Brace yourselves, everybody! TV Guide has revealed a brand new cold open for The Vampire Diaries Season 4, one that makes a big change from the style we’ve seen in previous seasons, it takes us back to the earliest days of the show.
In our exclusive video below, Elena (Nina Dobrev), Damon (Ian Somerhalder), Stefan (Paul Wesley), Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen), Caroline (Candice Accola), Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Bonnie (Kat Graham) all lend their voices to the narration that will kick off the upcoming fourth season. A variation of this will be used in each episode to catch viewers up on major plot points that have happened thus far.
Need a little something to perk up your Monday? Entertainment Weekly has some Season 4 scoop for us, as well as some answers to a few frequently-asked questions about where things left off in last season’s finale. The teases cover everything from romance to murder, so it sounds like Season 4 will be kicking off in true Vampire Diaries style.
Raise your hand if you have a mythology migraine! First we had vampires, then witches, then werewolves and all kinds of curses, ghosts and magical items in between. Now we’ve got to get a handle on these hybrids before they’re running around all over the place!
It can be pretty tough to keep up with the monsters on this show, but don’t worry, we are here to help. Grab a glass of the red stuff and cuddle up to something furry, this is V-D.net’s first hybrid-specific information and speculation post, for all of your “What the hell, hybrids?!” needs.
The Insider‘s Jarett Weiselman gets more Season 3 goods from Kevin Williamson, who teases whether Katherine will return, Matt’s role in the Vicki/Anna/Bonnie/Jeremy story line, pushing the Vampire Diaries cast out of their comfort zone, the Original family, and The Ripper:
After being forced to embrace his dark side, the fight for Stefan Salvatore’s soul (or whatever it is that kept him so docile in the first two seasons) will be a driving force behind the new season. Williamson reveals: “He just goes crazy this season. But it’s an incremental change. It’s not just The Ripper — it’s a whole arc and we go through every single beat of it. It changes all along the way. The fun of this season will be watching Stefan go through this intense and bloody journey. Very bloody.”
And TV Guide has a peek at yet another new episode still from The Birthday (EP301), this time featuring Alaric and Elena.
Pretty historical costumes ahoy! Tonight’s repeat is episode 19, Klaus, which means we have only three more weeks of reruns before the season three premiere!
Episode refresher course:
- Reaction post & poll
- Complete songlist
- Discuss the episode
- Crissy Calhoun’s recap: Brothers at Arms
Miss a post this week?
- Interviews with Kayla Ewell: Restless Spirits & Family Photos
- Kayla Ewell on the VRO Friday August 19th
- E!Online’s First Look: First Official Vampire Diaries Season 3 Promo Shot
- V-D.net Giveaway: Win a Copy of Crissy Calhoun’s Love You to Death 2!
- Rolling Stone Behind the Scenes Video & Photos with Nina, Paul & Ian
- Erstwhile Exes & the Master Plan: TV Guide Talks with Kayla Ewell
- Interview with Candice Accola, Kat Graham & Steven R. McQueen on Amazon.co.uk
- TVLine’s Exclusive First Look at Guest Star David Gallagher
- TWoP Tubey Awards Finals, Round 4: New Noms for The Vampire Diaries
- Friday Night Bites, August 6-12: Good Deeds, Great Captions & Counting Up Vampires
- What Does Damon Think of Ripper Stefan? Ian Somerhalder Talks About Season 3
- Whet Your Appetite: 30 Seconds of New Season 3 Promo Goodness (VIDEO)
- Steven R. McQueen (Finally) Joins Twitter
The next round in the Television Without Pity Tubeys Finals is up. The Vampire Diaries has nominations in 7 categories this time, (but one of them makes me mad!) out of 13 total.
You have ONE WEEK to get your votes in for this round before the next batch on Monday, August 15th. A new round will post every Monday until August 29th.
The Vampire Diaries is nominated in the following categories for Round 3:
- Favorite Actor Ian Somerhalder
- Favorite Actress: Nina Dobrev
- Most Egregious Product Placement Bing, Ford, Mifi
- Best Single Episode (Drama): Masquerade; The Sun Also Rises
- Best Season Finale
- Most Welcome New Character: Elijah, Katherine
- Most Unwelcome New Character: Klaus
What?! Klaus as most unwelcome new character?! Hey now, the good (and bad) people of Mystic Falls may not have welcomed Klaus with open arms, but as a character he has done an excellent job of shaking things up and doing it with style. He’s also the driving force behind the greatly anticipated reemergence of Ripper Stefan, and I know a lot of us are certainly welcoming that! Let’s show some love for our one and only werepire, guys – vote for somebody else for that category.
Kevin Williamson fielded a few Vampire Diaries questions during The Secret Circle portion of the Television Critics Association press panel today. Here are some choice snippets via Twitter by attending press:
@VladaGelman: Tyler/Caroline/Matt triangle going to be right alongside Stefan/Elena/Damon.
@TVGuideMagazine: Bonnie will be “front and center” during the new season of #VampireDiaries says Kevin Williamson
@TVDWetpaint: A witch is at the root of the Original families mythology – so Kevin Williamson says Bonnie will be at the center of Season 3.
@LauinLA: And Bonnie’s story is integral to next season of #TVD, she’s at the center of both Jeremy’s story and the Stefan/Klaus/hybrid arc.
@BuzzSugar: #VampireDiaries fans: don’t get your hopes up for a cross over with #TheSecretCircle. Kevin Williamson says it ain’t happenin’
The clock is ticking down to the Vampire Diaries Season 3 premiere and, lucky for us, Executive Producer Julie Plec is opening up about what we can expect when the show returns on Thursday, September 15th. In addition to plenty of drama involving Jeremy, Bonnie, back-from-the-dead Vicki and Anna, Elena and Salvatore complications, Caroline and Tyler, and whether Daniel Gillies will return this season as Elijah (was there ever any doubt?), Julie tells TV Guide’s Robyn Ross that they have a lot of planned for the so-called “Year of the Originals”:
You dubbed Season 3 “The Year of the Originals.”
Plec: In the beginning, we’ll catch nice glimpses in flashbacks of a time when Stefan was a true ripper. We’ll get to see what that was like and how he got this reputation that Klaus has been holding on to because Klaus wants Stefan to be his wingman. Then, once we get into our second chapter in mid-fall-early winter, that’s when we’re really going to be digging deeply into the history of the original family and go all the way back in flashbacks to the year 1000 approximately. We’re going to tell their origin story, see where and who Klaus comes from, why he is the way he is and why he so desperately needs some therapy or a hug.
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- Vampire Diaries Season 3 filming has officially started! Matt Davis tweeted the above picture on July 12th: “About to shoot the first shot/scene of TVD S3 with the lovely @ninadobrev and our awesome crew!” Ian Somerhalder tweeted a brief video of the Vampire Diaries Season 3 premiere call sheet. But most importantly, via Zach Roerig: “First wardrobe fitting down and it wasn’t a blue mystic grill shirt!”
- Do you follow the Vampire Diaries producers/writers on Twitter? For teases from the Writers’ Room: @kevwilliamson, @julieplec, @young_brian, @carolinedries, @alseptien, @turimeyer, @ronnenshine, @MichaelNarducci, @EPBleiweiss, @nickwauters.
- Entertainment Weekly’s Spoiler Room has this to say about what to expect from Stefan Salvatore as Season 3 kicks off: “Imagine the meanest, drunkest Stefan you’ve ever seen.” Us: *FISTPUMP!*
- We did this on Twitter, but might as well do it here, too: Happy, happy birthday to Steven R. McQueen (July 13th) and Sara Canning (July 14th)!
- Katherine and Klaus make TV Line’s list of Lovably Despicable Characters: “…[T]hese vamps are lovably deviant.”
- Katerina Graham Source has new outtakes from Kat’s OP photo campagn.
- WetPaint has an amusing piece suggesting gifts for Elena Gilbert’s 18th birthday. (Our favorite? A weapons permit.)
- Seventeen has a peek at Candice Accola’s workout playlist, which includes Metric and The Pixes.
- Kayla Ewell tweeted a link to the trailer for Keeping Up With the Randalls, her upcoming Hallmark TV movie.
- In a Flecking Records poll, Ian Somerhalder is determined to be the third-nicest person on Twitter.
- TV.com puts the Salvatore brothers on their list of Favorite TV Siblings.
- ClevverTV “breaks down Season 3,” but really they just talk about the photo Matt Davis tweeted.
- Ian Somerhalder wishes Sophia Bush a happy birthday. (Ian at 1:28.)
- Former TVD writer John Shiban pops up in The Wrap’s “Vince Gilligan Has ‘Breaking Bad’ — Where Are Other ‘X-Files’ Writers Now?”
Twitter practically exploded today with some exciting casting news: David Gallagher (most recently seen on the big screen in Super 8) will be making an early appearance in The Vampire Diaries season three. You can read all about it at TVline.com:
Best known by TV fans for his run as 7th Heaven‘s Simon, Gallagher will appear on the first two episodes of the CW hit’s new season, TVLine has learned. Playing werewolf Ray Sutton, he will have a grim run-in (a howlingly bad time?) with Klaus in Tennessee.
Now, what could our big bad Klaus possibly want with a plain old werewolf? And what might he and Ripper Stefan be up to in Tennessee? Let your speculations run wild in the comments, we can’t wait to see what you all think might be in store!