Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- Vampire Diaries Season 3 filming has officially started! Matt Davis tweeted the above picture on July 12th: “About to shoot the first shot/scene of TVD S3 with the lovely @ninadobrev and our awesome crew!” Ian Somerhalder tweeted a brief video of the Vampire Diaries Season 3 premiere call sheet. But most importantly, via Zach Roerig: “First wardrobe fitting down and it wasn’t a blue mystic grill shirt!”
- Do you follow the Vampire Diaries producers/writers on Twitter? For teases from the Writers’ Room: @kevwilliamson, @julieplec, @young_brian, @carolinedries, @alseptien, @turimeyer, @ronnenshine, @MichaelNarducci, @EPBleiweiss, @nickwauters.
- Entertainment Weekly’s Spoiler Room has this to say about what to expect from Stefan Salvatore as Season 3 kicks off: “Imagine the meanest, drunkest Stefan you’ve ever seen.” Us: *FISTPUMP!*
- We did this on Twitter, but might as well do it here, too: Happy, happy birthday to Steven R. McQueen (July 13th) and Sara Canning (July 14th)!
- Katherine and Klaus make TV Line’s list of Lovably Despicable Characters: “…[T]hese vamps are lovably deviant.”
- Katerina Graham Source has new outtakes from Kat’s OP photo campagn.
- WetPaint has an amusing piece suggesting gifts for Elena Gilbert’s 18th birthday. (Our favorite? A weapons permit.)
- Seventeen has a peek at Candice Accola’s workout playlist, which includes Metric and The Pixes.
- Kayla Ewell tweeted a link to the trailer for Keeping Up With the Randalls, her upcoming Hallmark TV movie.
- In a Flecking Records poll, Ian Somerhalder is determined to be the third-nicest person on Twitter.
- TV.com puts the Salvatore brothers on their list of Favorite TV Siblings.
- ClevverTV “breaks down Season 3,” but really they just talk about the photo Matt Davis tweeted.
- Ian Somerhalder wishes Sophia Bush a happy birthday. (Ian at 1:28.)
- Former TVD writer John Shiban pops up in The Wrap’s “Vince Gilligan Has ‘Breaking Bad’ — Where Are Other ‘X-Files’ Writers Now?”
The Hollywood Reporter has a Comic Con-centric interview with Kevin Williamson, who will be representing two CW shows at this year’s convention: The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle. Kev talks about his first Comic Con experience, why he enjoys the event so much, why the interaction between a property and its fans is important, and drops a few Vampire Diaries tidbits. (For the record, we think he meant “Klaus” instead of “Elijah” at one point, given the context.)
THR: What have you learned from Diaries?
Williamson: As a storyteller, I always felt that this type of storytelling — I call it hybrid – is part high school, part drama, part family, part vampire, part horror. I felt like all these types of shows when you see them on TV go too slow. I felt like it needed to have an energy to it. After watching eight years of 24, you can see what an adrenaline show can be like. I wanted to bring that adrenaline to a melodramatic horror soap opera. I didn’t want it to be slow and gothic and boring. I wanted it to be alive, and pulsating every step of the way, whether it’s through action, great emotion or epic love. I wanted to tell a big, huge epic story and I feel like the fans who watch it religiously understand that. And I hope more people will watch it. It’s just that little show on the CW still.
Entertainment Weekly‘s Mandi Bierly has more Season 3 goodies courtesy of Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec, and this time we have a nice tease for the developing relationship between Tyler and Caroline. Last we left our species-crossed pair, they were cuddling underneath a blanket in differing stages of (un)dress. And it looks like romance is indeed in the air though, like everything on The Vampire Diaries, it’s complicated:
“We now have a mother who knows her daughter’s a vampire, and we might soon have a mayor who figures out that her son is a werewolf,” Williamson says. “When that happens, it’s certainly building itself to a family feud. That’s the fun Mystic Falls storyline that’s underplaying throughout the entire season.”
Warner Bros. has made big changes this year in how they will handle booth signings. For safety reasons, WB has agreed to adopt Comic Con’s official ticket distribution system. What does this mean? It means fans wanting to attend a signing event at the Warner Bros. booth will need to enter a random ticket drawing for the chance at scoring a wristband. Only that wristband will grant you access to the signing.
Fans interested in attending signings at the Warner Bros. booth should review the schedule listed below, then plan to visit the Sails Pavilion at the time of each drawing. All fans present at the appointed time will receive numbered tickets that feature a distinct sticker. Then a randomized drawing will determine which fans receive wristbands granting access to each autograph line.
Info on the Vampire Diaries ticket drawing and signing are below:
Saturday, July 23
The Vampire Diaries
Ticket Distribution (Sails Pavilion #9): 11:00 a.m.
Autograph Signing (Warner Bros. Booth, #4545): 1:00 p.m.
Now, I know a lot of fans are upset by this news. Everyone wants a chance at coming face to face with the cast, getting a poster signed, etc. (And you will still have that chance with the ticket lottery.) But having been to Comic Con more than a few times now and experiencing first-hand the mob that gathers around the Warner Bros. booth – this is a good thing. Comic Con gets bigger every year, but the convention center and Exhibitor’s Hall remain the same. I guarantee once you see the Exhibitor’s Hall set-up and experience it packed to the gills with wall to wall people, you’ll understand why this was a necessary move for the WB, not only for safety reasons but for organization/schedule reasons as well. There seems to be a lot of concern about whether fans will be able to make the panel if they manage to snag a signing wristband. I’d say your chances of attending both are considerably improved with the new ticket system, as the signing will mostly likely be more organized and move quicker than years past.
That being said, good luck to everyone trying to snag a signing wristband! And, most importantly, have a blast at the Con.
Less than two weeks until the pop culture event of the year: Comic Con International 2011 in San Diego, July 21-24. Warner Bros. has already announced that Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Candice Accola, Joseph Morgan, Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson will be representing The Vampire Diaries on Saturday, July 23rd (incidentally, that’s Paul Wesley’s birthday!) with a panel in Ballroom 20, 3:30-4:15pm and a signing (time to be announced). KW fans can also catch him later that same day at the Secret Circle panel in Room 6BCF (more information at TheSecretCircle.net).
Comic Con released their Thursday, July 21st schedule today and it looks like Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson will be on the TV Guide Magazine: Fan Favorites panel, 4:15-5:15pm, in Ballroom 20 (following the Ringer and Game of Thrones panels). Here’s info on the panel, from the SDCC schedule:
4:15-5:15 TV Guide Magazine: Fan Favorites— TV Guide is back with an all-star panel for the fans! Moderated by editor-in-chief Debra Birnbaum, Fan Favorites features your favorite talent from your favorite shows — in front of the camera and behind the scenes. Panelists include Nestor Carbonell (Ringer), Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory), Jorge Garcia (Alcatraz), Leslie Hope (The River), Zachary Levi (Chuck), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), Julie Plec (Vampire Diaries), Matt Smith (Doctor Who ), Kevin Williamson (Vampire Diaries), Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood), and others. Ballroom 20
Also, former TVD writer Andrew Chambliss will be on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer and LGBT Comics Fandom panel on Thursday, 5-6pm, in Room 32AB. More info.
Stay tuned for more info on Vampire Diaries-at-SDCC 2011 as it is announced!
By the way, Vampire-Diaries.net will be there! Vee and Crissy Calhoun will be representing with iPhones in our hands and fangirlism in our hearts. Also, Vee will be signing A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries at the Smart Pop Books booth in the Exhibitor’s Hall on Sunday, July 24th, 1-2pm! (That’s well after the Supernatural panel, by the way. Just sayin’!) Smart Pop is doing a TON of cool stuff for con-goers and fans at home throughout SDCC weekend. Read all about it over at the Smart Pop blog! Please swing by and say hello!
The last image we were left with at the end of season 2 was of Jeremy coming face to face with the ghosts of girlfriends past; Anna and Vicki. The potential impact this will have on Jeremy and his relationship with Bonnie in season 3 is quite staggering, and in typical Vampire Diaries style, they’re going to be keeping us guessing for a good few episodes. Mandi Bierly over at Entertainment Weekly has the scoop.
“When we come back to see him at the beginning of the season, we’ll see that he still hasn’t had any success figuring out what it is that they want, or understanding even what it is that they are,” exec producer Julie Plec tells EW. “We’ll see that maybe he’s been keeping this a secret, that nobody else is aware of what he’s been going through, and that his behavior has changed quite a bit and people are starting to wonder if he’s perhaps getting back into some old bad habits. When in reality, he’s just trying to figure out why the hell he’s being haunted by his dead girlfriends.”
Wetpaint has an exclusive interview with Kayla Ewell about her return to The Vampire Diaries as Vicki . . . or Vicki’s ghost? Or something.
“I think what’s interesting about Vicki coming back is that it’s not just solely about Jeremy. It’s about having unfinished business with my brother, Matt (Zach Roerig), and my ex-boyfriend, Tyler (Michael Trevino). There are just so many different ways to go with the story. And after my little talk with Kevin Williamson I think they’re going to do some really fascinating things. There’s going to be so many twists and turns — even just talking to him about it I had butterflies in my stomach! I was just so excited about the ideas they’ve been tossing around. So we’ll see what they come up with, but I just know that Kevin and Julie will do a fantastic job whatever they decide.”
io9‘s Charlie Jane Anders has put together a rockin’ post called 10 Lessons Every Other TV Show Should Learn from Vampire Diaries. Agree or disagree, it’s a fantastic breakdown of what the show does right and why it continues to shrug off the “teenage vampire melodrama” label with every twist and cliffhanger. Next time someone asks you why they should check out the show, just send ‘em a link to this.
I feel like there’s sort of an unspoken understanding on television: standalone episodes move fast, but arcs move slowly. An arc on television plays out over an entire season, with a handful of “turning point” episodes. Even shows that have no standalone episodes often seem to unspool their arcs at a fairly leisurely pace, with just one or two major events per episode.
The Vampire Diaries laughs at your slow promenade of plot development. Vampires may live forever, but on this show, their storylines are mayflies. And we’re all the more distracted and obsessed, as a result.
New feature! Friday Night Bites will be a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy. (Okay, technically it’s not Friday night where we’re at, but it is somewhere, right now! So there!)
- Tyler Shields posted a new photoshoot with Michael Trevino in his blog. Get the story behind the impromptu session at Zap2It and check out the photos at Shields’ official site.
- Kat Graham‘s not too worried about Bonnie dying in Season 3. Read more at the TV Addict.
- Stefan & Damon Salvatore and Katherine Pierce make AOL TV’s list of TV’s Sexiest Vampires.
- eTalk MMVA red carpet video interview with Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev.
- Ian Somerhalder‘s “gangsta Road to Avonlea” look at the MuchMusic Video Awards brought a lot of commentary, rounded up by the National Post’s Shinan Govani.
- Vote for Nina Dobrev in Us Magazine’s MuchMusic Video Awards best dressed poll.
- In case you haven’t heard, Paul Wesley will play Anthony Reese, a federal agent, in the action-comedy film The Baytown Disco, which was shot in Lousiana. The film also stars Billy Bob Thornton and Eva Longoria. Details via Coming Soon.
- Ian Somerhalder is featured in Hip-Pop’s Hottest Boys of Summer 2011 countdown.
- Maddie of Candice Accola Web unearthed Leblon photobooth pics from Candice’s Westwood/Turn the Corner birthday celebration in May. Photos feature Candice Accola, Zach Roerig, Kayla Ewell, Kat Graham, Matt Davis, and others. See the photos on Candice Accola Web.
- Variety profiles the Ian Somerhalder Foundation. (Might need to register to read.)
- Elena Gilbert is featured in InStyle’s Vampire Girlfriends Gallery.
- In addition to representing Vampire Diaries at Comic Con International 2011, Kevin Williamson will also be representing his new show, The Secret Circle (based on an L.J. Smith series). Panel information available at TheSecretCircle.net. The Secret Circle, starring Britt Robertson and Thomas Dekker, premieres Thursday, Sept. 15th at 9 p.m., immediately following the Season 3 premiere of The Vampire Diaries.
- Honey 2, starring Kat Graham, opened June 10th in the U.K. and here are some reviews: The Guardian, The Telegraph, Total Film, Front Row Reviews, The Film Review, and Screenjabber. The film will be released direct-to-DVD in the U.S., date to be determined. You can watch a behind-the-scenes video from the film shoot over at Katerina Graham Source.
- Malese Jow attended the Cars 2 premiere at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood on June 18th. Check out photos on Zimbio.
- Steven R. McQueen attended the Joseph Abboud Watch Collection Launch Party in West Hollywood on June 16th. Check out photos at Steven R. McQueen Online.
- More outtakes from Candice Accola‘s Show Me Your Mumu photoshoot have surfaced, via photographer Ryan Hebert’s blog. See them over at Candice Accola Web.
- Snaphot of Nina Dobrev and Kate Walsh playing around on the Perks of Being A Wallflower set, via Nina’s Twitter.
- Kayla Ewell posted a few behind-the-scenes photos from her shoot with photographer Giuliano Bukor: “Okay you guys, a sneak peek!” & “Here’s another photo from the shoot yesterday! Thanks to everyone for a great day!”
- Cute twitvid from Sunday night’s MuchMusic Video Awards red carpet via Ian Somerhalder.
- Joseph Morgan fans: If you’ve been wondering how much longer he’ll be sporting that epic 500 Miles North beard, you’ll be happy to know he has one more day of shooting on June 27th: “…then the beard comes off and the fangs come out.”
- Per his June 13th interview on the VRO, Daniel Gillies has been cast in Canadian pilot Saving Hope, where he’ll be playing a doctor opposite Smallville‘s Erica Durance. More info on the pilot at Zap2It.
- Malese Jow joins the cast for Season 2 of Nickelodeon’s The Troop!, premiering this Saturday, June 25th at 12:30 ET/PT. Malese plays “the new girl in town who’s going to stir things up.” Read all about it at Fanlala.
- Sara Canning is rumored to be the lead in Canadian director Spencer Estabrooks’ horror short, Blitzed. Read about it at the Calgary Herald.
- The Roommate, starring Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester, and co-starring Kat Graham and featuring a brief appearance by Nina Dobrev, is out on DVD and Blu-Ray. Purchase: Blu-Ray U.S.A. / DVD U.S.A. and Blu-Ray U.K. / DVD U.K.
- TV Fanatic interviewed Gina Torres about her new show, Suits, and asked if she’d be willing to return to Mystic Falls as Bree (if the show chose to bring her back from the dead). Read her hilarious response over at TV Fanatic.
- Issue #1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9, co-written by creator Joss Whedon and former Vampire Diaries/now Once Upon a Time writer Andrew Chambliss is available for pre-order via Things From Another World.
- Kayla Ewell mentioned on her Twitter that she is a camp counselor for Royal Family Kids, an organization dedicated to mentoring and supporting foster children whose lives have been affected by abuse. Visit the official Royal Family Kids website for more information.
- Nina Dobrev tweets about supporting Kate Middleton’s recycling of outfits.
- Fans of the late, lamented Lexi can follow @ArielleKebbel, confirmed to be the real deal by Julie Plec.
- And, finally, speaking of Julie Plec… Congrats, Julie!
Those of you heading to San Diego Comic Con this year will be happy to know that a Vampire Diaries panel has been confirmed by Warner Bros. Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Candice Accola, Joseph Morgan, Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec will be attending the panel, which is to be held on Saturday, July 23 at 3:30pm to 4:15pm in Ballroom 20.
The WB are still in the planning stages with regards to what’s going on at the WB booth, merchandise that will be available (we eagerly await the reveal of the Comic Con bags that double as a tent) and what content will be available for fans not attending the con. We’ll be keeping our eyes and ears on the alert for future developments and will let you know as soon as we find things out.