Entertainment Weekly has a fun photo gallery highlighting six of the new characters we’ll be seeing in Vampire Diaries Season 5 – well, not all of them are entirely new, because we’ll be seeing a lot more of this guy:
The face is familiar, but it’s a totally new role for Wesley, who’s now also playing the 2,000 year old immortal who quickly returns to Mystic Falls. ”The fun of Silas is much like season 1 Damon [Ian Somerhalder] in that he’s up to something and no one can quite figure out what it is,” exec producer Julie Plec says. ”Specifically for Damon, it’s driving him crazy because it’s like the tables have turned: If you remember in season 1, Stefan was always saying to Damon, ‘What are you up to?’ and Damon’s like, ‘That’s for me to know and you to….’ Silas plays the same little tricks on Damon, so it’s up to Damon to get to the bottom of what Silas wants, what he’s doing to get it, how it’s gonna impact all of them, and ultimately how they can put a stop to it.”
The post also features tidbits about Olga Fonda as Nadia, Kendrick Sampson as Jesse, Rick Cosnett as Dr. Wes Maxfield, Janina Gavankar as Tessa, and Shaun Sipos as Aaron.
It’s all really happening: the CW has released the very first episode synopsis for The Originals series premiere, called Always and Forever (EP101). The Originals premieres on Thursday, October 3 at 9/8c, right after the TVD Season 5 premiere. Highlight for spoilers:
KLAUS MIKAELSON, THE ORIGINAL VAMPIRE/WEREWOLF HYBRID, RETURNS TO NEW ORLEANS IN THIS SPIN-OFF OF “THE VAMPIRE DIARIES” — Klaus Mikaelson (Joseph Morgan), the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, has returned to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans – the city his family helped build 300 years ago. Determined to help his brother, Elijah (Daniel Gillies) leaves their sister Rebekah (Claire Holt) behind and follows Klaus. Elijah learns that the beautiful and rebellious werewolf Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) – Klaus’ onetime flame – has fallen into the hands of a powerful witch named Sophie Deveraux (Daniella Pineda). When Sophie reveals some life-changing news, Elijah realizes that the Original family may have been given a second chance at humanity and redemption. Klaus, however, is more intrigued by his recent unexpected reunion with his former protégé, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), a charismatic but diabolical vampire who now has total control over the supernatural inhabitants of New Orleans. Klaus vows to reclaim what was once his – the power, the city and his family. The series also stars Leah Pipes as Cami and Danielle Campbell as Davina.
The episode was directed by Chris Grismer and written by Julie Plec and Michael Narducci.
Special Note: Thanks to Carina MacKenzie for clarifying the production number being #102 in the network listing even though it’s the premiere. Explanation at the link. For general purposes, we’ll be referring to this episode as 101, as we follow air dates and not production.
Ready to see another extra from the season four DVD set of The Vampire Diaries? In What’s a Vampire Cure Look Like? at IGN, Julie Plec, Caroline Dries, and others discuss creating the actual vampire cure prop that played such a large role in the season.
Thanks to Give Me My Remote, we have another goodie from San Diego Comic-Con to get us through this last long stretch of summer hiatus. Julie Plec spoke with reporters about The Originals, flashbacks, Shakespeare, potential crossovers, and more:
Between San Diego Comic-Con, TCA, and general summer distractions, some things inevitably fall through the cracks, so let’s catch up on some news and interviews we’ve missed in the past week or two. And never fear: Things will be gearing back up soon, as we’re only about seven weeks away from the joint premiere night for The Vampire Diaries and The Originals on the CW on October 3rd at 8/7c and 9/8c, respectively. (The Originals will then move to its normal Tuesday timeslot.)
- Julie Plec on Syncing Up THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and THE ORIGINALS, and Retelling THE ORIGINALS’ Backdoor Pilot [Give Me My Remote]
- Moving On Out! Claire Holt Reflects on Transitioning From THE VAMPIRE DIARIES to THE ORIGINALS [The TV Addict]
- THE ORIGINALS: Joseph Morgan on the ‘Incredibly Rewarding Opportunity’ to Further Explore Klaus [Give Me My Remote]
- The Originals Scoop: All My Children Star Cast as Wild and Sexy Witch Leader [E!Online]
- The Showrunner Chronicles: Julie Plec Talks THE ORIGINALS and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES [The TV Addict]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’: Kat Graham on Bonnie’s Costly Sacrifice and Season 5 Hints (Video) [The Hollywood Reporter]
Some of you TVD fans may already be heading back to school or getting ready for college, and you won’t be alone! Hollywood Crush has an interview with Julie Plec with some hints about the upcoming fifth season of The Vampire Diaries. Julie talks about Elena and Caroline’s new dorm room, a little about Whitmore College itself, and what frame of mind the girls are in as the season opens.
“They’re really committed to enjoying life and enjoying college and being college freshmen,” Julie said. It’s a good plan—too bad it’s not going to work. “Of course things will go instantly, terribly wrong, because that’s what always happens, but they remain committed to trying to have a true college experience and it bonds them in a really good way.”
There are also a few hints about Caroline and Elena’s love lives and a new face to watch for!
There’s no rerun of The Vampire Diaries on the CW tonight, because they’re airing the Young Hollywood Awards. But you might want to tune in, because Ian Somerhalder is among the presenters! The ceremony and TV broadcast begin at 8/7c. Reruns return next Thursday, August 8th, with Down the Rabbit Hole (EP414).
In the meantime, let’s catch up on some of the coverage from the CW’s presentation at TCA press tour this week, which included a panel on The Originals!
- Deadline: TCA: CW’s ‘The Originals’ Is About “Embracing Vampirism” Says EP
- Give Me My Remote: The CW at TCA: Panel Photos for THE ORIGINALS, REIGN, THE TOMORROW PEOPLE, and WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?
- Give Me My Remote: The CW at TCA: Party Photos!
- Give Me My Remote: THE ORIGINALS at TCA: Live-Blog
- HitFix: Press Tour: ‘The Originals’ stars talk vampire fatigue, mermaids
- The Hollywood Reporter: ‘The Originals’ Boss Targets Broader Audience for ‘Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff
- IGN: The Originals Embrace Their Vampirism
- TV Guide: The Originals Boss Julie Plec: We’re Reveling in Being Vampires
Lots of news coming out of Comic-Con 2013 about the upcoming season 5 of The Vampire Diaries and the series premiere of The Originals – it’s the perfect antidote to the hiatus blues. In case you missed it, yesterday we posted new sizzle reels from The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. Today we have all kinds of goodies for you, and we’ll be adding to this post as more information becomes available.
All posts may contain hints, teases and spoilers, click at your own risk.
The Vampire Diaries
- Comic-Con 2013: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Live-Blog [HitFix]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES at Comic-Con: Live-Blog [Give Me My Remote]
- Comic-Con 2013: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ panel returns and fans scream [Zap2it]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ At Comic-Con: Silas, ‘Delena’ & More Season 5 Scoop [Hollywood Life]
- Comic-Con: ‘Vampire Diaries’ Cast, Producers Tease Season 5 [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Comic-Con: The Vampire Diaries Heads to College! [TV Guide]
- Vampire Diaries @ Comic-Con: Power-Hungry ‘Stefan,’ Happy (?) Delena, a Bigger Bad and More [TVLine]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ stars answer your questions at Comic-Con — VIDEO [Entertainment Weekly]
- Comic-Con: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Readies For Season 5, 100th Episode & The College Years (Video) [Deadline]
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ at Comic-Con: The cast on Elena and Damon, the big 100th episode, and college plans [Entertainment Weekly]
- The Vampire Diaries at Comic-Con: The Stars and Executive Producer Tease Season 5 [Screenfad]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES at Comic-Con: Check Out Photos From the Panel and Signing [Give Me My Remote]
- ‘The Originals’ panel takes a bite out of Comic-Con 2013 [Zap2it]
- Comic-Con: ‘The Originals’ Boss Reveals Fall Premiere Details and Series Hopes [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Is The Originals ’10 Times Sexier’ Than Vampire Diaries? Plus: Co-Stars’ ‘Awkward’ Hand-holding! (VIDEO) [TVLine]
- Is There Hope for Klaroline on The Originals? [TV Guide]
- Joseph Morgan Teases The Originals: What Kind of Father Will Klaus Be? (Video) [TV Fanatic]
Warner Bros. has just announced its plans for Comic-Con International, and both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals have panels – and there’s a special Originals screening, too! Via Give Me My Remote:
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17 • BALLROOM 20
For the sixth straight year, WBTVG gets Comic-Con off to a dramatic start by hosting a special sneak peek, world-premiere screening event on Preview Night, debuting some of the most hotly anticipated new series of the year. For 2013, WBTV will screen the complete pilot episodes of Almost Human, The Tomorrow People and The 100 for the first time ever in public. Additionally, WBTV will unveil a special presentation of The Originals on the big screen, featuring never-before-seen footage that did not air as part of “The Originals” episode of The Vampire Diaries episode in April.
SATURDAY, JULY 20
The Originals (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW): Series stars Joseph Morgan, Claire Holt, Phoebe Tonkin and Charles Michael Davis join executive producer Julie Plec.
The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays 8/7c The CW): Comic-Con veterans Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Kat Graham and Candice Accola join executive producers Julie Plec and Caroline Dries.
They have not announced times for the panels yet, but we’ll let you know when they do. Please note that the exact panel lineups are subject to change, but it’s great to see that both shows are getting a share of the spotlight! Comic-Con International will be held at the San Diego Convention Center from July 18-21; read all about it at the official site.
Julie Plec was in Austin recently for the ATX Television Festival. At the TVD panel she gave a few teases for the upcoming season and Hollywood Life has the goods.
…Julie said fans will really enjoy Stefan’s doppelganger story line, which will allow Paul Wesley to flex his acting muscles as two completely different characters.
“[There will be] a pretty cool mythology that will carry on in terms of Silas, and the mystery of his past — 1,000 or 2,000 years ago,” she said.
Not going to lie, we are pretty excited to see Paul Wesley tackle this new challenge. READ MORE SEASON 5 HINTS AT HOLLYWOOD LIFE.
Speaking of new challenges, congratulations to all of you who are graduating this year! The CW also wants to wish you all well, and someone over there has a great sense of humor. Check out their TVD-themed message for graduates.