There’s a lot to parse from last night’s Vampire Diaries Season 5 finale, but before we get to the handful of Julie Plec’s teases for Season 6, some excellent news: According to Julie, via Entertainment Weekly, Michael Malarkey has been promoted to series regular for Season 6. Enzo will be back. Huzzah!
And here’s a spoiler-filled post-mortem roundup courtesy of Julie, who clears up some foggy moments from last night’s finale and hints at what we can expect when The Vampire Diaries returns in Fall 2014:
- Entertainment Weekly: ‘Vampire Diaries’ season finale: EP Julie Plec answers burning questions
- TV Line: Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on the [spoiler]Bonnie/Damon[/spoiler] ‘Mystery,’ [spoiler]Alaric’s[/spoiler] Struggle, Stefan’s Journey and More Season 6 Scoop
- The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Vampire Diaries’ Boss on Season 6 ‘Reset’: ‘Everybody Gets to Start Over’ (Q&A)
- TV Guide: Vampire Diaries’ Julie Plec on [spoiler]Damon and Bonnie[/spoiler]‘s Fate, [spoiler]Magic-less[/spoiler] Mystic Falls and More
Fun news during tonight’s new episode of The Originals: The CW is bringing us a new recap/interview digital series for the show called Secrets from the Quarter and it is hosted by none other than Steven Krueger, aka Josh, First of His Name, Bestest of Best Friends, He Who Shall Never Die. Executive producers Michael Narducci and Julie Plec sit in on this round to discuss The Big Uneasy. WARNING: Wait until you’ve watched tonight’s episode before watching this, as it super-spoils everything that happens. (And a LOT happens.)
Producers Michael Narducci and Julie Plec preview next Tuesday’s ALL NEW (yes, finally) episode of The Originals, The Big Uneasy (EP118). What could possibly go wrong?
The CW has released the official synopsis for The Originals, A Closer Walk with Thee (EP120), airing Tuesday, April 29th at 8/7c. Highlight for spoilers:
A CELEBRATION OF LIFE — [spoiler]Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) confronts a surprising enemy as she and her unborn baby fall into peril during a celebratory wake to honor a fallen member of the community. In order to save Hayley, Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Elijah (Daniel Gillies) enlist the help of Genevieve (guest star Elyse Levesque) who struggles to maintain control over Davina (Danielle Campbell) and the other young witches. Cami (Leah Pipes) tells Marcel (Charles Michael Davis) that Francesca (guest star Peta Sargent) is determined to find a mysterious key that may unlock a family secret. Meanwhile, as Klaus suffers from nightmares of his father Mikael (guest star Sebastian Roche), he is forced to examine his troubled relationship with his own adoptive son, Marcel. [/spoiler]
The episode was directed by Sylvain White and written by Carina Adly MacKenzie and Julie Plec.
- Joseph Morgan brought worldwide productivity to a screeching halt Thursday afternoon when he tweeted this photo. I am including it mostly to torment Vee. [JosephMorgan]
- Phoebe Tonkin shows off some spring fashions for Who What Wear. [Who What Wear]
- Kat Graham has released the first episode of her docu-series Breaking the Record, which follows her journey releasing and promoting an album. [JustJared]
- The red band (that’s the NSFW version!) trailer for Nina Dobrev’s movie, Let’s Be Cops, is out. [ComingSoon]
- Ian Somerhalder smolders in the new Azzaro Pour Homme commercial. [Just Jared Jr.]
- Tiya Sircar, TVD’s Aimee Bradley, has been cast in the How I Met Your Mother spinoff, How I Met Your Dad. [EW]
- Nina Dobrev wants to remind you to Get Covered. [YouTube]
- Julie Plec has signed a new, three-year deal with Warner Brothers. [Deadline]
- Daniel Gillies, Joseph Morgan, Ian Somerhalder, & Paul Wesley are all up against other tv actors in Round 2 of E!’s Alpha Male Madness. [E! Online]
- Go Fug Yourself has a look at the fashions the casts of TVD & TO were wearing at PaleyFest. [GoFugYourself]
- The movie Daniel Gillies wrote & directed, Broken Kingdom, is now available on iTunes. [danieljgillies]
Miss a post this week?
- Official Stills for The Originals: The Big Uneasy (EP118)
- Episode Downloads for The Vampire Diaries: Rescue Me (EP517)
- Complete Songlist for The Vamire Diaries: Rescue Me (EP517)
- Extended Promo for The Vampire Diaries: Resident Evil (EP518)
- Short Promo for The Vampire Diaries: Resident Evil (EP518)
- More Vampire Diares: Rescue Me (EP517) Teases from Candice Accola via EW
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Vampire Diaries – Rescue Me (EP517)
- Official Synopsis for The Vampire Diaries: Resident Evil (EP518)
- Official Synopsis for The Originals: The Big Uneasy (EP118)
- TONIGHT – The Vampire Diaries: Rescue Me (EP517) Airs at 8/7c
- Candice Accola Talks Caroline, Enzo & Doppelgangers with Access Hollywood
- Previously On The Vampire Diaries: While You Were Sleeping (EP516)
- Vampire Diaries In Review: While You Were Sleeping (EP516) – Going Viral
- Second Webclip for The Vampire Diaries: Rescue Me (EP517)
- Exclusive Webclip for The Vampire Diaries: Rescue Me (EP517) at Entertainment Weekly
- Link Roundup: The Vampire Diaries & The Originals at PaleyFest
- The Originals: New Webclip & Sneak Peek, Exclusively from Buzzfeed (VIDEO)
- Episode Downloads for The Vampire Diaries: While You Were Sleeping (EP516)
- PaleyFest 2014: The Vampire Diaries & The Originals Panel Livestream Starts at 7:15pm PT
Couldn’t make it to PaleyFest? We’ve got you covered with plenty of links to pictures and coverage from the weekend’s events. Enjoy! (And more coverage may be trickling in this week, so check back later for additions!)
- PaleyFest 2014: THE ORIGINALS and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES Panel Photos [Give Me My Remote]
The Vampire Diaries
- 5 Mini Vampire Diaries Teases [TV Guide]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Stars and EPs Reveal Season 5 Secrets [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Vampire Diaries @ PaleyFest: ‘Hope For Stelena,’ Katherine’s Possible Return and More Scoop [TVLine]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Caroline Dries on the ‘Linchpin’ in the Mythology, Bonnie’s Crisis, the Triangle, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Ian Somerhalder on What’s Next For Damon and Elena [Give Me My Remote]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Nina Dobrev on Losing Katherine, Elena’s Troubles, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- On the Red Carpet’s video interviews: Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Paul Wesley on directing
- The Originals @ PaleyFest: Claire Holt Explains Her Exit, Plus Scoop on Elijah’s ‘Unraveling’ [TVLine]
- The Originals: Claire Holt Sets Record Straight on Why She Left [TV Guide]
- THE ORIGINALS: Daniel Gillies on Elijah/Hayley, Klaus’ Betrayal, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- THE ORIGINALS: Julie Plec on the Possibility of Rebekah Returning via Flashbacks — or to THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (Video Below) [Give Me My Remote]
- On the Red Carpet’s video interviews: Joseph Morgan, Leah Pipes, Danielle Campbell, Phoebe Tonkin, Daniel Gillies, Charles Michael Davis
Buckle up, Originals fans: this is one is intense. This webclip and sneak peek are a Buzzfeed exclusive. The accompanying article also gives some additional details about Claire Holt‘s departure and the possibility of Original sibling guest appearances…and not just from Rebekah.
The Originals will return to our screens Tuesday, April 15, at 8/7c.
Tonight’s the night! The casts and executive producers of The Vampire Diaries and The Originals will be representing their respective shows tonight at the 2014 PaleyFest Television Festival. Couldn’t it make it to Los Angeles for the big event? No worries, Paley has you covered: You will be able to watch a livestream direct from the Dolby Theatre, starting at 7:15pm Pacific time. First up will be The Originals panel, followed by The Vampire Diaries panel at 8:20pm.
Yahoo TV has a feature called Office Drop-By – “Our series in which Hollywood’s creative greats in entertainment show us around their workspaces” – and this time around they visit Julie Plec in her Los Angeles offices.
This a must-read article if you want insight not only into how Julie oversees three shows, but the particulars of bringing that show to your screen every week. Also there are photos featuring other familiar faces, and you can the skeleton of what I assume is a former employee kept in Michael Narducci’s office.
“Let’s just say today we’re starting to break a new episode, which means we are in the process of finishing the one that precedes it. We make a list, we look at a blank board, and we make [another] list, and we say, ‘OK. Where did we end the previous episode? What do we owe from all the episodes we’ve done?’ Make that list. Make sure there’re no threads dangling, characters that haven’t been seen for a while.
What do we owe? We make a list. We spend a day sort of thinking, Gosh, what do we want to see? It’s been a long time since Elijah smiled. How can we create a story that makes him happy or where he can have a little fun? Hey, it’s been a while since there’s been a full moon, and we have a werewolf storyline, so should this be a full moon episode? What’s the big shocking reveal? What’s the big romantic wow? If you were going to say what you wanted this episode to be and mean, what would you call it? What would you say?
We just keep talking like that in really broad strokes. What we want to see our characters doing. What we want to see happen supernaturally. Then, in those big talks, myself or [Michael] Narducci, whoever’s kind of in charge at the moment, will start to whittle all those big thoughts into more clear, precise, beats, story ideas, pitches and you just keep whittling until you land on a concept for the episode.”
In this producers’ preview for tomorrow night’s new episode, Moon Over Bourbon Street (EP117), Julie Plec and Michael Narducci discuss the new power structure, Elijah stepping up, Hayley’s role, and more. Intriguing!