The Insider caught up with Julie Plec for an excellent and lengthy discussion about tonight’s new episode, Memorial, and the events and fallout of last week’s Season 4 premiere, Growing Pains. In addition to touching on the big mystery set up in last week’s final moments and Elena’s journey as a newbie vampire, Plec also explains why tonight’s Memorial acts as a Season 3 finale:
Insider.com: Earlier you mentioned that you were slow playing these first few episodes. Does that allow these characters, whose lives whoosh by, to take stock of everything that’s happened?
Julie: For sure. I look at episode two in my own special way as the finale of last season’s journey. We never got a chance to mourn, we never got a chance to properly grieve Alaric. In a way, our characters are never given the opportunity to sit and think about the terrible things that happen to them. This is a way of saying to the audience, we are allowing ourselves this moment to grieve. We are putting this away and moving forward. In many ways, episode three is truly the launch of season three [four? - V.] in that we’re really beginning a new chapter. Episode one and two are almost like a nice bow wrapped on end of season three.
This week’s TV Guide Vampire Diaries Bite is good news for fans of Damon’s reckless side, looks like we’ll be seeing some more of it soon, and that it will be a big draw for Elena’s own wild side. Hear what Julie Plec has to say about it in the clip below.
Speaking of reckless, Zach Roerig answers questions from Celebuzz about Matt Donovan’s guilt issues and what might be in store for him this season.
Celebuzz: Matt is obviously feeling a lot of guilt about Elena’s sacrifice for him. How is that going to continue to impact his role this season?
Zach Roerig: Feeling that guilt is going to make him is question why he is alive. I just think both Salvatore brothers are going to encourage Matt in different ways to kind of put up or shut up. Matt’s involvement is stepped up in everything.
Zach Roerig isn’t the only one who has to step up this season, Nina Dobrev has a whole new challenge as she takes on Elena’s new reality. The TV Chick spoke with the actress about all the changes Elena is going through this season.
What are you looking forward to this season for your character?
To go on the journey with her and sort of see how she deals with things, and it’s sad though. She never wanted this at all and now she has no choice. Not just for today, but forever. And she’s stuck with this lifestyle, but who knows. Everything happens for a reason, and maybe one day she’ll be really thankful and really happy that she gets to live through different eras and different times. Maybe she will leave all these boys behind and try to find a cure for cancer or make some good of it.
We’re all still reeling from last night’s premiere, Growing Pains (EP401), but that doesn’t mean the interviews, teasers, and general flood of coverage has stopped. So how about some morning reading to answer some questions – and, undoubtedly, create plenty of new questions? Fair warning: You should assume that these are all spoilery through last night’s episode, and there are some hints about the rest of the season as well. Enjoy, and hit the comments with your theories about what’s going on!
- Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Explosive Premiere Cliffhanger, Klaus’ New Role and More! at TVLine
- No Magic for Bonnie? Sibling Rivalry? Vampire Diaries Boss Answers Premiere Burning Questions at TV Guide
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ premiere recap: Plus, your burning Season 4 questions answered by Julie Plec at Zap2it
- The Vampire Diaries Scoop: Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev and Paul Wesley Tease What’s Next, Talk Politics! at E!Online
- Vampire Diaries: 10 Things We Are Dying to Love about Season 4 at TheTelevixen
As if tonight’s season premiere wasn’t enough, Entertainment Weekly has revealed the first glimpse of Klaus and Elijah in 12th century garb (and hair!). In the accompanying video, costume designer Leigh Leverett talks about her style choices, and which character’s look was deliberately altered a bit from the period norm.
“I look at research from the period and find the best styles… that I think fit our show,” Leverett says about the three costumes she created for the episode. “We actually built all of this in our tailor shop.”
We’ve also got a few more interviews and goodies to help tide you over until tonight:
- VIDEO INTERVIEW: Julie Plec (Executive Producer) from The Vampire Diaries via the TV Chick
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Pic: Klaus Hits His Breaking Point On Season Premiere via Hollywood Life
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Kat Graham Teases Season 4 Will ‘Blow Your Mind’ via Give Me My Remote
Happy premiere day! If you woke up in desperate need of some Vampire Diaries content to get you through your morning, you’re in luck: Julie Plec talked to TV Guide about Elena’s transition and how it affects her and the triangle. Without getting into too many of the specifics (click through if you want to see!), we can give you this interesting bit:
“Elena is uncompromising about is the length she’ll go to protect the people she cares about and as a vampire that takes on a whole new meaning. So I do think there is some element of concern on the part of her closest friends to make sure she’s not losing her way or losing sight of herself in all this – especially how it relates to the Salvatore brothers.”
And in the first Vampire Diaries Bite video of the season, Robyn Ross gives some tantalizing teases about the premiere. (Warning: Slightly spoilery! Watch at your own risk!)
It’s going to be a busy week, so here’s the next batch of interviews for your enjoyment. First up, Julie Plec previews Season 4′s return over at The Hollywood Reporter.
THR: Now that Elena’s exploring her new state of being as a vampire, will this force her to open her mind up?
Plec: Elena becoming a vampire, in a way, is an awakening of a person who is about to go through a lot of changes – some for the better and some for the worse, some for the darker and some for the lighter. In all that, she is going to evolve as a person and her relationships are going to evolve accordingly. I can’t say much beyond that other than that it’s a journey for her of an adolescent growing up to a really tragic adulthood. We change a lot in those years and we change what we want out of life; it’s a constant evolution.
TV Guide sits down with Nina Dobrev to talk vampire!Elena, Stefan and Damon, and Season 4 surprises.
Over at Entertainment Weekly, Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder talk about vampire sex. And that’s all we need to say, right?
Zach Roerig chats with MTV’s Hollywood Crush about the State of the Donovan in Season 4 and how last season’s events will affect Matt’s relationship with Elena. (Also, book fans, there’s a nice spoilery gimme in that article that might interest you.)
“Damon definitely blames Matt and doesn’t think that Matt deserves to live,” Zach explained. “Of course Damon, being the rage-filled-fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guy, comes at Matt. But thankfully Elena is there to defend him.
“Both Salvatore brothers make it clear to Matt that he needs to earn his survival,” he added.
And, finally, the Associated Press sat down with Daniel Gillies to talk Elijah, Elena, and Season 4.
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks.
- Big congrats to our Name Elena’s Teddy Bear/Love You To Death 3 contest winners! Crissy has chosen “Bearton Earnspaw” as the winning entry, so congrats to Sue on the clever Wuthering Heights reference! And congrats to Theresa and Amy for being two of our four random winners. (Hey, other two winners, check your Twitter DMs and get back to us before we draw two new winners in your place!) All winners will receive an autographed copy of Love You To Death 3, and the grand prize winner also gets some awesome official TVD merch. Thanks to everyone who entered!
- Kat Graham and Candice Accola live at the iHeartRadio music festival. (Video above)
- Ian Somerhalder’s OFFICIAL Facebook page, so stop following fakes.
- Ian Somerhalder on the cover of Defy Magazine.
- Nina Dobrev gives fans a wave as she heads to an interview with Extra.
- Phoebe Tonkin and Claire Holt at the Teen Vogue Young Hollywood Party.
- Daniel Gillies interview with Xtreme 107.1 Radio.
- Video of Kat Graham and Ian Somerhalder onstage at the 2012 Environmental Media Awards.
- Ian Somerhalder at the 2012 Environmental Media Awards.
- Kat Graham, also at the 2012 Environmental Media Awards.
- Big congrats to Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec for making the list of The Holywood Reporter’s Top 50 Showrunners of 2012.
- As part of their TV Club Ten, The AV Club shares their choices for the 10 episodes that best showcase The Vampire Diaries.
- Nina Dobrev has a feature in the November 2012 issue of Glamour. And US Weekly has more photos.
- Great news for Sara Canning fans! SyFy has picked up Primeval: New World for 13 episodes in 2013.
- Fun photo of Daniel Gillies and Rachael Leigh Cook at a pre-Emmy event.
- Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder make Glamour UK’s 50 Sexiest Men List.
- Elena Gilbert and Alaric Saltzman makes Hollywood Life’s list of 20 Most Shocking TV Death From the Past Year.
- Paul Wesley and Michael Trevino make Huffington Post’s 27 Older Celebrities Who FAIL At Playing Teens. In other news, it’s Hollywood and no one cares.
And here we go: The CW has released the official episode synopsis for the Vampire Diaries: Memorial (EP402). The episode airs on Thursday, October 18th! NOTE: It seems like the CW sent out the episode 2 description with the Season 4 premiere date attached. Hopefully we’ll have some clarification soon!
Highlight the text below for spoilers:
A NEW DANGER COMES TO TOWN — Elena (Nina Dobrev) tries to cope with the extreme highs and lows that are part of becoming a vampire, and Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Damon (Ian Somerhalder) almost come to blows while arguing about what is best for her. Damon decides to help Elena in his own way and asks her not to tell Stefan. A stranger, Connor Jordan (guest star Todd Williams, “Chicago Code”), arrives in town and begins questioning Sheriff Forbes and Mayor Lockwood. Connor’s actions quickly convince Stefan that they are dealing with a dangerous vampire hunter. Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) and Matt (Zach Roerig) are surprised to see a girl they used to know, April, (guest star Grace Phipps, “The Nine Lives of Chloe King”), has returned to town and is enrolling at Mystic Falls High. At a town gathering, Elena comes close to losing control until Caroline steps in to help her. Finally, Damon confides his feelings to an unexpected friend. Kat Graham and Michael Trevino also star.
The episode was written by Jose Molina and Julie Plec and directed by Rob Hardy.
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- YO, BRO! Did you miss Paul Wesley on The Tonight Show last night? Watch Part 1 and Part 2.
- Steven R. McQueen and Michael Trevino (and former TVD guest stars Taylor Kinney and Stephen Amell) are featured as one of Bullett Magazine’s Primetime TV’s Newest Heartbreakers.
- Kat Graham attended Variety’s 6th Annual Power Of Youth Event on September 15 in Los Angeles. Check out photos here and here.
- Kat also attended NYLON & Sony’s September TV Issue Launch Event.
- Michael Trevino lands on The Hollywood Reporter’s 35 Hottest Young Latinos in Entertainment.
- Just Jared has photos from Nina Dobrev’s Seventeen Magazine signing in Atlanta.
- Watch Nina’s appearance on Chelsea Lately.
- VH1 chats with Nina about The Perks of Being a Wallflower and TVD.
- And Nina chats with PopSugar!
- Julie Plec talks fans and Twitter with the Wall Street Journal.
- Claire Holt nabbed first place at the 2012 Malibu Triathlon. Congrats, Claire!
- Ian Somerhalder is a judge in Tom’s of Maine’s 50 States of Good, a contest for non-profits.
It’s feeling like fall out, and the CW’s summer rewatch is almost complete: tonight is Before Sunset (EP321). But good news: Season three is now available for Netflix Instant customers in the U.S., so get streaming to your heart’s content!
And if you want to know what actually happened to Jeremy’s dog, you should check out Love You To Death – Season 3: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries by our own Crissy Calhoun, in which Julie Plec reveals all. (Well, okay, not all. But some of us have important puppy-related priorities.)
Episode refresher course:
- Reaction post & poll
- Complete songlist
- Discuss the episode
- Crissy Calhoun’s recap: Strength in Numbers
Miss a post this week?
- Kat Graham on Season 4: “It feels like Christmas.” (VIDEO)
- Olympic Champion Gabby Douglas to Appear on The Vampire Diaries
- CW Interview with Claire Holt (VIDEO)
- Love You To Death 3 & TVD Prize Pack Giveaway Contest: Name Elena’s Teddy Bear!
- E!News Exclusive Webclip from Growing Pains (EP401)
- Webclip for Growing Pains (Season 4 Premiere)
- Friday Night Bites, Sept. 7-14: The Many Looks Of Nina Dobrev, Graduate To Go Studios, Essential Homme Ian
- CW Interview with Zach Roerig (VIDEO)