New feature! Friday Night Bites will be a weekly round-up for various tidbits of show and cast/crew news not quite big enough to warrant a blog post, not strictly Vampire Diaries-related, or somehow just fell through the cracks. Please insert theme song by Explosions in the Sky here and enjoy. (Okay, technically it’s not Friday night where we’re at, but it is somewhere, right now! So there!)
- Tyler Shields posted a new photoshoot with Michael Trevino in his blog. Get the story behind the impromptu session at Zap2It and check out the photos at Shields’ official site.
- Kat Graham‘s not too worried about Bonnie dying in Season 3. Read more at the TV Addict.
- Stefan & Damon Salvatore and Katherine Pierce make AOL TV’s list of TV’s Sexiest Vampires.
- eTalk MMVA red carpet video interview with Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev.
- Ian Somerhalder‘s “gangsta Road to Avonlea” look at the MuchMusic Video Awards brought a lot of commentary, rounded up by the National Post’s Shinan Govani.
- Vote for Nina Dobrev in Us Magazine’s MuchMusic Video Awards best dressed poll.
- In case you haven’t heard, Paul Wesley will play Anthony Reese, a federal agent, in the action-comedy film The Baytown Disco, which was shot in Lousiana. The film also stars Billy Bob Thornton and Eva Longoria. Details via Coming Soon.
- Ian Somerhalder is featured in Hip-Pop’s Hottest Boys of Summer 2011 countdown.
- Maddie of Candice Accola Web unearthed Leblon photobooth pics from Candice’s Westwood/Turn the Corner birthday celebration in May. Photos feature Candice Accola, Zach Roerig, Kayla Ewell, Kat Graham, Matt Davis, and others. See the photos on Candice Accola Web.
- Variety profiles the Ian Somerhalder Foundation. (Might need to register to read.)
- Elena Gilbert is featured in InStyle’s Vampire Girlfriends Gallery.
- In addition to representing Vampire Diaries at Comic Con International 2011, Kevin Williamson will also be representing his new show, The Secret Circle (based on an L.J. Smith series). Panel information available at TheSecretCircle.net. The Secret Circle, starring Britt Robertson and Thomas Dekker, premieres Thursday, Sept. 15th at 9 p.m., immediately following the Season 3 premiere of The Vampire Diaries.
- Honey 2, starring Kat Graham, opened June 10th in the U.K. and here are some reviews: The Guardian, The Telegraph, Total Film, Front Row Reviews, The Film Review, and Screenjabber. The film will be released direct-to-DVD in the U.S., date to be determined. You can watch a behind-the-scenes video from the film shoot over at Katerina Graham Source.
- Malese Jow attended the Cars 2 premiere at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood on June 18th. Check out photos on Zimbio.
- Steven R. McQueen attended the Joseph Abboud Watch Collection Launch Party in West Hollywood on June 16th. Check out photos at Steven R. McQueen Online.
- More outtakes from Candice Accola‘s Show Me Your Mumu photoshoot have surfaced, via photographer Ryan Hebert’s blog. See them over at Candice Accola Web.
- Snaphot of Nina Dobrev and Kate Walsh playing around on the Perks of Being A Wallflower set, via Nina’s Twitter.
- Kayla Ewell posted a few behind-the-scenes photos from her shoot with photographer Giuliano Bukor: “Okay you guys, a sneak peek!” & “Here’s another photo from the shoot yesterday! Thanks to everyone for a great day!”
- Cute twitvid from Sunday night’s MuchMusic Video Awards red carpet via Ian Somerhalder.
- Joseph Morgan fans: If you’ve been wondering how much longer he’ll be sporting that epic 500 Miles North beard, you’ll be happy to know he has one more day of shooting on June 27th: “…then the beard comes off and the fangs come out.”
- Per his June 13th interview on the VRO, Daniel Gillies has been cast in Canadian pilot Saving Hope, where he’ll be playing a doctor opposite Smallville‘s Erica Durance. More info on the pilot at Zap2It.
- Malese Jow joins the cast for Season 2 of Nickelodeon’s The Troop!, premiering this Saturday, June 25th at 12:30 ET/PT. Malese plays “the new girl in town who’s going to stir things up.” Read all about it at Fanlala.
- Sara Canning is rumored to be the lead in Canadian director Spencer Estabrooks’ horror short, Blitzed. Read about it at the Calgary Herald.
- The Roommate, starring Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester, and co-starring Kat Graham and featuring a brief appearance by Nina Dobrev, is out on DVD and Blu-Ray. Purchase: Blu-Ray U.S.A. / DVD U.S.A. and Blu-Ray U.K. / DVD U.K.
- TV Fanatic interviewed Gina Torres about her new show, Suits, and asked if she’d be willing to return to Mystic Falls as Bree (if the show chose to bring her back from the dead). Read her hilarious response over at TV Fanatic.
- Issue #1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9, co-written by creator Joss Whedon and former Vampire Diaries/now Once Upon a Time writer Andrew Chambliss is available for pre-order via Things From Another World.
- Kayla Ewell mentioned on her Twitter that she is a camp counselor for Royal Family Kids, an organization dedicated to mentoring and supporting foster children whose lives have been affected by abuse. Visit the official Royal Family Kids website for more information.
- Nina Dobrev tweets about supporting Kate Middleton’s recycling of outfits.
- Fans of the late, lamented Lexi can follow @ArielleKebbel, confirmed to be the real deal by Julie Plec.
- And, finally, speaking of Julie Plec… Congrats, Julie!
TV Fanatic’s Gabrielle Compolongo caught up with Zach Roerig to discuss the reasons behind Matt’s actions on the show, his relationship with Caroline and Tyler, possible love interests, and whether or not he’ll survive this season of the Vampire Diaries…
Why is Matt complying with the sheriff when he knows Caroline would never hurt him?
I’m not sure if he knows Caroline would never hurt him. Matt’s ultimate instinct is to do the right thing and in that instance, the right thing was a very cloudy thing. Whether to be against the vampires and the woman that he loves, or to be on the “obvious” good side. There was an inner struggle there. Complying was his attempt to do the right thing.
Tyler Lockwood returned to our screens after an unwelcome hiatus last week, and now there’s a hot new Michael Trevino photo shoot to boot. We’ve got one of the images for you below, and you can see the others over on Just Jared.
The CW has posted more behind the scenes goodness in the Mystic Diaries series – two follow-up videos from Nina Dobrev and Zach Roerig. Both are from The Last Dance (EP218) filming and feature appearances by: Ian Somerhalder! Katerina Graham! Candice Accola! Marguerite MacIntryre! Various crew members! Paul Wesley’s back! And an awesome look at how the stunts and magic were pulled together for this episode. International fans can view these videos so click on the screencaps below to view over at the CW’s Vampire Diaries Lair.
AOL TV Squad’s The Show Girl has more from her on-set video interviews with the Vampire Diaries cast and this time Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Katerina Graham, Steven R. McQueen, Zach Roerig, Matt Davis, Ian Somerhalder, and Candice Accola are discussing the arrival of Klaus and their wishes for Season 3 (“surviving” is a recurring theme, heh). Click the screencap below to watch over at TV Squad.
New episodes, new installments of the CW’s behind-the-scenes series Mystic Diaries! This time it’s Nina Dobrev and Zach Roerig strolling us through filming, with special appearances by Katerina Graham, Ian Somerhalder, Steven R. McQueen, Candice Accola, and the Vampire Diaries crew. Click the screencaps below to watch in the Vampire Diaries Lair on cwtv.com. (International fans can view, too!)
Oh, Matt. We’re not going to give anything away here about last night’s rather distressing developments on the Matt and Caroline front, but – oh, Matt. Zap2It‘s Carina MacKenzie has posted her set visit sit down with Zach Roerig, who believes – like so many of us – that Matt is a good guy to the core and will do that right thing. (“Matt is gonna be a man. He’s gonna man up.”) He also talks about a possible return by Melinda Clarke as Mama Donovan and (most importantly) he says, “Care, get in the truck!” TWICE.
“Knowing Matt as a person, at the end of the day these are all people that he really loves. Once he gets over the shock and the general fear, he’ll reach a point of understanding. I don’t think he’s going to turn his back on Caroline forever, and especially, Matt will never turn his back on Elena.”
CW Source returns with another Vampire Diaries cast interview, this time with Candice Accola. The usual topics are covered: Caroline, Matt, Tyler, singing, and impending doom.
Maggie Furlong, AOL’s The Show Girl, posted this HILARIOUS video of the Vampire Diaries cast – Candice Accola, Katerina Graham, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Zach Roerig, Matt Davis, Steven R. McQueen, and Sara Canning – talking about all things Twitter, including who was responsible for getting the notorious #NoTwitterPaul on the service, their favorite follows, and a hilarious Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation. Click the screencap below to watch the video over at AOL TV Squad.
This is Kat’s face when she learns Paul has a Twitter:
Priceless. Also, NEWFLASH! Steven R. McQueen is the only main cast member who remains Twitterless. #NoTweetMcQueen in full effect, so stop following those fake accounts!
Rogue Events’ Insurgence: The Return has just added a Vampire Diaries guest to their line-up (announced via Twitter) – Zach Roerig! Zach joins previously announced TVD guests Michael Trevino, Lauren Cohan, and David Anders for the convention, June 3-5, 2011 at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel adjacent to the NEC Complex in Birmingham.
This week it was Candice Accola’s turn to make the interview rounds. (And there should be more coming!) First up, IGN‘s Eric Goldman chats with Candice about one of the show’s unexpected friendships.
IGN: We saw a little bit in that very episode of the dynamic between Stefan and Caroline again, who has become a friend and mentor to her in a way that we never could have conceived of before she became a vampire. Is that something we might see explored further?
Accola: I hope so. I really love working with Paul [Wesley] and I also think it is a really great friendship. I love how those scenes come together. I think the character of Stefan really has this kind of newfound sense of protection. I think it gives both characters really great opportunities to show their capacity for being a good friend.
TV Line‘s Meg Masters asks about another of Caroline’s relationships – her on-again, off-again romance with Matt – and wonders if it’s time for Matt to be in on Mystic Falls’ secrets.
TVLINE | Do you think Matt should be let in on Mystic Falls’ secrets? It would certainly make things easier for Caroline.
On one hand, it’s a vampire show so what fun is it if the secret is out and everyone knows about it? [Laughs] The show needs that conflict of people being in the dark. And the best part about it is the anticipation of what will happen when they do find out. I’m excited to see what the writers decide to do.
And speaking of Matt and Caroline, Zap2It‘s Carina MacKenzie has quite the lengthy conversation with Candice and Zach Roerig about The House Guest‘s big romantic moment – and we’ll get to hear Candice sing! (There’s also an exclusive behind-the-scene still from the ep, so be sure to check it out.)
Candice admits that the more romantic scenes with Zach came as a bit of a relief to her. “It’s a lot easier to go to work knowing that you’re going to spend the day laughing and having fun as opposed to crying and hyperventilating and sweating in a cage in an RV,” she laughs. “I’m such a romantic at heart. I love a good ‘awww’ kind of moment.”
And TV Guide‘s Robyn Ross follows up with Sara Canning on the Jenna/Alaric cliffhanger from last week’s The Dinner Party. And by “cliffhanger,” we mean Alaric’s deafening silence in response to Jenna asking him for the truth. (Ouch, right?)
Canning says her character has grown as a parental guardian and as a person making smarter choices, so she’s excited about what lies ahead:
“In the next few episodes we’re going to see something happen that is really going to rock her world and have her question if she is in such a steady and stable spot as she thought she was.”
Three of TVD’s upstanding young gentlemen are featured in the March 2011 issue of GQ: Michael Trevino, Steven R. McQueen, and Zach Roerig looking rambunctious in some clothes from designer Alexander Wang. Thanks to Steven R. McQueen Online for the scan and to I Heart Vampire Diaries for the heads up!