lengthy discussion about tonight’s new episode, Memorial, and the events and fallout of last week’s Season 4 premiere, Growing Pains. In addition to touching on the big mystery set up in last week’s final moments and Elena’s journey as a newbie vampire, Plec also explains why tonight’s Memorial acts as a Season 3 finale:
Insider.com: Earlier you mentioned that you were slow playing these first few episodes. Does that allow these characters, whose lives whoosh by, to take stock of everything that’s happened?
Julie: For sure. I look at episode two in my own special way as the finale of last season’s journey. We never got a chance to mourn, we never got a chance to properly grieve Alaric. In a way, our characters are never given the opportunity to sit and think about the terrible things that happen to them. This is a way of saying to the audience, we are allowing ourselves this moment to grieve. We are putting this away and moving forward. In many ways, episode three is truly the launch of season three [four? – V.] in that we’re really beginning a new chapter. Episode one and two are almost like a nice bow wrapped on end of season three.
Previously on The Vampire Diaries, everything was going wrong for everyone all at once. Pretty much every character on the show had something go horribly wrong during this episode, and it’s safe to say that Growing Pains kicked off Season 4 with a bang. Need to brush up on the details before tuning in tomorrow night? We’ve got you covered with recaps galore!
Our show is back! And in true Vampire Diaries form, this was an episode packed to the brim — dealing with last season’s cliffhangers, introducing a baddie in Mystic Falls, and transitioning into this new era for Elena.
Well. That was quite some season premiere, huh? Need to see Growing Pains (EP401) again? You’re in luck: US fans can now download the episode from iTunes or Amazon, and UK fans can download from iTunes. And remember, US fans can also watch the episode for free right now at the CW site.
Download Growing Pains:
Canadian fans can watch the episode over at the CTV website.
In case you missed ‘em:
We’re all still reeling from last night’s premiere, Growing Pains (EP401), but that doesn’t mean the interviews, teasers, and general flood of coverage has stopped. So how about some morning reading to answer some questions – and, undoubtedly, create plenty of new questions? Fair warning: You should assume that these are all spoilery through last night’s episode, and there are some hints about the rest of the season as well. Enjoy, and hit the comments with your theories about what’s going on!
Courtesy of Chris Mollere, Vampire Diaries’ music supervisor – follow him on Twitter!
Songs listed in order of appearance.
THIS POST IS A STICKY. KEEP SCROLLING FOR NEW POSTS.
Long time, no see, Vampire Diaries fans! That was one long summer hiatus, but we survived it, and we’re ready for a brand new episode. So settle down (but don’t get too comfortable, as you’re bound to be on the edge of your seats before the end) and get ready to find out just what the Fates have in store for Elena and the rest of the gang.
Once you’ve seen it and shaken yourself back to reality, swing by here to rate the new episode of The Vampire Diaries. Because the forums are no more, all discussion about the episode is welcomed and encouraged in the comments of this post. Just remember, beware of spoilers if you haven’t seen the episode yet!
Quick guide to the poll options: Everyone likes to document how their height changes as they grow. We figure a ruler will be big enough for Elena to measure those sharp, new fangs she’ll be sporting! 5 rulers = LOVE, 1 ruler = MEH.