TVLine caught up with Kevin Williamson at the TCA Press Tour and talked to him about what’s coming up for Damon and Elena in season three:
“It’s not so much about, ‘Are Damon and Elena going to fall madly in love and live happily ever after?’” says Williamson. “It’s, ‘Are Damon and Elena going to be able to find the man they both love?’ … It’s going to be fun to watch Damon and Elena form this relationship that at its core is about a search for the man they both care about.”
With Stefan gone, Damon and Elena will have to settle into a new dynamic.
“It’s about defining their roles,” says Williamson of the arc. “Are they going to be friends? Lovers? How are they going to define themselves? Because it will be a defining moment for both of them.”
Kevin Williamson fielded a few Vampire Diaries questions during The Secret Circle portion of the Television Critics Association press panel today. Here are some choice snippets via Twitter by attending press:
@VladaGelman: Tyler/Caroline/Matt triangle going to be right alongside Stefan/Elena/Damon.
@TVGuideMagazine: Bonnie will be “front and center” during the new season of #VampireDiaries says Kevin Williamson
@TVDWetpaint: A witch is at the root of the Original families mythology – so Kevin Williamson says Bonnie will be at the center of Season 3.
@LauinLA: And Bonnie’s story is integral to next season of #TVD, she’s at the center of both Jeremy’s story and the Stefan/Klaus/hybrid arc.
@BuzzSugar: #VampireDiaries fans: don’t get your hopes up for a cross over with #TheSecretCircle. Kevin Williamson says it ain’t happenin’
During the CW panel at the Television Critics Association press day today, new CW president Mark Pedowitz commented on the lack of an additional episode order for The Vampire Diaries (which had some fans up in arms last night). Turns out keeping Vampire Diaries Season 3 to 22 episodes was by Kevin Williamson’s request. Via @TVGMSchneider:
Kevin Williamson didn’t want to do more than 22 episodes of the #VampireDiaries which is why it didn’t get more eps like other #thecw shows.
The reason? TVD’s tight production schedule and the wish to not sacrifice the show’s quality for quantity. No reason to panic.
To read more about Pedowitz’s comments, you can read select tweets on the @tvdnews timeline and head over to Zap2It for a breakdown. Pedowitz touched on watching the show (he’s halfway through Season 1), DVD sales for TVD (question for the WB, but he thinks it does well), and whether additional L.J. Smith works are in development (he doesn’t think so – and we think that’s highly unlikely).
Kat Graham and Kevin Williamson represented The Vampire Diaries at last night’s TCA CBS/Showtime/The CW party. Check out photos of Kat below (UPDATE: Added a few pics of Kat, Kevin, Thomas Dekker, and CW president Mark Pedowitz courtesy of Kat Graham Source and the CW Network):
STILL ADDING TO THIS POST! REFRESH FOR UPDATES!
See our previous Vampire Diaries at Comic Con 2011 posts:
- Comic Con 2011: Signing at the WB booth + The Vampire Diaries panel
- Comic Con 2011: IGN interviews stars of The Vampire Diaries
- Comic Con 2011: Entertainment Weekly’s Comic Con cast portrait & video interview
- Comic Con 2011: Entertainment Weekly portraits of Paul Wesley & Ian Somerhalder
- Comic Con 2011: Take a Bite Out of This WB Recap (video)
- Comic Con 2011: Vampire Diaries Goodness from Around the Convention
- Comic Con 2011: TV Guide Fan Favorites Panel Recap
Videos & Interviews
- Comic Con Q&A with TVD Cast from AOL TV
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Paul Wesley talks Season 3 ‘torment and heartbreak’ via Zap2It
- The Vampire Diaries Season Three Scoop: Here Comes the Hybrid Army! from E!Online
- Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev Interviews At Comic Con 2011 (VIDEOS) Paul Does Damon Eyebrow Impression and Nina Teases What Damon Gives Elena For Birthday via ThinkHero
- Ian Somerhalder Talks About The Vampire Diaries’ Season Three and Says There’s “A Lot of Me in Damon” via BuzzSugar
- Nina Dobrev Says That Elena’s “Got It Good” With Two Men After Her on The Vampire Diaries via BuzzSugar
- Nina Dobrev on New Season of ‘Vampire Diaries’ via Extra TV
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Star Ian Somerhalder Dishes On Damon’s Evolving Relationship With Elena via MTV Hollywood Crush
- Ian Somerhalder Chats ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 3 And His Thoughts On Damon And Bonnie via Fanbolt
- Joseph Morgan wants to see some Stormtroopers from San Diego 6 (Links to other San Diego six interviews here.)
- The Vampire Diaries Creator Kevin Williamson Says It May Not Be OK For Elena to Love Both Damon and Stefan via BuzzSugar
- TV Fanatic Talks to Candice Accola via TV Fanatic
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Season 3: Tyler and Caroline manage their supernatural ‘urges’ via Zap2It
- Ian Somerhalder: Robert Pattinson is a ‘pretty sexy dude’ via On The Red Carpet
- Joseph Morgan: Does Klaus Have a Heart? via TV Fanatic
- TV Fanatic to Nina Dobrev: About That Kiss… via TV Fanatic
- Joseph Morgan talks about “The Season of the Originals” from TV Addict
- Joseph Morgan on Klaus leading Stefan down a ‘path of corruption’ from Zap2it.
- Interviews with Paul Wesley & Candice Accola & article about Season 3 spoilers. from TV Overmind
- Joseph Morgan & Paul Wesley from Dread Central
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 3 Preview: Nina Dobrev Talks Damon, Stefan’s Changing Roles via MTV Hollywood Crush
- SDCC 2011: Interview With The Vampire Diaries’ Ian Somerhalder And Nina Dobrev via ShockYa.com
- Season 3 Cast Videos via MovieWeb.com
- Julie Plec Talks Bad Boy Stefan & Promises “Naked Action” for Caroline & Tyler via BuzzSugar
- Paul Wesley talks Ripper Stefan at SDCC via The Voice of TV
- Joseph Morgan talks Season 3 of The Vampire Diaries via The Voice of TV
- Candice Accola Talks ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 3 At Comic Con 2011 via Fanbolt
- Interview With The Vampire Diaries’ Bad Boy “Klaus” – Joseph Morgan via KsiteTV (new)
- Paul Wesley on the Future of Stefan & Klaus (video) via TV Fanatic (new)
Photos (around the Con, parties, red carpets, etc.)
- Nina & Ian at Entertainment Weekly’s 5th Annual Comic Con party via JustJared
- Ian Somerhalder, Jon Favreau and more celebs on the Comic-Con party scene via Washington Post
- Comic-Con: The Parties via Variety
- Vampire Diaries stars at Maxim/FX Party via E!Online
From the V-D.net Gallery:
Now that Comic Con is over, catch up on what you missed with this WB recap video, “The Vampire Diaries Takes a Bite Out of Comic Con.” Watch for clips from the panel, interviews with Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder, Kevin Williamson, and Joseph Morgan, fan reactions, and more!
We always look forward to Entertainment Weekly‘s annual tradition of Comic Con cast portraits and here is the Vampire Diaries cast portrait for 2011, photographed by Michael Muller (see bigger version in the Gallery):
And EW’s Sandra Gonzalez caught up with Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Candice Accola, Joseph Morgan and Julie Plec in their Comic Con interview lounge:
THIS POST IS A STICKY, KEEP SCROLLING FOR MORE NEWS. KEEP REFRESHING THIS POST FOR NEW LINKS BEING ADDED.
Stuck at home waiting to find out just what took place at Comic Con today? You’re not alone. But Vee and Crissy Calhoun have been tweeting from the panel and signing booth and taking pictures and video, while the rest of us have been ferreting out goodies from other sources to collect together. Don’t forget to keep checking back, because we’ll be adding more stuff as we find it!
First up, a recap of what took place at the panel. Highlight or mouseover the spoiler blocks to see the potentially spoilery stuff.
- The audience sang Happy Birthday to Paul Wesley.
- There was a brief clip from season 3 featuring Damon and Elena. Damon surprises Elena while he’s stark naked. Fans screamed.
- Everyone seems unanimous on seeing Kayla Ewell and Sara Canning die on the show. Paul also mentions Rose. Julie reveals she still gets hate mail for killing off Mason Lockwood.
- Paul is looking forward to exploring the darker side with Ripper Stefan.
- Elijah will be back, at the very least in flashbacks.
- Jeremy is being haunted by ghosts
- Candice tells the audience she thinks it’s cool to do stunts and be a strong young woman. When asked what’s in store for Caroline and Tyler, Ian interjects with, “Puppies!”
- Julie jokes that Katherine skipped town to Hawaii after the season finale.
- On the subject of Damon and Elena dating: Julie points out that Katherine said it was okay to love both brothers, and that was for a reason. Kevin says that Elena will not just run into Damon’s arms now that Stefan is off with Klaus.
- Nina reveals that Justin Bieber wanted to be on the show. Kevin states that he thinks stunt casting is unnecessary and that they’ll cast based on what’s good for the story.
- At the end of the panel, everyone whipped out Team t-shirts. Paul had Team Damon, Ian had Team Stefan, Nina had Team Katherine, Candice had Team Tyler, and Joseph had Team Klaus. Julie and Kevin had a t-shirt listing all the main characters. Ian Somerhalder then says, “All of these teams together make up this kick-ass family that we call Vampire Diaries.”
- LiveStream footage of the panel (from Paul Wesley Fans)
- Paul Wesley & Ian Somerhalder saying hi to the crowd (from @tvdnews)
- Video from the Sacrifice Circle (from @CrissyCalhoun)
- Panel footage (from @CrissyCalhoun)
- Panel footage featuring Paul’s Klaus impression (from @CrissyCalhoun)
- More panel footage (from @CrissyCalhoun)
- Panel footage featuring Nina and the difficult choice between Stefan and Damon (from @CrissyCalhoun) (new)
- Panel continued (from @CrissyCalhoun) (new)
- Brief interview with Nina Dobrev (from The Futon Critic) (new)
- Brief interview with Joseph Morgan (from The Futon Critic) (new)
- Brief interview with Paul Wesley (from The Futon Critic) (new)
- Brief interview with Candice Accola (from The Futon Critic) (new)
- Interview with Paul Wesley (from Zap2it) (new)
- Kevin, Ian, Julie and Nina at the panel (from @EricIGN)
- Julie, Nina and Joseph at the panel (from @EricIGN)
- Candice, Paul and Kevin at the panel (from @EricIGN)
- Kevin’s Team Everyone t-shirt (from @JBomb11)
- Nina’s Team Katherine t-shirt (from @JBomb11)
- Joseph’s team Klaus t-shirt (from @JBomb11)
- Vampire Diaries signing in effect
- Candice Accola, Paul Wesley & Julie Plec
- Nina Dobrev, Kevin Williamson & Ian Somerhalder
- Candice Accola, Paul Wesley & Julie Plec
- Nina Dobrev & Joseph Morgan
- Eliza Dushku at the TVD signing
- Group shot
- Another group shot
- Perspective shot
- Before the cast and producers arrive at the panel
- The HitFix live blog
- TV Line’s panel recap
- E!online panel recap
- Zap2it panel recap
- Hollywood Life panel recap (new)
- TVDONEWRIGHT.com panel recap (new)
- TV.com recap and photos (new)
- Hypable panel recap (new)
- BuzzSugar panel recap (new)
- TV Fanatic panel liveblog (new)
- io9 panel recap (new)
- Buddy TV panel recap (new)
- The Hollywood Reporter panel recap (new)
- Digital Spy panel liveblog (new)
- EW Inside TV panel recap (new)
- Cinema Blend panel liveblog (new)
- Wetpaint panel recap (new)
THIS POST IS A STICKY, KEEP SCROLLING FOR MORE NEWS. KEEP REFRESHING THIS POST FOR NEW LINKS BEING ADDED.
The Vampire Diaries panel and signing session may not be taking place until tomorrow, but there are already tidbits about the show floating around. We’ll be collecting them all together in this post so you can find and view them all easily. We’ll be putting up a similar post tomorrow to collect everything from the panel and signing events.
To get you in the mood, we’ll start by posting the Teaser Reel from Comic Con, courtesy of TV Guide. Sorry, no new footage, but it does make when heck of a sexy recap for season 2.
- Paul talks to San Diego 6 (new)
- Ian talks to San Diego 6 (new)
- Nina talks to San Diego 6 (new)
- Candice talks to San Diego 6 (new)
- Candice talks to TV Fanatic (new)
- Vintage-style promo poster at the WB booth
- Kevin Williamson scanning the TVD tag (from @TheWBDotCom)
- Kevin Williamson in front of a True Blood poster (from @MSLisaChang)
- Fans with TVD Comic Con
- Nina Dobrev at the Camp Playboy party
- Joseph Morgan (from @JimHalterman)
- Candice Accola in the press line (from @EricIGN)
- Candice Accola with @EricIGN
- Nina Dobrev (from @DreadCentral)
- Paul Wesley (from @DreadCentral)
- Ian Somerhalder (from @DreadCentral)
- Joseph Morgan in the press line (from @EricIGN)
- Nina, Paul and Ian in the press line (from @ETKaleidoscope)
- The Hollywood Reporter’s Comic Con coverage
- Daemon’s TV: TV Guide Magazine Fan Favorites Comic-Con 2011 Panel
- The Secret Circle cast on the Vampire Diaries
- Hollywood Reporter Q&A with Nina Dobrev
- Hollywood Reporter Q&A with Julie Plec
- Julie Plec talks Elijah with VampireSite.net
TIDBITS FROM THE CAST & PRODUCERS
- Cool dress made from a 2010 TVD Comic Con bag (from @ninadobrev)
Comic Con has begun! Yesterday was the TV Guide Fan Favorites panel, and Vee and Chrissy Calhoun were on the scene to bring us the good stuff – including that Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette from True Blood) is a big Vampire Diaries fan!
There were a lot of people on hand for the panel, and it covered a lot of different shows, but there were a few tidbits on The Vampire Diaries from Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson. Buddy TV has a nice collection of highlights from the panel.
When did they realize their show was a cult/fan favorite?
Kevin Williamson: “It all started with Twitter.”
Julie Plec: “When Ian Somerhalder beat Robert Pattinson in a Favorite Vampire contest.”
Remember, Vee will be tweeting throughout the weekend via @tvdnews, so make sure you’re following for all the latest TVD info, sightings, and news from San Diego!
Comic Con International 2011 officially kicks off tomorrow (!!!) – July 21st through July 24th – so we’re throwing together all of the Vampire Diaries-related info in one big post for easy reference. The best way to follow Comic Con as it happens? Twitter, of course. Common hashtags: #ComicCon, #SDCC, and for Warner Bros.-specific goodies, #WBSDCC. I’ll be tweeting all TVD happenings over at @tvdnews (I might even bribe Crissy Calhoun to tweet from there, too!) and myself and Crissy will also be tweeting other Comic Con stuff (Ringer! The Secret Circle! Game of Throooones!) at our personal Twitters: @dieslaughing and @crissycalhoun.
Some fans/sites/reporters/WB publicists that will be there: @IHeartTVD, @CAccolaWeb, @nina_network, @PaulWesleyFans, @heroine_tv, @entertainocd, @speedmouse, @cadlymack, @KSiteTV, @tbrick2, @Nedopak, @VladaGelman, @Angelized_1st, @TVGMDamian, @LauinLA, @TVGMDebra (TVD panel moderator), @ChrisMCtv (WB TVD publicist).
THURSDAY, JULY 21st
4:15-5:15 TV Guide Magazine: Fan Favorites— TV Guide is back with an all-star panel for the fans! Moderated by editor-in-chief Debra Birnbaum, Fan Favorites features your favorite talent from your favorite shows — in front of the camera and behind the scenes. Panelists include Nestor Carbonell (Ringer), Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory), Jorge Garcia (Alcatraz), Leslie Hope (The River), Zachary Levi (Chuck), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), Julie Plec (Vampire Diaries), Matt Smith (Doctor Who ), Kevin Williamson (Vampire Diaries), Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood), and others. Ballroom 20
SATURDAY, JULY 23rd (Special Notice: Paul Wesley’s birthday!)
The Vampire Diaries signing at Warner Bros. booth
Ticket Distribution (Sails Pavilion #9): 11:00 a.m.
Autograph Signing (Warner Bros. Booth, #4545): 1:00 p.m.
3:30-4:15 The Vampire Diaries Screening and Q&A — All the way from Mystic Falls, the cast and creative team behind The Vampire Diaries descend on Comic-Con for a third time! Series stars Nina Dobrev (Degrassi: The Next Generation), Paul Wesley (Roll Bounce), Ian Somerhalder (Lost), Candice Accola (Juno), and Joseph Morgan (Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World) join executive producers/writers Kevin Williamson (Scream) and Julie Plec (Kyle XY) to enthrall fans with a season two highlight reel and Q&A session. This edgy, romantic drama remains the number-one series on The CW and promises another round of twists, turns and “triangles” in season three. From Bonanza Productions Inc., Outerbanks Entertainment, and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios, The Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8/7c on The CW, and The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Second Season will be released on Blu-ray and DVD August 30. Ballroom 20
Kevin Williamson will also be representing The Secret Circle (Vampire Diaries’ new Thursday night dancing partner) on Saturday. Head over to TheSecretCircle.net for all the details!
SUNDAY, JULY 24TH
1-2pm – Smart Pop Book Booth in the Exhibitor’s Hall: Kiersten White & Vee signing for A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
Myself and Kiersten White (Visitor’s Guide contributor and YA author of Paranormalcy and Supernaturally) will be hanging out in the Smart Pop booth (B4) signing copies of the book and chatting about Vampire Diaries. Smart Pop is also going all out for their first Comic Con; they’ll be giving away 1,000 FREE books throughout Comic Con weekend. Get all the details in their blog (psst, you don’t have to be at Comic Con to win!).
And be sure to swing by the (MASSIVE) Warner Bros. booth in the Exhibitor’s Hall for cool Comic Con exclusive goodies: A Vampire Diaries bag and TV Guide Magazine’s Comic Con special issue with Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, and Ian Somerhalder on the cover! For those of you not attending the convention, make sure to check your local newsstand for the issue and international fans can order a copy at TV Guide Magazine. (And please be sure to buy one!)