- Danielle Campbell shared the above photo and one more while she visited CNN with Phoebe Tonkin & Leah Pipes.
- Ian Somerhalder shared a photo from his flight today. [Instagram]
- Check out Paul Wesley looking handsome at a Jaguar event. [Just Jared]
- The bad news first: The CW will not be picking up Star-Crossed for a second season, which featured TVD alums Susan Walters & Malese Jow. They also passed on the Supernatural spinoff, which was to star Nathaniel Buzolic, Sean Faris, and Stephen Martines. In the good news category, though, iZombie, which stars John Gilbert himself, David Anders, was ordered to series. The show will be run by Veronica Mars guru, Rob Thomas. [HitFix]
Miss a post this week?
- Episode Downloads for The Vampire Diaries: Promised Land (EP521)
- Complete Songlist for The Vampire Diaries: Promised Land (EP521)
- Extended Promo for The Vampire Diaries: Home (EP522 – Season Finale)
- Short Promo for The Vampire Diaries: Home (EP522 – Season Finale)
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Vampire Diaries – Promised Land (EP521)
- Previously on The Vampire Diaries: What Lies Beneath (EP520)
- TONIGHT – The Vampire Diaries: Promised Land (EP521) Airs at 8/7c
- The Originals In Review: The Battle of New Orleans (EP121) – The Way It Had To Be
- Vampire Diaries In Review: What Lies Beneath (EP520) – Cabin in the Woods
- Webclip for The Vampire Diaries: Promised Land (EP521)
- The Originals Casts Daniel Sharman for Season 2
- Episode Downloads for The Originals: The Battle of New Orleans (EP121)
- Complete Songlist for The Originals: The Battle of New Orleans (EP121)
- Extended Promo for The Originals: From a Cradle to a Grave (EP122 – Season Finale)
- Short Promo for The Originals: From a Cradle to a Grave (EP122 – Season Finale)
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Originals – The Battle of New Orleans (EP121)
- Official Stills for The Originals: From a Cradle to a Grave (EP122 – Season Finale)
- TONIGHT – The Originals: The Battle of New Orleans (EP121) Airs at 8/7c
- Previously on The Originals: A Closer Walk With Thee (EP120)
- Michael Malarkey shared this bloody awesome photo of Enzo. [mkmalarkey]
- The CW has released a trailer for Supernatural: Bloodlines, the SPN spinoff starring TVD alums Nathaniel Buzolic, Sean Faris, & Stephen Martines. [Zap2It]
- Congrats to Nina Dobrev for making TV Guide’s list of the year’s best performers. [TV Guide]
- Nina’s movie, Let’s Be Cops, has a new trailer. [ComingSoon]
Miss a post this week?
- Vampire Diaries Post-Mortem: Caroline Dries & Ian Somerhalder Talk Man On Fire (EP519)
- Episode Downloads for The Vampire Diaries: Man on Fire (EP519)
- Complete Songlist for The Vampire Diaries: Man On Fire (EP519)
- Extended Promo for The Vampire Diaries: What Lies Beneath (EP520)
- Short Promo for The Vampire Diaries: What Lies Beneath (EP520)
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Vampire Diaries – Man on Fire (EP519)
- Official Stills for The Vampire Diaries: Home (EP522 – Season Finale)
- Official Synopsis for The Vampire Diaries: Home (EP522 – Season Finale)
- Official Synopsis for The Originals: From a Cradle to a Grave (EP122 – Season Finale)
- Ian Somerhalder & Caroline Dries Preview The Vampire Diaries: Man on Fire (EP519)
- TONIGHT – The Vampire Diaries: Man on Fire (EP519) Airs at 8/7c
- The Originals In Review: An Unblinking Death (EP119) – Not To Give Up, To Let Go
- Previously on The Vampire Diaries: Resident Evil (EP518)
- TheBacklot Interviews Steven Krueger
- Chase Coleman at HitFix: Oliver “feels things are not justified.”
- Episode Downloads for The Originals: An Unblinking Death (EP119)
- Extended Promo for The Originals: A Closer Walk with Thee (EP120)
- Complete Songlist for The Originals: An Unblinking Death (EP119)
- Short Promo for The Originals: A Closer Walk with Thee (EP120)
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Originals – An Unblinking Death (EP119)
- Leah Pipes at TV Guide: Cami’s “Pretty Desperate”
- Previously On The Originals: The Big Uneasy (EP118)
- TONIGHT – The Originals: An Unblinking Death (EP119) Airs at 8/7c
- Vampire Diaries In Review: Resident Evil (EP518) – Trouble in Paradise
- Nina Dobrev posted this photo with NASCAR star Jeff Gordon from the Daytona 500.
- David Anders has been cast in iZombie, a new CW pilot from Veronica Mars scribes Rob Thomas & Diane Ruggiero. Anders will play the show’s bad guy, Blaine. [Deadline]
- Ian Somerhalder announced that his IS Foundation is launching a grant program to help animals in need of urgent medical care. [RYOT.org]
- Ian will also be the Celebrity Monarch at the 20th Mystic Krewe of Mardi Paws event in Mandeville, Louisiana on March 9th. [Nola.com]
- Steven R. McQueen attended the Abercrombie & Fitch Making of a Star Spring Campaign Party. Just Jared Jr has photos. [JustJaredJr]
- Entertainment Weekly talked to Malese Jow about her role on Star-Crossed. [EW]
- Sean Faris, who played Ben back in Season 1 of TVD, has been cast on the new spinoff, Supernatural: Tribes. He’ll play a werewolf named Julian, joining Nathaniel Buzolic, who was announced as one of the show’s leads last week. [Deadline]
- Also joining Buzolic & Faris on Supernatural: Tribes will be Stephen Martines, who played Frederick on TVD. [Deadline]
- CelebTV talked to Kat Graham & Kelly Hu about their favorite hair and makeup looks. [CelebTV]
Miss a post this week?
- Episode Downloads for The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514)
- Complete Songlist for The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514)
- Extended Promo for The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515)
- The Originals In Review: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114) – A Wholly Ineffective Endeavor
- Short Promo for The Vampire Diaries: Gone Girl (EP515)
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Vampire Diaries – No Exit (EP514)
- More TVD: No Exit (EP514) Previews with Caroline Dries at Alloy & Hollywood Life
- Caroline Dries Previews No Exit (EP514) at TVLine & TV Guide
- Previously On The Vampire Diaries: Total Eclipse Of The Heart (EP513)
- TONIGHT – The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514) Airs at 8/7c
- Official Stills for The Originals: Le Grand Guignol (EP115)
- The Vampire Diaries Nominated for 2014 Saturn Award
- Official Synopsis for The Originals: Moon Over Bourbon Street (EP117)
- Episode Downloads for The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- CW Sets Season Finale Dates for The Vampire Diaries & The Originals
- Complete Songlist for The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Extended Promo for The Originals: Le Grand Guignol (EP115)
- Short Promo for The Originals: Le Grand Guignol (EP115)
- Reaction Post & Poll: The Originals – Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Joseph Morgan Talks Originals Return with E!Online + THR
- TVLine Exclusive Webclip for The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514)
- Join EW’s Live Google+ Hangout with Claire Holt Today at 6pm ET/3pm PT
- TONIGHT – The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114) Airs at 8/7c
- TV Guide: Joseph Morgan Teases Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Previously On The Originals: Crescent City (EP113)
- Another Webclip for The Originals: Long Way Back from Hell (EP114)
- Webclip for The Vampire Diaries: No Exit (EP514)
Friday Night Bites is a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or that somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy.
- Ian Somerhalder tweeted the picture above, he’s getting into the holiday spirit.
- Even Malese Jow’s smile is festive!
- What gift did the assistants get for the TVD Writers this year?
- Did they like the present? Yes, they did!
- The smack talk has already begun.
- Joseph Morgan pops up on After Elton’s celebrity Twitterwatch.
- Kevin Williamson probably didn’t need a lot of help setting up his Christmas tree this year.
- Homecoming (EP309) makes #41 on this lit of 50 Best TV Episodes of 2011.
- Where in the world is Carmen Sandi…Daniel Gillies?
- If you DVR TVD, you’re not alone.
- Claire Holt talks about auditioning for The Secret Circle and sharing a network with buddy Phoebe Tonkin.
- Kat Graham looking rather dangerous at the Chrysalis Charity Benefit. Mind the sharp bits!
- Happy Hanukkah! Kat Graham and Mia Kirshner appear at numbers 9 and 32 on this list.
- Well of course The Vampire Diaries makes a great gift!
- A list of theTop Ten Charitable Celebrities, and Ian Somerhalder is on it.
- Malese Jow is picking out some ologies.
- Ian’s apple pic makes a list of Top 10 Best Celebrity Twitter Pictures.
- Al Septien tweeted this pic of himself, Nina Dobrev and Turi Meyer.
- And this one of himself, Turi Meyer, Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder.
- Joseph Morgan is one of the Top Ten Hump Day Hotties of 2011.
- Interesting Q&A with the Founder of Give Back Hollywood.
- A little Steven R. McQueen for your Friday.
- Nina Dobrev talks about trying to protect her hair from all the abuse it gets on set.
- Do you want Kat Graham’s look? Daniel Curet tweeted some tips.
- Speaking of looks, TV Guide takes on a fashion challenge.
Thanks to @CW_VampDiaries for the heads up on IESB’s exclusive interview with Steven R. McQueen (man, we feel a bit guilty for complaining about the lack of Steven press now…). It’s extensive and chock full o’great stuff, including his family’s acting legacy (and forging his own identity as an actor), and he reveals he also auditioned for the CW’s Melrose Place, the challenges of playing Jeremy and losing Kayla Ewell (Vicki), and his upcoming film, Piranha 3-D.
IESB: Was there any hesitation at all, in signing on to play a character that you could end up playing for a number of years?
Steven: Yeah, that was something that me and my agent talked about, but I thought it would be a good experience to learn and stick with a character for a long time, when previously I’ve only been a character for a short amount of time and then have to lose it. I wanted to learn to adapt a character over a long period of time, rather than keeping in the same place. Jeremy is constantly changing. In the beginning, he had all these drug issues and was rebelling against the world. All of a sudden, he had all of his pain and grief sucked out of him, and now he’s in a completely different mental place. It’s almost like I haven’t been playing the same character for a long amount of time, so I’ve enjoyed it.
And photographer Tyler Shields has just posted photos and video from his shoot with upcoming Vampire Diaries guest star Sean Faris. Um, potentially NSFW, and your monitor/screen might melt – just a warning. Here’s a taster photo – click it to view the rest on Tyler’s website. Let him know what you think as you fan yourself.
TV Guide has a chat with Ian Somerhalder about what’s on everyone’s mind: the issue of Damon, Elena, and Katherine, and what happens when/if Katherine comes back into the picture.
Damon isn’t always upbeat, though. Somerhalder teased an upcoming episode of the CW series (Thursdays at 8/7c) in which he’s anguished. “I had to shoot a scene where Damon was not happy at all. … and my whole day was shot because I was miserable. Normally I walk around set laughing and joking, pulling pranks on people and just screwing with everyone. [Paul Wesley, who plays Stefan] is always so intense, because he’s got so much going on in his mind. I thought, whoa, that’s heavy.”
MTV’s Hollywood Crush talks to Steven R. McQueen about his careers thus far, road tripping with his fellow cast-mates, and his first true taste of the Vampire Diaries hype:
Since Atlanta is pretty far removed from Hollywood, Steven said that the cast felt a completely different taste of their newfound fame when they went back to L.A. for the winter holidays. “In Atlanta we don’t really feel the hype, but going back to LA, I’ll tell you it was crazy. We’d just be in random places and people would just start running up and crying. It was very surreal. It’s a little intimidating, but it was cool.”
Parade chats with Sara Canning about what’s next for Jenna, the supernatural, and how The Vampire Diaries has carved its own niche in the vampire genre:
“When I did the pilot, I knew, of course, that there was a huge vampire fascination right now, but I guess we weren’t really sure how the show would be received. But it’s developed so well with its own fans. I think a lot of people thought, ‘Okay, this is just going to be another Twilight.’ But Vampire Diaries has a very specific group of fans who are not only interested in the vampire thing, but also the characters on the show and the storylines.”
Guest star Sean Faris makes his debut on tonight’s episode, Unpleasantville, and Betty Confidential isn’t able to get much out of him other than some insight into who he’ll be playing, but he also talks his recent Men’s Health cover, his cooking, and his idea of the perfect date:
Tell us about your character Ben on The Vampire Diaries.
Ben is a former star football player at the town’s high school and he didn’t really do much with his life, so while his other friends moved on he got stuck in Mystic Falls. He discovers the beautiful Bonnie (Katerina Graham) and they start to hang out for a little bit. I can’t really tell you anything beyond that or I’d get in trouble.
Vampire Diaries TV recapper Carina MacKenzie’s interview with Nina Dobrev is up at the LA Times. They cover a lot of ground, from auditioning, living in Atlanta, and leaving Degrassi, to her inspiration behind Katherine, Elena’s discovery about her resemblance to Katherine in The Turning Point, and what fans can expect in upcoming episodes. (She also divulges her favorite episode so far.)
You’ve got a rare opportunity as an actress to be able to play two characters in one show and explore the different ways that Elena and Katherine interact with the brothers. Is there anything that Elena and Katherine have in common?
At this point, I don’t think so. At one point, Stefan describes Katherine and then he talks to someone else about Elena, and he points out their differences. Katherine was very conniving, she was narcissistic, she acted out of her own benefit and for her own selfish needs. She used these two boys as her toys. They were toys for her, and she had a lot of fun with them. I’m so lucky — I just love this show.
Digital Spy’s Tube Talk has posted their own interview with Nina, where she gives her thoughts on Elena’s future, her relationship with Stefan, and pulling double duty in playing both Elena and Katherine. Check out the piece and watch the interview below:
Entertainment Weekly’s Michael Ausiello just posted an exclusive first look at the January 28th episode of The Vampire Diaries, which we still believe to be called Unpleasantville (EP12). (Click image to see it in the Gallery.)
[The Jan. 28 episode] finds Stefan, Elena, Bonnie, Caroline, and Damon converging on the high school for a ’50s-themed dance.
And big thanks to Nina Dobrev for posting our first look at recurring guest star Sean Faris (who will be playing Mystic Falls bartender Ben) on the set of Vampire Diaries. Nina says he’s a “really cool cat.”
Remember that People.com poll we mentioned a while back? The one that ruffled so many feathers with its “Second-Hottest Vampire” designation (assuming RPattz was number one)? Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley were included and, well, the results are in – as voted by People.com readers (click the screenshot to go to People.com):
Speaking of the Vampire Diaries ladies – the new issue of InStyle magazine features a two-page spread with Nina, Candice, Katerina, and Kayla Ewell. And the Jan/Feb issue of Men’s Health has future recurring guest star Sean Faris on its cover. (Thanks to @sabinetbfl and @Joselito4390 for the heads up.) And don’t forget to watch for Paul, Nina, and Ian on the February 2010 NYLON cover.
Thanks to book cover maven Lorraine of L.J. Smith Cover Resource, we now have some much better scans of Brazil’s The Struggle and the U.K. omnibus covers for The Awakening & The Struggle and The Fury & Dark Reunion. Click the images below to see bigger version in the Gallery.
By the way, if you’re a fan of L.J. Smith’s other series, or just a book cover fan in general, you really should swing by L.J. Smith Cover Resource and check out the plethora of international covers that are coming out. It really is a renaissance for the author’s work and Lorraine has it all.
According to the Ausiello Files, Sean Faris has been cast to play a new character named Ben, an ex-high school football star-turned-bartender at the Mystic Grill. It makes sense, because we don’t see Sheriff Forbes letting the last one out of lock-up for quite some time after serving drinks to minors in last week’s episode.
“He’s Matt’s buddy,” says a Vampire insider. “He gets entangled in the group when a broke Matt takes a job at the Mystic Grill.”
The Vamp source also hints at a possible romance between Ben and one of the show’s females. But which one? Let the speculation begin in the comments!
Vampire Diaries Online has an interview with Katerina Graham. The interview was conducted with the ever-awesome Ms. Graham by Kaylie Rodrigues for her school newspaper. There’s a whole lot of interesting stuff in there for Katerina Graham fans, from Bonnie and the Vampire Diaries to more personal topics of conversation. Head on over and check it out.
People Magazine has a fun little feature: 100 Sexy Men in 1 Minute. Mostly notable for the fact that Vampire Diaries‘ Mr. Somerhalder and Mr. Wesley both feature it in, but it’s also a bit of fun naming everyone who flashes by while trying to avoid a bout of motion sickness caused by the speed of some of the images. ;)
Finally, we have a scheduled release date for the TV series tie-in cover of Dark Reunion. Like The Fury, no cover yet, but you can get your paws on it on the 25th May, 2010.