Tonight’s much-anticipated return of The Vampire Diaries marks Paul Wesley‘s directorial debut with Resident Evil (EP518). Congratulations, Paul! He’s been making the rounds with the press in honor of the occasion, so we’ve got a whole lot of reading for you to help pass the time until the episode. If we find more interviews, we’ll add them on, so check back later! And make sure you tune in to the CW tonight at 8/7c for the episode!
- Paul Wesley Sinks His Fangs Into Directing ‘The Vampire Diaries’ [Wall Street Journal]
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’: Director Paul Wesley explains why he nixed a shirtless moment in this week’s episode [Entertainment Weekly]
- The Vampire Diaries’ Paul Wesley: Directorial Debut Addresses the Future of Stefan and Elena [TV Guide]
- ‘The Vampire Diaries’: Paul Wesley makes his directorial debut with ‘nostalgic’ episode filled with easter eggs [Zap2it]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’: Paul Wesley on ‘Daunting’ Directorial Debut and Unexpected Hiccups [The Hollywood Reporter]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Paul Wesley on His Directorial Debut [Give Me My Remote]
The Originals returns with new episodes tonight, and TV Guide spoke with Nathan Parsons about the possibilities for Jackson and Hayley:
“Hayley is a werewolf but she has no idea what that really means because she didn’t grow up with the pack. She does not understand the traditions, and those traditions are very important to Jackson, so who knows if they could ever be together? She walks the line between the wolves and the vampires and both factions want her. As for Elijah, he’s a pretty formidable opponent for Jackson but you’ll start to see that the two guys are surprisingly similar. They both bear the responsibility of tending to a really messed-up family, and they share the pain and agony that goes with that.”
He also discusses the audition process and his role on True Blood.
The Vampire Diaries returns this week with Resident Evil (EP518), and TV Guide has an exclusive clip from the episode, featuring an “awkward run-in” between Damon and Elena.
Couldn’t make it to PaleyFest? We’ve got you covered with plenty of links to pictures and coverage from the weekend’s events. Enjoy! (And more coverage may be trickling in this week, so check back later for additions!)
- PaleyFest 2014: THE ORIGINALS and THE VAMPIRE DIARIES Panel Photos [Give Me My Remote]
The Vampire Diaries
- 5 Mini Vampire Diaries Teases [TV Guide]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Stars and EPs Reveal Season 5 Secrets [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Vampire Diaries @ PaleyFest: ‘Hope For Stelena,’ Katherine’s Possible Return and More Scoop [TVLine]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Caroline Dries on the ‘Linchpin’ in the Mythology, Bonnie’s Crisis, the Triangle, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Ian Somerhalder on What’s Next For Damon and Elena [Give Me My Remote]
- THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Nina Dobrev on Losing Katherine, Elena’s Troubles, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- On the Red Carpet’s video interviews: Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Paul Wesley on directing
- The Originals @ PaleyFest: Claire Holt Explains Her Exit, Plus Scoop on Elijah’s ‘Unraveling’ [TVLine]
- The Originals: Claire Holt Sets Record Straight on Why She Left [TV Guide]
- THE ORIGINALS: Daniel Gillies on Elijah/Hayley, Klaus’ Betrayal, and More [Give Me My Remote]
- THE ORIGINALS: Julie Plec on the Possibility of Rebekah Returning via Flashbacks — or to THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (Video Below) [Give Me My Remote]
- On the Red Carpet’s video interviews: Joseph Morgan, Leah Pipes, Danielle Campbell, Phoebe Tonkin, Daniel Gillies, Charles Michael Davis
So what exactly happened in the final moments of last night’s Vampire Diaries? (Other than a helluva lot of awesome, that is?) Caroline Dries chats with TV Guide about the events of Gone Girl. If you haven’t seen the episode yet, beware major spoilers!
“We’ve seen characters appear to Bonnie [Kat Graham], the anchor, and go through Bonnie and that’s their initiation into the other side. When Katherine died, that didn’t happen and [instead] she’s ripped out of Bonnie’s arms and sucked into wherever by some dark void. We don’t say anything religious like Heaven or Hell, but that’s the implication — she’s going to a dark world.”
Need a few hints of what’s to come when The Vampire Diaries returns with No Exit (EP514) tonight? EP Caroline Dries has you covered with a few new interviews. At TVLine, she talks about Katherine-as-Elena’s plans for Stefan, whether Elena will be back, and Damon’s path:
“It’s not going to be an easy road for Damon to come back, because what he did was pretty bad. What we’re trying to explore is, now that Stefan is moving on from Elena after this whole Katherine chapter closes, he’s trying to figure out the next big movement in his life. And since his brother needs him more than ever, Stefan will be the one to kind of pick him up — in a very Stefan kind of way.”
She also talks Matt, Tyler, Caroline, and more.
And over at TV Guide, Dries discusses the complex relationships between the Salvatores, Elena, and Katherine, and how they will affect things going forward. On Damon’s infection:
“We knew what we were doing when we put this in him, but at the same time it’s like, ‘OK, what do we do now because he actually might not get out of it?’ So Damon’s objective is: How do I survive without killing all my friends who happen to be the thing I want to eat?”
We’ll be seeing lots of interviews with Joseph Morgan pop up in the next 24 hours, but TV Guide is first out of the gate with a sneak peek at what’s to come on tomorrow night’s all-new episode of The Originals, Long Way Back from Hell (EP114). He’s also previewing what we can expect as we move towards the end of the season and shares his thoughts on Klaus and Caroline’s TVD100 tryst.
With Klaus’ alienation, it’s no surprise he’ll soon delve into the werewolf side of his family, a history that has barely been explored on the show thus far. “Klaus is going to gradually show more interest in the other side of his family,” Morgan says. “He’s been primarily a vampire, but you know his last name is Mikaelson which means son of Mikael, which he’s not. So that will be really interesting. As Hayley decides how she wants to have his baby and who she wants to have around to protect her, it’ll be interesting to see where he stands [between the two worlds]. He is part werewolf even though that part has been neglected [for] the last thousand years.”
Caroline and Tyler’s relationship is the talk of the town lately, as is her “moment in the woods” with Klaus (ten thousand bonus points to anyone who gets that showtune reference).
Fans have a lot of questions about Caroline’s love life in general, and TV Guide asks a lot of them for us. Candice answers questions about Klaus, Stefan and whether or not she thinks Tyler and Caroline’s relationship can be salvaged. Is even a friendship possible? Candice replies:
What about just as friends?
Accola: Caroline needs this idea of perfection and for no one to be mad at her and for everyone to be happy at all times, so we’ll see a lot of great scenes coming up between Caroline and Tyler with her struggling to find a friendship, but also release some of the guilt she’s been holding onto because she knows she made a mistake. The one thing to remember is that they’re 19 and 20. If Caroline was my age it’s like, you know better. At 19 and 20 and it’s your first boyfriend and you’re high on hormones and haven’t fallen down a lot in relationships, it’s an opportunity to learn a lesson, just the really hard way. That’s how I looked at Caroline’s choice of being with Klaus and that’s why I don’t necessarily see her and Tyler reconciling their relationship, but I think there’s possibility for them to be friends.
TV Guide has a second, and exclusive webclip, from this Thursday’s episode of The Vampire Diaries: Total Eclipse of the Heart (EP513). Damon and Stefan have a brotherly chat…and it goes about as well as can be expected.
OKAY? OKAY. If you’re jonesing for some insight and teases following last night’s epic 100th episode, behold! A list! Julie Plec talks about what went down in the 100th episode, how those events could reverberate throughout the rest of Season 5, and more.
OODLES OF SPOILERS AT THESE LINKS! Beware if you haven’t watched last night’s episode yet. But here’s a non-spoilery comment from Julie’s Q&A with The Hollywood Reporter:
We have a lot of stories to tell, which is the good news, so there doesn’t need to be an ultimate end date. I think we will keep going as long as we have good stories to tell and as long as people who work on the show want to stay with us and tell us good stories. When the stories start disintegrating into those pitches that we swore we’d never get to unless we were desperate, then we’ll try to wrap it up. But those decisions come with a lot of people’s input — a lot of people’s opinions so we shall see.
- THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: ‘Vampire Diaries’ Boss on Katherine’s Shocking Fate: Things Will Get Tricky (Q&A)
- TV LINE: Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Caroline’s Surprise, Katherine’s Plan and Bonnie’s Future
- E!ONLINE: The Vampire Diaries: Julie Plec Dishes on 100th Episode Shockers (and Hookups!), Previews “Painful” Fallout
- ZAP2IT: ‘The Vampire Diaries’ 100th episode: Julie Plec breaks down the Klaroline hookup, Katherine’s sneaky twist and more
- TV GUIDE: Vampire Diaries’ Julie Plec on 100 Episodes, Crafty Katherine and Damon’s Downward Spiral
And here are a few leftover links TVD100 links from yesterday. First up, a must-read piece at Entertainment Weekly about TVD Writer’s Room debates, big and small:
The cure was something Plec and Williamson thought up before they even wrote one word of the series. When the decision was made to turn Elena, they knew they needed to be able to cure her. But four years later, they weren’t so sure she was the one they wanted to cure anymore. “When Kevin and I first started talking about it it was Elena, of course. And then it was Jose Molina, who was our writer during season 4 who said, ‘But if you start the season searching for a cure for Elena and then you end the season and you cure her, then isn’t that kind of a buzz kill because you accomplished the exact thing you set out to do and don’t you just generally want to twist that?’”
- BUZZFEED: “The Vampire Diaries” Welcomes Back A Familiar Face For The 100th Episode
- TV FANATIC: The Vampire Diaries Stars Celebrate 100 Episodes, Share Favorite Moments