Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- Kat Graham is featured in Kevin Hammond‘s new music video for “Broken Down.” Check out the video above or on YouTube. Read a Q&A with Hammond on Huffington Post about the song and video. Purchase the song here: [iTunes US] [Amazon US].
- Happy Canada Day! Nina Dobrev makes AOL TV’s list of the Sexiest Canadians on TV.
- Backstage video with Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder at the MuchMusic Video Awards.
- According to TV Guide’s William Keck, Lauren Cohan has been cast as Maggie Greene in the second season of AMC’s The Walking Dead.
- Ian Somerhalder – along with Leonardo DiCaprio, Edward Norton, Scarlett Johansson, and more – joined the NRDC, Wild Aid, and the Humane Society of the U.S. in signing on to California’s Assembly Bill 376 “which would protect sharks from being killed just for their fins.” (Via National Resources Defense Council blog.)
- The July 1st issue of Entertainment Weekly (True Blood cover) has a one-page article on Alloy Entertainment‘s influence on YA television via The Nine Lives of Chloe King, Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl, The Lying Game, The Secret Circle, and The Vampire Diaries.
- Malese Jow talks about her role on Nickelodeon’s The Troop, with mentions of her Vampire Diaries return (though she’s really not saying much): [Twist Magazine] [StarryMag]. Check out clips of Malese on The Troop via TulsaWorld and Malese’s official Facebook.
- Sara Canning officially wrapped filming on Corvus, via her Twitter. Check out a behind-the-scenes video/screen captures on Sara Canning Source.
- Nina Dobrev wrapped filming on June 27th for The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- Director Luke Massey has posted more 500 Miles North behind-the-scenes photos featuring Joseph Morgan on his blog. Joseph officially wrapped filming on June 27th and had this to say about The Beard: “My bearded side is dormant once more. Only breaking the curse will bring the beard back. I would… But I’m off to the pub instead ;)” R.I.P. JoeMo Beard.
- MTV’s Hollywood Crush thinks Steven R. McQueen would make a great Jared in the film adaptation of Stephenie Meyer’s The Host.
- Official press release and stills for Immoral Prodigy, an upcoming horror film directed by Jeremiah Sayys and starring Malese Jow, via Dread Central.
- The Alliance for Global Conservation’s Generation (EX)tinction website has opened, featuring a video message from Ian Somerhalder. The initiative is dedicated to raising awareness and rallying to protect the world’s endangered species.
- Kat Graham attended the 24th Annual Rhythm & Soul Music Awards on June 24th in Beverly Hills. See photos at Style Bistro.
- The Vampire Diaries receives a mention in The Hollywood Reporter’s article on the popularity of Young Adult/children’s fiction in media.
- See a few familiar faces on Teen Wolf this week? Susan Walters and Rob Pralgo – Carol Lockwood and the late Richard Lockwood – were in the June 27th episode, “The Tell.” Incidentally, The Faster Times has a recap of the episode, drawing many comparisons with The Vampire Diaries.
- Samaritan Mag interviews Ian Somerhalder about the founding and mission of the Ian Somerhalder Foundation.
- Watch video of Kat Graham performing at San Francisco Pride this past weekend.
- Kayla Ewell tweets the premiere date for her Hallmark movie, Keeping Up with the Randalls: July 16th at 9pm on the Hallmark Channel.
- Steven R. McQueen attended the Luc Robitaille Celebrity Poker Tournament on June 26th. See photos at Steven R. McQueen Online.
- Photographer Giuliano Bekor (who shot Kayla Ewell last week) tweeted about shooting Nina Dobrev on June 28th, pictures coming soon.
- Photos of Kat Graham at the premiere of Breaking Bad Season 4, via Katerina Graham Source. KG Source also has pics of Kat at the Gifting Services Showroom in West Hollywood on June 29th, courtesy of I’m Not Obsessed.
- Nina Dobrev is featured on Seventeen’s Looks of the Week.
- Sara Canning is part of the We Canada Earth Summit 2012, dedicated to encouraging Canadian leadership in global sustainability. More info at Sara Canning Source.
It’s our personal favorite readers’ awards of the year! Television Without Pity‘s annual Tubey Awards – honoring “the best, worst, and just plain insane” from the 2010-2011 TV season – has officially begun! Round 1 of the semi-finals kicks off with quite a few pleasant surprises – Daniel Gillies/Elijah received a lot of love in the fan nominations and he’s in several categories, including Favorite Actor (!) – and some well-deserved love for the usual suspects. Now, this is the semi-finals, so that means you’re voting to get your faves into the top ten of each category. You have until July 5th to vote in this round before the second round posts. HEAD OVER TO TELEVISION WITHOUT PITY AND GET VOTING!
Vampire Diaries is nominated in the following categories: Best Returning Show, Best Teen Show, and Best Drama.
Cast, guest stars, characters, and other TVD things are nominated in the following categories:
- Favorite Actor and Least Favorite Actor: Daniel Gillies, Ian Somerhalder, Paul Wesley.
- Favorite Actress: Nina Dobrev
- Supporting Actor/Actress Most Deserving a Starring Role: Candice Accola, Daniel Gillies, Matt Davis.
- Best Performance by an Inanimate Object: Damon Salvatore’s bathroom, Elijah’s coins, the moonstone, white oak dagger.
- Best Guest Star: Daniel Gillies, Lauren Cohan, Mia Kirshner.
- Best HoYay! Couple: Alaric and Damon, Damon and Elijah, Jeremy and Tyler, Stefan and Damon, Stefan and Klaus.
- Best Romantic Relationship: Bonnie and Jeremy, Elena and Stefan.
- Worst Romantic Relationship: Bonnie and Jeremy, Elena and Stefan, Matt and Caroline.
- Best Almost-Romantic-But-Not-Quite Relationship: Caroline and Tyler, Damon and Elena.
- Best Non-Romantic Friendship: Alaric and Damon, Stefan and Caroline, Caroline, Elena, and Bonnie.
- Best Family Relationship: The Gilberts, The Salvatores.
- Most Egregious Product Placement: Bing, Ford, MiFi.
- Most Likable Geek: Slater.
- Best Pop Culture Reference: Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, Jr., and Lon Chaney, Sr.
New feature! Friday Night Bites will be a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy. (Okay, technically it’s not Friday night where we’re at, but it is somewhere, right now! So there!)
- Tyler Shields posted a new photoshoot with Michael Trevino in his blog. Get the story behind the impromptu session at Zap2It and check out the photos at Shields’ official site.
- Kat Graham‘s not too worried about Bonnie dying in Season 3. Read more at the TV Addict.
- Stefan & Damon Salvatore and Katherine Pierce make AOL TV’s list of TV’s Sexiest Vampires.
- eTalk MMVA red carpet video interview with Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev.
- Ian Somerhalder‘s “gangsta Road to Avonlea” look at the MuchMusic Video Awards brought a lot of commentary, rounded up by the National Post’s Shinan Govani.
- Vote for Nina Dobrev in Us Magazine’s MuchMusic Video Awards best dressed poll.
- In case you haven’t heard, Paul Wesley will play Anthony Reese, a federal agent, in the action-comedy film The Baytown Disco, which was shot in Lousiana. The film also stars Billy Bob Thornton and Eva Longoria. Details via Coming Soon.
- Ian Somerhalder is featured in Hip-Pop’s Hottest Boys of Summer 2011 countdown.
- Maddie of Candice Accola Web unearthed Leblon photobooth pics from Candice’s Westwood/Turn the Corner birthday celebration in May. Photos feature Candice Accola, Zach Roerig, Kayla Ewell, Kat Graham, Matt Davis, and others. See the photos on Candice Accola Web.
- Variety profiles the Ian Somerhalder Foundation. (Might need to register to read.)
- Elena Gilbert is featured in InStyle’s Vampire Girlfriends Gallery.
- In addition to representing Vampire Diaries at Comic Con International 2011, Kevin Williamson will also be representing his new show, The Secret Circle (based on an L.J. Smith series). Panel information available at TheSecretCircle.net. The Secret Circle, starring Britt Robertson and Thomas Dekker, premieres Thursday, Sept. 15th at 9 p.m., immediately following the Season 3 premiere of The Vampire Diaries.
- Honey 2, starring Kat Graham, opened June 10th in the U.K. and here are some reviews: The Guardian, The Telegraph, Total Film, Front Row Reviews, The Film Review, and Screenjabber. The film will be released direct-to-DVD in the U.S., date to be determined. You can watch a behind-the-scenes video from the film shoot over at Katerina Graham Source.
- Malese Jow attended the Cars 2 premiere at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood on June 18th. Check out photos on Zimbio.
- Steven R. McQueen attended the Joseph Abboud Watch Collection Launch Party in West Hollywood on June 16th. Check out photos at Steven R. McQueen Online.
- More outtakes from Candice Accola‘s Show Me Your Mumu photoshoot have surfaced, via photographer Ryan Hebert’s blog. See them over at Candice Accola Web.
- Snaphot of Nina Dobrev and Kate Walsh playing around on the Perks of Being A Wallflower set, via Nina’s Twitter.
- Kayla Ewell posted a few behind-the-scenes photos from her shoot with photographer Giuliano Bukor: “Okay you guys, a sneak peek!” & “Here’s another photo from the shoot yesterday! Thanks to everyone for a great day!”
- Cute twitvid from Sunday night’s MuchMusic Video Awards red carpet via Ian Somerhalder.
- Joseph Morgan fans: If you’ve been wondering how much longer he’ll be sporting that epic 500 Miles North beard, you’ll be happy to know he has one more day of shooting on June 27th: “…then the beard comes off and the fangs come out.”
- Per his June 13th interview on the VRO, Daniel Gillies has been cast in Canadian pilot Saving Hope, where he’ll be playing a doctor opposite Smallville‘s Erica Durance. More info on the pilot at Zap2It.
- Malese Jow joins the cast for Season 2 of Nickelodeon’s The Troop!, premiering this Saturday, June 25th at 12:30 ET/PT. Malese plays “the new girl in town who’s going to stir things up.” Read all about it at Fanlala.
- Sara Canning is rumored to be the lead in Canadian director Spencer Estabrooks’ horror short, Blitzed. Read about it at the Calgary Herald.
- The Roommate, starring Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester, and co-starring Kat Graham and featuring a brief appearance by Nina Dobrev, is out on DVD and Blu-Ray. Purchase: Blu-Ray U.S.A. / DVD U.S.A. and Blu-Ray U.K. / DVD U.K.
- TV Fanatic interviewed Gina Torres about her new show, Suits, and asked if she’d be willing to return to Mystic Falls as Bree (if the show chose to bring her back from the dead). Read her hilarious response over at TV Fanatic.
- Issue #1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9, co-written by creator Joss Whedon and former Vampire Diaries/now Once Upon a Time writer Andrew Chambliss is available for pre-order via Things From Another World.
- Kayla Ewell mentioned on her Twitter that she is a camp counselor for Royal Family Kids, an organization dedicated to mentoring and supporting foster children whose lives have been affected by abuse. Visit the official Royal Family Kids website for more information.
- Nina Dobrev tweets about supporting Kate Middleton’s recycling of outfits.
- Fans of the late, lamented Lexi can follow @ArielleKebbel, confirmed to be the real deal by Julie Plec.
- And, finally, speaking of Julie Plec… Congrats, Julie!
UPDATE: David Anders and Sara Canning have also been officially confirmed for Dragon*Con in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend, September 3-5, 2011. Visit the official Dragon*Con website for more information on guests and tickets.
Have some Vampire Diaries love, German fans: RingCon, “The Fantasy Convention,” has confirmed David Anders and Sara Canning for their 2011 convention which will take place at the Maritim Hotel in Bonn, October 14-16. Check out the official RingCon website for more information on the hotel, ticket prices, and scheduling.
RingCon, taking place in the Maritim Hotel Bonn, unites The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Twilight, True Blood, Blood Ties and lots of other Fantasy fandoms in one event. There is something for everyone – whether you like Hobbits, Hogwarts-Students or Vampires!
MTV’s Hollywood Crush chats with Malese Jow – the much beloved Anna of Season 1 – to talk about the jaw-dropping twist in the Vampire Diaries Season 2 finale and what it may or may not mean for Season 3.
What was the Twitter response like from Team Anna following the finale?
It was just a huge wave—they attacked my Twitter. It was so hard to keep up with all the comments. But to be totally honest, the love for Anna never really stopped. I got comments every single day, which I think the fans had a huge impact on me coming back. So once I did, and once they saw me, it was just intense love and everyone is so excited for season three, along with me.
The VRO’s Vampire Diaries Month is still rolling and this week they have Vampire Diaries guest stars Trent Ford (Trevor) and David Anders (John Gilbert) on air to answer fan questions and talk Season 2. Have your own question for Mr. Ford and Mr. Anders? Head over to The VRO’s Facebook page and post them on their wall. Trent Ford is on this Thursday, May 19th at 9pm ET/6pm PT and David Anders is on Friday, May 20th at 9pm ET/6pm PT.
Missed an interview? Curious as to future guests? Complete schedule below!
- Tuesday, May 3rd: Joseph Morgan (Klaus)
- Tuesday, May 3rd: Paul M. Sommers (Director of Photography/Director)
- Wednesday, May 4th: Gino Anthony Pesi (Maddox)
- Thursday, May 5th: Bryton James (Luka)
- Friday, May 6th: Candice Accola (Caroline Forbes)
- Tuesday, May 10th: Matt Davis (Alaric Saltzman)
- Wednesday, May 11th: Sara Canning (Jenna Sommers)
- Friday, May 13th: Susan Walters (Carol Lockwood)
- Thursday, May 19th @ 9pm ET/6pm PT: Trent Ford (Trevor)
- Friday, May 20th @ 9pm ET/6pm PT: David Anders (John Gilbert)
- Monday, May 23rd @ 9pm ET/6pm PT: Marguerite MacIntyre (Sheriff Forbes)
- Monday, May 30th @ 9pm ET/6pm PT: The Hillywood Show
Now that the season finale has aired in the U.K., time to catch up on the big stuff! TV Line‘s Meg Masters caught up with Kayla Ewell – the dearly departed Vicki Donovan from Season 1 – to talk about the Vampire Diaries Season 2 finale’s very big surprise.
TVLINE | What was your reaction upon reading the finale script?
It was crazy to get that script and read it. I was just as shocked as all of the viewers were.
StarryMag caught up with Candice Accola to look back on Caroline’s progression in Season 2 – her transformation into a vampire, her developing relationships and friendships, and her thoughts on the recent tragic happenings in Mystic Falls. She also talks extensively about her involvement in Lyme Disease awareness, including her recent project with Show Me Your Mumu to raise money for Turn the Corner. (And, hey, today is Candice’s birthday, so why not make a donation towards fighting Lyme Disease on her Crowdrise page?)
Oh man, Caroline has grown leaps and bounds! What’s really fun about the idea of playing characters in high school is that everything regardless of vampires and werewolves is extreme anyway. You know your first love is your one and only and a fight with your parents is World War III and everything is at its utmost dramatic heightened level. Even in the sense of all of the insecurities that you carry along with you throughout high school and the fact that this character Caroline has throughout season one into season two just shed so many insecurities and having a different perspective on what’s important and who’s important and how you expect others to treat yourself.
Joseph Morgan was featured on MTV’s The Seven this afternoon and he talks about how he envisions Klaus (both in the present and in flashback) and how he thinks fans won’t be disappointed in the season’s final moments.
Happy season finale day! Following up yesterday’s PopWrap interview, we have a string of new interviews with Vampire Diaries guest star Daniel Gillies and he’s full of insight into the walking enigma that is Elijah. We’re sure a few more of these will be popping up throughout the day and we’ll add them to this post as they do, so check back. In the meantime, check out the interviews below to get Daniel’s take on the connection that is developing between Elijah and Elena, the relationship between Elijah and Klaus (past and future), and the challenges of playing such a stoic character.
Entertainment Weekly: ‘Vampire Diaries': Daniel Gillies talks Elijah’s betrayal (and softening)
“His agenda is thousands of years old, so the fact that he turned and destroyed the plans of Stefan and Bonnie doesn’t surprise me at all. Other cast members came up to me and said, “Oh, how do you feel about that? Oh, man, it’s terrible, right?” Like it’s a bad thing. I personally love characters when they f— up. It’s exciting to me. When someone like Elijah — who almost seems robotic at times in his execution, the economy of his motion — does something like that, you actually see his humanity. I love the mistakes that people make. In as sense, for me at least, it brings me closer to them.”
Julie has said that next season will be the season of the originals, so I want to know where you see Elijah going in season three.
The truth is, he’s virtually indestructible. I don’t know…where would you go if you were Elijah? I guess he might — I don’t know, he seems like someone who would disappear once his purpose was complete, like someone who would, like an assassin, fulfill his task and then depart, but the spin in the works here, is this little thing called Elena. She’s got more of a grasp on him that he understands. Or let me rephrase that, I think he knows precisely the kind of grasp she has on him. I’m sensing something unselfish surfacing in him, like a devotional kind of love.
Julie Plec has said that watching you play Elijah made her and Kevin decide to make the Originals unkillable. And obviously they’ve kept your characters around. How does it feel to play God in that way?
[Laughs.] That’s very sweet. But they’re not unkillable. There’s a way to get them; there’s always a way. It’s amazingly gratifying to play this role in this show. I feel very, very lucky is the answer to that question. I’ve never played anything that’s had such a following, and believe me, I know there are some pretty entitled young actors out there who think they’ve got it coming to them. But I’m 35 and I feel very blessed to be doing this.