Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks.
SPECIAL NOTE: Now that the forums are closed we’re noticing a lot more off-topic links and things appearing in comments. Now that the show is back on we’ll be trying to keep things more focused, but we invite you to share other links and discuss non-tvd topics here in the weekly FNB post.
- What’s Candice Accola reading right now? Check out this video (above) from Hollywood Crush’s Celebrity Book Club.
- Ian Somerhalder wrote about America’s energy crisis for the Daily Beast.
- Hottest girls from the CW? We spy Nina Dobrev and Kat Graham on this list, with bonus of Phoebe Tonkin and Persia White for their work on other shows.
- To celebrate the premiere, YA author Gwenda Bond posted a snippet from her awesome book Blackwood that involves our favorite show.
- Joseph Morgan’s movie Warhouse will screen at the South African Horrorfest 2012.
- Nina Dobrev will be Self Magazine’s cover girl in November.
- And Phoebe Tonkin will appear on the cover of Australian magazine Women’s Fitness, November 2012 edition.
- Great pictures of Paul Wesley and Torrey DeVitto from the Opening Night Gala of the 13th Annual Polish Film Festival Los Angeles.
- And here’s Daniel Gillies at the Kingdom Come premiere.
- Candice Accola supports the Tick-Born Disease Alliance’s Trick’n'Tweet event (VIDEO).
- And head to TV Fanatic to support the Tick-Born Disease Alliance and enter to win a signed cast poster.
- Fantastic Fangirls Scribble in Their Vampire Diaries
We’re a little late with this, apologies, but The VRO is already a week into their annual Vampire Diaries Month of May – a solid month of Vampire Diaries cast and guest star interviews on BlogTalkRadio.
Tonight, May 8th, Susan Walters (Carol Lockwood) kicks things off at 8pm and Steven R. McQueen calls in at 9pm to chat about Season 3 and Jeremy Gilbert.
Here’s who has already stopped by, just to catch you up (all interviews are available to listen to in full):
- May 2nd: Persia White (Abby Bennett)
- May 2nd: Robert Ri’chard (Jamie)
- May 7th: Alice Evans (Esther)
- May 7th: Marguerite MacIntyre (Sheriff Forbes)
All upcoming scheduled interviews (and we have it on good authority more are coming and to be announced, so follow @TheVRO for the latest!):
- May 8th, 8pm ET: Susan Walters (Carol Lockwood)
- May 8th, 9pm ET: Steven R. McQueen (Jeremy Gilbert)
- May 14th, 8pm ET: Casper Zafer (Finn)
- Watch Kat Graham’s new music video for Put Your Graffiti On Me!
- Buy it on Amazon!
- Buy it on iTunes US! Or iTunes UK!
- Get a look at the different styles featured in the video.
- Kat talks about balancing her acting and music careers.
- Also, she likes cupcakes!
- Nathaniel Buzolic gives a personal video appeal to support efforts to end slavery around the world.
- Learn more about the charity Nathaniel mentions at citizeneffect.org.
- This German advertisement for The Vampire Diaries has us a little bit puzzled.
- The Ian Somerhalder Foundation begins the “Lets Get Dirty” initiative, which Ian explains to ecorazzi in this interview.
- Ian Somerhalder interview and red carpet footage from the Humane Society’s 26th Annual Genesis Awards. (VIDEO)
- A brief video of red carpet footage, released by the Humane Society. (VIDEO)
- Glamour had a brief chat with Ian from the Genesis Awards (scroll down, he’s #5!).
- Pictures of Ian at the Genesis Awards. There’s a (famous!) puppy!
- No puppies in these pictures of Ian from Perez Hilton’s birthday party. There’s a hat, though.
- Julie Plec tweeted out this picture of Matt Davis. We’re nervous!
- A gallery of kick-ass women on TV? You’d better believe that Caroline Forbes is in it!
- This is an interesting article about book-to-TV adaptations and the problem of spoilers, with some quotes from Julie Plec.
- Speaking of Julie Plec, we absolutely LOVE this picture of her.
- Check out Persia White backstage at the Wendy Williams show.
- Last but not least, please don’t forget to vote for us in for us in the NewNowNext Awards, in the Superfan Site category!
UPDATE: The VRO has just announced that TVD Executive Producer Julie Plec will be a guest on Friday, May 11th.
Apparently it’s mom interview day today! (Mother’s Day is coming, after all.) Over at The TV Chick, there’s an interview with Persia White about Abby Bennett’s evolution – and her future, in tonight’s episode and potentially beyond. On whether Abby and Bonnie will ever be able to have a good relationship:
“I think that’s something that we’re going to have to see what happens. Abby’s not doing the best job. (laughs) This is all really new for in the sense of I think, when you shut something out for so long… And it’s probably going to be more based on what Bonnie allows, because people who have been abandoned by their parents or parent might want to come back or might want to give themselves but will you be received is the question.”
She also discusses some future projects, including Joseph Morgan’s short film!
The Hollywood Reporter sat down with Ian Somerhalder to discuss the answer to this question: “How would Damon deal with the fact that Elena could choose either brother (or even neither)?” Watch his response below:
And The Insider caught up with Persia White to chat about the final three episodes of The Vampire Diaries Season 3:
Insider: Does she get in the mix with magic in the upcoming episodes?
Persia: Abby helps Bonnie in a pretty pivotal way that involves witchcraft in these last episodes. I know Abby isn’t in a stable place but her help causes some twists that lead to the big events of the season finale. They’re heavily influenced by the problems Abby is helping Bonnie with.
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
Right about now, a lot of Vampire Diaries fans are wishing for a spell that would get us out of this hiatus, but Abby Bennett isn’t talking. Persia White, on the other hand, recently did an interview with Collider.com and has lots to say about vampires, witches, and her career. She also admits that she’d like to get into some more scenes with the vampires on the show, and that’s something we can completely understand!
With so many characters on this show, is there anyone that you’d love to have more scenes or a storyline with?
WHITE: Yeah, there’s a couple. Some of the Originals are just wonderful actors, like Daniel [Gillies] and Joseph [Morgan]. I love Ian [Somerhalder] and Paul [Wesley]. I would love to do more with the vampires. That would be my favorite. I would be intrigued to be dealing with the problems that Damon and Stefan deal with.
Speaking of Bennett witches, a little bird told us that Kat Graham will be joining the PaleyFest Vampire Diaries panel. The panel will be streaming live on March 10th, you can find all the details right here.
Did last night’s encore of The Ties That Bind (EP312) whet your appetite for more about Abby Bennett? Then you’re in luck, because Ology talked to Persia White about what’s coming up for her character. And it looks like Abby’s future will include dealing with her past:
“You know, it’s been interesting playing somebody who’s abandoned their child,” Persia explains. “So inside of Abby, there are guilt issues there. But I think that’s what’s drawn me to the show: it’s not just about vampires and witches, it’s more about human connections. We fall down, we get back up, we make a mistake again. That’s very human.”
Jim Halterman of JimHalterman.com caught up with some of the Vampire Diaries ladies on set recently. Candice Accola, Kat Graham and Persia White all answered questions about what’s going on with their characters in season 3.
There’s been a great deal of speculation about the mysterious Dr. Fell. Is she crazy? Is she evil? We just don’t know! There’s also a lot of interest in her relationship with a certain unlucky-in-love local high school teacher.
Torrey is much to savvy to be giving anything away, but the actress recently spoke with Andy Swift from Holllywood Life, and shared some thoughts on love, life and life expectancy in Mystic Falls.
“I think there’s consequences to every relationship on this show,” she admits. “There are so many components mess them up. It’s hard to maintain a normal, healthy relationship. But I think their relationship is building in a cool way. I like these characters together, I think they work really well. I’m always excited to see where they’re going next.”
Torrey has a lot more to say about her character, READ THE REST OF THE INTERVIEW AT HOLLYWOOD LIFE.
Speaking of complicated relationships: TV Fanatic interviewed Persia White about Abby and Bonnie, and she’s admits that the situation between the two Bennetts is far from ideal.
TV Fanatic: On “The Ties That Bind,” Abby said she’s enjoyed the past 15 years being a “woman,” as opposed to a “witch.” Can you elaborate on that? Will we be seeing or learning about anything else from the character’s past?
Persia White: Abby has a lot of making up for the past mistakes. Being a parent is a huge responsibility and the fact that she is a witch holds an even greater weight… we’ll learn more about her weakness and strengths as the episodes unfold.
Are you ready for the return of The Vampire Diaries this Thursday? Feel like celebrating by supporting an awesome cause and possibly getting your hands on a unique piece of TVD memorabilia?
This week’s episode, Bringing Out The Dead (EP313), was penned by Al Septien and Turi Meyer and they’ve donated a signed script to an eBay auction raising funds for Thomas Starr King Middle School, a public school based in Los Angeles. The script is signed by Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Zach Roerig, Candice Accola, Matt Davis, Kat Graham, Joseph Morgan, Persia White…and others. (Watch tomorrow night!) You can also bid on a Season 2 cast and crew hoodie!
From the school’s website:
We envision a school in which all students will be equipped with meaningful life tools, such as skills in literacy; critical thinking; basic academics; technology; the appreciation of art; democratic values of acceptance, participation and accountability, and the ability to work with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds.
Now is the time for TVD fandom to rally and do what it does best: Support a worthy cause. ALL proceeds from the auction go to helping Thomas Starr King Middle School continue its mission of providing a quality education for its students. That’s an amazing thing for the fandom to be a part of, don’t you think? Please spread the word through Twitter, Facebook, your blog – everywhere!