Ever picture Damon Salvatore with a bloody head in one hand and a darling kitten in the other? Thanks to Ian Somerhalder and this interview with Collider, you will now! Ian Somerhalder rather neatly sums up Damon’s situation as the season opens:
Ultimately, he’s not happy with the way things have turned out. He tried, for two seasons, to get his brother to do what he wanted him to do, which is to be what he is. He wants them to just eat and destroy everything in their paths. Now, Stefan is running around with a guy that Damon hates and tried to kill him. He’s effectively left Damon in this town with this girl who’s 150 years younger than he is, that he’s in love with, but can’t have because she doesn’t want him and it’s his brother’s girl. He’s just sitting there, thinking to himself, “This sucks!” But, I think he’s going to rise to the occasion. He’ll have the same grin on his face, if he’s ripping your head off or saving a kitten. He feels the same way about both things.
The interview goes on to share Ian’s thoughts on the big Damon/Elena kiss, and how Damon might feel about sex with Bonnie. Definitely not one to miss!
Kevin Williamson also has some things to say about season 3, and he starts out by saying Klaus, Klaus, Klaus!
In the first half of the season, I think we’re going to really enjoy Klaus (Joseph Morgan), and him being not only an Original, but the bastard child of the Original Family. Now, he’s a hybrid and he’s lifted the curse. It will be watching what he does. He has a whole plan behind it all, and Stefan (Paul Wesley) is part of that plan. He sets his plan in motion in the very first episode, and we play that out for a while.
I love you, Kevin Williamson. <3
There's a lot more to the interview than just our favorite (and only) hybrid, however. Kevin talks about the different love triangles going on in Mystic Falls these days, and a little bit about Jeremy's ghostly girlfriends.
READ THE INTERVIEW WITH IAN SOMERHALDER HERE
READ THE INTERVIEW WITH KEVIN WILLIAMSON HERE
HarperTeen has revealed the cover of The Ripper, the upcoming fourth book in Stefan’s Diaries, based on The Vampire Diaries television series. The book hits the stores on November 8th! Read The Ripper synopsis here.
[Kindle US] [Kindle UK]
The CW has released the official episode synopsis for The Birthday, the Season 3 premiere of The Vampire Diaries. The show returns Thursday, September 15th! (That’s three weeks, people! Can you believe it?) Highlight for spoilers:
IT’S MY PARTY — [spoiler]On the morning of Elena’s (Nina Dobrev) 18th birthday, Caroline (Candice Accola) is busy planning a party, but Elena is focused on searching for any clues that might help her discover where Stefan (Paul Wesley) is. Damon (Ian Somerhalder) is also searching for Stefan, while trying to protect Elena and keep her from doing anything that would draw Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) attention. Meanwhile, Klaus and Stefan are busy trailing a werewolf named Ray Sutton (guest star David Gallagher, “Super 8”). Now working at the Mystic Grill along with Matt (Zach Roerig), Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) is struggling to understand why he keeps seeing the ghosts of Vicki (guest star Kayla Ewell) and Anna (guest star Malese Jow) since he was brought back to life by Bonnie’s (Kat Graham) magic. Meanwhile, Alaric (Matt Davis) does his best to watch over Elena and Jeremy, while dealing with his grief over Jenna’s death. Finally, Caroline and Tyler (Michael Trevino) face a new and unexpected challenge.[/spoiler]
The episode was directed by John Behring and written by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec.
E!Online is doing their part to keep Vampire Diaries fans alive as we crawl towards end the long summer hiatus. They’ve got an exclusive look at some of the new footage from the season 2 DVD extras, a behind-the-scenes look at Tyler’s werewolf transformation. Head on over to their site to read the article and see the video! The season 2 DVD & Blu-Ray sets will be released in the U.S. on August 30th.
If that weren’t enough, they also have some interesting tidbits for us about what’s coming up next for Bonnie and Jeremy, and some hints from Kevin Williamson about what Alaric will be up to as season 3 gets underway. Thank you, E!Online! You’re so good to us.
In case you haven’t heard (but you have, right?), The Vampire Diaries will have a new 9 p.m. partner this fall on the CW: The Secret Circle, based on L.J. Smith’s trilogy of the same name, adapted for the screen by Kevin Williamson (executive producer, The Vampire Diaries) and Andrew Miller (creator, Imaginary Bitches web series). Yep, an Alloy Entertainment/L.J. Smith/Kevin Williamson block on Thursday nights, which has us long-time fans of both series pinching ourselves and wondering what year it is. (The Secret Circle was originally published in 1992.)
The series stars Britt Robertson as Cassie (center) and (left to right) Thomas Dekker as Adam, Jessica Parker Kennedy as new (i.e.: non-book) character Melissa, Louis Hunter as Nick, Shelley Hennig as Diana, and Phoebe Tonkin as Faye.
The short version: We really, really liked The Secret Circle pilot.
NOTE: Yes, there are major changes from the books, but we think most fans are braced for that and we won’t dwell on the details here. (Tierney Bricker has an excellent breakdown if you’re curious about books vs. pilot. Please be aware that there have been changes to the pilot since the posting of the article.)
TVLine caught up with Kevin Williamson at the TCA Press Tour and talked to him about what’s coming up for Damon and Elena in season three:
“It’s not so much about, ‘Are Damon and Elena going to fall madly in love and live happily ever after?’” says Williamson. “It’s, ‘Are Damon and Elena going to be able to find the man they both love?’ … It’s going to be fun to watch Damon and Elena form this relationship that at its core is about a search for the man they both care about.”
With Stefan gone, Damon and Elena will have to settle into a new dynamic.
“It’s about defining their roles,” says Williamson of the arc. “Are they going to be friends? Lovers? How are they going to define themselves? Because it will be a defining moment for both of them.”
Kevin Williamson fielded a few Vampire Diaries questions during The Secret Circle portion of the Television Critics Association press panel today. Here are some choice snippets via Twitter by attending press:
@VladaGelman: Tyler/Caroline/Matt triangle going to be right alongside Stefan/Elena/Damon.
@TVGuideMagazine: Bonnie will be “front and center” during the new season of #VampireDiaries says Kevin Williamson
@TVDWetpaint: A witch is at the root of the Original families mythology – so Kevin Williamson says Bonnie will be at the center of Season 3.
@LauinLA: And Bonnie’s story is integral to next season of #TVD, she’s at the center of both Jeremy’s story and the Stefan/Klaus/hybrid arc.
@BuzzSugar: #VampireDiaries fans: don’t get your hopes up for a cross over with #TheSecretCircle. Kevin Williamson says it ain’t happenin’
During the CW panel at the Television Critics Association press day today, new CW president Mark Pedowitz commented on the lack of an additional episode order for The Vampire Diaries (which had some fans up in arms last night). Turns out keeping Vampire Diaries Season 3 to 22 episodes was by Kevin Williamson’s request. Via @TVGMSchneider:
Kevin Williamson didn’t want to do more than 22 episodes of the #VampireDiaries which is why it didn’t get more eps like other #thecw shows.
The reason? TVD’s tight production schedule and the wish to not sacrifice the show’s quality for quantity. No reason to panic.
To read more about Pedowitz’s comments, you can read select tweets on the @tvdnews timeline and head over to Zap2It for a breakdown. Pedowitz touched on watching the show (he’s halfway through Season 1), DVD sales for TVD (question for the WB, but he thinks it does well), and whether additional L.J. Smith works are in development (he doesn’t think so – and we think that’s highly unlikely).
Kat Graham and Kevin Williamson represented The Vampire Diaries at last night’s TCA CBS/Showtime/The CW party. Check out photos of Kat below (UPDATE: Added a few pics of Kat, Kevin, Thomas Dekker, and CW president Mark Pedowitz courtesy of Kat Graham Source and the CW Network):
STILL ADDING TO THIS POST! REFRESH FOR UPDATES!
See our previous Vampire Diaries at Comic Con 2011 posts:
- Comic Con 2011: Signing at the WB booth + The Vampire Diaries panel
- Comic Con 2011: IGN interviews stars of The Vampire Diaries
- Comic Con 2011: Entertainment Weekly’s Comic Con cast portrait & video interview
- Comic Con 2011: Entertainment Weekly portraits of Paul Wesley & Ian Somerhalder
- Comic Con 2011: Take a Bite Out of This WB Recap (video)
- Comic Con 2011: Vampire Diaries Goodness from Around the Convention
- Comic Con 2011: TV Guide Fan Favorites Panel Recap
Videos & Interviews
- Comic Con Q&A with TVD Cast from AOL TV
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Paul Wesley talks Season 3 ‘torment and heartbreak’ via Zap2It
- The Vampire Diaries Season Three Scoop: Here Comes the Hybrid Army! from E!Online
- Paul Wesley and Nina Dobrev Interviews At Comic Con 2011 (VIDEOS) Paul Does Damon Eyebrow Impression and Nina Teases What Damon Gives Elena For Birthday via ThinkHero
- Ian Somerhalder Talks About The Vampire Diaries’ Season Three and Says There’s “A Lot of Me in Damon” via BuzzSugar
- Nina Dobrev Says That Elena’s “Got It Good” With Two Men After Her on The Vampire Diaries via BuzzSugar
- Nina Dobrev on New Season of ‘Vampire Diaries’ via Extra TV
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Star Ian Somerhalder Dishes On Damon’s Evolving Relationship With Elena via MTV Hollywood Crush
- Ian Somerhalder Chats ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 3 And His Thoughts On Damon And Bonnie via Fanbolt
- Joseph Morgan wants to see some Stormtroopers from San Diego 6 (Links to other San Diego six interviews here.)
- The Vampire Diaries Creator Kevin Williamson Says It May Not Be OK For Elena to Love Both Damon and Stefan via BuzzSugar
- TV Fanatic Talks to Candice Accola via TV Fanatic
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Season 3: Tyler and Caroline manage their supernatural ‘urges’ via Zap2It
- Ian Somerhalder: Robert Pattinson is a ‘pretty sexy dude’ via On The Red Carpet
- Joseph Morgan: Does Klaus Have a Heart? via TV Fanatic
- TV Fanatic to Nina Dobrev: About That Kiss… via TV Fanatic
- Joseph Morgan talks about “The Season of the Originals” from TV Addict
- Joseph Morgan on Klaus leading Stefan down a ‘path of corruption’ from Zap2it.
- Interviews with Paul Wesley & Candice Accola & article about Season 3 spoilers. from TV Overmind
- Joseph Morgan & Paul Wesley from Dread Central
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 3 Preview: Nina Dobrev Talks Damon, Stefan’s Changing Roles via MTV Hollywood Crush
- SDCC 2011: Interview With The Vampire Diaries’ Ian Somerhalder And Nina Dobrev via ShockYa.com
- Season 3 Cast Videos via MovieWeb.com
- Julie Plec Talks Bad Boy Stefan & Promises “Naked Action” for Caroline & Tyler via BuzzSugar
- Paul Wesley talks Ripper Stefan at SDCC via The Voice of TV
- Joseph Morgan talks Season 3 of The Vampire Diaries via The Voice of TV
- Candice Accola Talks ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 3 At Comic Con 2011 via Fanbolt
- Interview With The Vampire Diaries’ Bad Boy “Klaus” – Joseph Morgan via KsiteTV (new)
- Paul Wesley on the Future of Stefan & Klaus (video) via TV Fanatic (new)
Photos (around the Con, parties, red carpets, etc.)
- Nina & Ian at Entertainment Weekly’s 5th Annual Comic Con party via JustJared
- Ian Somerhalder, Jon Favreau and more celebs on the Comic-Con party scene via Washington Post
- Comic-Con: The Parties via Variety
- Vampire Diaries stars at Maxim/FX Party via E!Online
From the V-D.net Gallery:
Now that Comic Con is over, catch up on what you missed with this WB recap video, “The Vampire Diaries Takes a Bite Out of Comic Con.” Watch for clips from the panel, interviews with Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder, Kevin Williamson, and Joseph Morgan, fan reactions, and more!